The Student Room Group

GCSE's matter for Uni?

I'm planning to go to Uni in 2022 and some of the courses I am looking at have one grade above what I got in GCSE (e.g. Ask for a 7/A in GCSE maths when I got a 6/B). Do I even bother to apply to the course? Will they automatically not even give me an offer because I scored one grade lower than what they ask what would be 2 years ago when I go the the Uni.

P.S yes I've seen the new Gaudian post online for entry requirements due to 2021 people receiving predicted grades but for 2022 I think this will go down because we will go back to testing.
If you dont meet a subject specific GCSE grade it is normally an automatic rejection. Over the years the years universities have been flexible over A level grades but not GCSE grades. Whether they will be as flexible this or next year nobody knows. If you want to go to that university you need to resit your Maths GCSE,
Original post by Ndexter456
I'm planning to go to Uni in 2022 and some of the courses I am looking at have one grade above what I got in GCSE (e.g. Ask for a 7/A in GCSE maths when I got a 6/B). Do I even bother to apply to the course? Will they automatically not even give me an offer because I scored one grade lower than what they ask what would be 2 years ago when I go the the Uni.

P.S yes I've seen the new Gaudian post online for entry requirements due to 2021 people receiving predicted grades but for 2022 I think this will go down because we will go back to testing.

GCSEs are a line in the sand normally. Not meeting them most likely leads to quick rejection.

It’s better to resit one or two if needed.
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
GCSEs are a line in the sand normally. Not meeting them most likely leads to quick rejection.

It’s better to resit one or two if needed.

So, I'm currently going into year 13 in September and am not looking to resit. Do I still bother applying?
So, I'm currently going into year 13 in September and am not looking to resit. Do I still bother applying?

Their is no harm in emailing the university admissions before applying, but I would not advise applying, no point wasting a slot on your application.
(edited 2 years ago)
What are you applying for, and what are your A-Levels? Usually grade 7 in Mathematics GCSE tends to be for Economics courses?
Original post by econhelp525
What are you applying for, and what are your A-Levels? Usually grade 7 in Mathematics GCSE tends to be for Economics courses?

Bath use it for Psychology as well maybe others do
Reply 7

yup (Economics and Politics) I thought that choosing Economics, History and Politics for A-levels would be a decent choice. I was originally going to do Maths instead of Economics but thought the work load would be too much and Economics would still look really good if not better.... Worst part is that Economics is currently my best preforming subject with A in my recent mocks and predicted A*. And I wont be able to do it at uni..
(edited 2 years ago)
yup (Economics and Politics) I thought that choosing Economics,History and Politics for A-levels would be a decent choice. I was originally going to do Maths instead of Economics but thought the work load would be too much and Economics would still look really good if not better....

You wont get in dont bother applying. Most leading universities require grade A at Maths A level for Economics. You could try Politics on is own or Politics and IR. They dont usually have a Maths requirement. Economics in many places is Maths based.

really does depend on the uni course ur looking at
yup (Economics and Politics) I thought that choosing Economics,History and Politics for A-levels would be a decent choice. I was originally going to do Maths instead of Economics but thought the work load would be too much and Economics would still look really good if not better....

Oh, okay. Well, usually those grade 7 in Maths requirements could be circumvented if you had an A or B (or whatever the requirement is for the university) in A-Level maths. I know that Nottingham does that. But since you don't have A-Level maths, and you only have a 6 at GCSE, things are looking a bit tough!

Economics does not look better than maths for an Economics related degree. Maths is a necessary component, and, really, I have not used any of my A-Level economics in my degree. In fact, all of macro A-Level was just a complete lie. Maths is far, far, more useful.

It's not too late for you, thought. You could self-study the entire A-Level maths in one year. Personally, I got a 6 at GCSE maths, and just about scrapped into the A-Level maths course at the grammar school sixth form I wanted to get in to, and I ended up with a B at A-Level. It's not impossible.

Have you looked at Loughborough Economics? AAB, with a 6 in maths. Personally, I didn't like the module choices, but it might be an option for you. What about Lancaster for Economics, Politics, and IR? That's ABB with a 6 in maths.
Reply 11
Oh, okay. Well, usually those grade 7 in Maths requirements could be circumvented if you had an A or B (or whatever the requirement is for the university) in A-Level maths. I know that Nottingham does that. But since you don't have A-Level maths, and you only have a 6 at GCSE, things are looking a bit tough!

Economics does not look better than maths for an Economics related degree. Maths is a necessary component, and, really, I have not used any of my A-Level economics in my degree. In fact, all of macro A-Level was just a complete lie. Maths is far, far, more useful.

It's not too late for you, thought. You could self-study the entire A-Level maths in one year. Personally, I got a 6 at GCSE maths, and just about scrapped into the A-Level maths course at the grammar school sixth form I wanted to get in to, and I ended up with a B at A-Level. It's not impossible.

Have you looked at Loughborough Economics? AAB, with a 6 in maths. Personally, I didn't like the module choices, but it might be an option for you. What about Lancaster for Economics, Politics, and IR? That's ABB with a 6 in maths.

Thanks for the insight into this I appreciate it a lot! I do wish I could go back in time and tell myself to do A-level Maths instead and maybe do the same as you and scrap a B if not try and get an A. I will look into more courses I originally wanted Exeter or bath for my main options now I will look towards the ones you have mentioned like Loughborough, I looked to Cardiff a bit. But honestly I might just end up doing Just Politics at Exeter. I originally wanted to do Politics and Economics because it would have given me a much wider career path for options. Thanks :smile:
A couple of other universities worth looking into are Lancaster and Leicester.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending