The Student Room Group

how to deal with housemate drama?

basically i'm in 2nd year of uni and live with 5 other girls who argue A LOT, we had a lot of drama last year and there was a lot of arguing between 2 girls mainly. Last year i feel like i made a mistake as we all sided with one of the girls (it was an argument about covid and having people over) and it made it very awkward and uncomfortable around the other girl. I'm living with them again this year and tbh I've already decided to distance myself from them because I'm very chill and don't have any personal issues with anyone. However idk what the best plan of action is if things do kick off again, do i just remain neutral with both people who are arguing but risk them getting upset at me for not defending either of them or do i side with who i think is right and make things awkward again like last year? I just want a drama free year ffs HELP
Original post by Anonymous
basically i'm in 2nd year of uni and live with 5 other girls who argue A LOT, we had a lot of drama last year and there was a lot of arguing between 2 girls mainly. Last year i feel like i made a mistake as we all sided with one of the girls (it was an argument about covid and having people over) and it made it very awkward and uncomfortable around the other girl. I'm living with them again this year and tbh I've already decided to distance myself from them because I'm very chill and don't have any personal issues with anyone. However idk what the best plan of action is if things do kick off again, do i just remain neutral with both people who are arguing but risk them getting upset at me for not defending either of them or do i side with who i think is right and make things awkward again like last year? I just want a drama free year ffs HELP

Remain neutral
Could you have a house meeting to discuss things calmly and establish some general rules? I wouldn’t have chosen to live with them again honestly.
Reply 3
Original post by YaliaV123
Could you have a house meeting to discuss things calmly and establish some general rules? I wouldn’t have chosen to live with them again honestly.

We do have house meetings but they end in people arguing and crying most of the time. Yeah unfortunately we had to decide really early on if we wanted to stay in the house so we all said yes cus this was before all the drama and cus of covid I haven’t met any other people who I could’ve potentially lived with so it’s just making the best out of a bad situation really
Original post by Anonymous
We do have house meetings but they end in people arguing and crying most of the time. Yeah unfortunately we had to decide really early on if we wanted to stay in the house so we all said yes cus this was before all the drama and cus of covid I haven’t met any other people who I could’ve potentially lived with so it’s just making the best out of a bad situation really

I would probably talk to them privately to explain how the arguments last year made you feel. Tell them that you would like a quiet household this year and that you would rather not get involved if they do argue. What they did to you was very unfair.
It won't suit everyone, but there is always the option of informing someone/s to get their crap together or get the hell out.

Sometimes a bad flatmate only really gets the message after being forcefully bundled out the house like a dog, or 4 other flatmates kick over a coffee table, rip of a leg each and just go to town on the person who has made their home life a misery... I don't suggest you do this, but it should maybe give a sense of scale.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending