The Student Room Group

Teachers - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Describe the best and worst teacher you've ever had.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TriplexA
Describe the best and worst teacher you've ever had.

Best teacher - doesn't pick on the same people every lesson, spent extra time after lessons and outside of school to answer queries and help us understand certain topics, and checked on us regularly. Also asked for our advice on how the lessons went and could see improvements in the next lesson as well. They took each class with a unique approach and personalised the way they teach to who they were teaching.

Worst teacher - read from a ppt, expecting us to understand. Gave us questions. Didn't reply to emails. Didn't allow us to share textbooks. Said that we'd fail if we didn't do every single question the textbook. Just didn't give us a good mindset.

:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by KA_P
Best teacher - doesn't pick on the same people every lesson, spent extra time after lessons and outside of school to answer queries and help us understand certain topics, and checked on us regularly. Also asked for our advice on how the lessons went and could see improvements in the next lesson as well. They took each class with a unique approach and personalised the way they teach to who they were teaching.

Worst teacher - read from a ppt, expecting us to understand. Gave us questions. Didn't reply to emails. Didn't allow us to share textbooks. Said that we'd fail if we didn't do every single question the textbook. Just didn't give us a good mindset.

:smile:

Teachers who don't respond to emails are dreadful... I don't know how they are allowed to teach.

The rest of the things he/she did make it even worse!
(edited 2 years ago)
Teachers who don't respond to emails are dreadful... I don't know how they are allowed to teach.

The rest of the things he/she did make it even worse!

:yes::bawling:

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
best teacher(s)- joint first my year eleven tutor who taught computing but spent time to get to know each and every one of us in his class, even if we didn't take computing, my 9/10 product design teacher,who got to know the whole class, learnt our weaknesses and strengths, held extra lessons on the bits we were weaker on and had such a passion for her subject

worst- year 8 maths teacher and seperate year 10-13 maths teacher, year 8 maths teacher locked children in cupboards if you were late, was really intimidating, would force you to complete the starters on the board in front of everyone. Year 20-13 is intimidating and has a nasty habit of declaring your problems to the class especially if you don't get something he deems easy.
Reply 5
Original post by KA_P
:yes::bawling:

Spoiler

I'm not sure but if they don't they need to make one for your post :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by theblondemo
best teacher(s)- joint first my year eleven tutor who taught computing but spent time to get to know each and every one of us in his class, even if we didn't take computing, my 9/10 product design teacher,who got to know the whole class, learnt our weaknesses and strengths, held extra lessons on the bits we were weaker on and had such a passion for her subject

worst- year 8 maths teacher and seperate year 10-13 maths teacher, year 8 maths teacher locked children in cupboards if you were late, was really intimidating, would force you to complete the starters on the board in front of everyone. Year 20-13 is intimidating and has a nasty habit of declaring your problems to the class especially if you don't get something he deems easy.

Teachers who go the extra mile are amazing.

I completely understand if you end up hating maths for the rest of your life...
Reply 7
the good: pretty much of my teachers were amazing and I'm so grateful for that. They would always be around to help and never thought any question was stupid :smile:

the bad: would give us end of topic assessments as closed book surprise tests halfway through the lesson saying there were 'realistic' of our actual A Levels... these went on to form part of the evidence for our TAGs

the ugly: supply geography teacher that creepily learnt everyone's name in a day and preceded to give everyone a 4-6 in our mocks as he believed we should be marked harsher than at A Levels (we were doing GCSEs). Also the art teacher that gave me a detention for forgetting my book even though detentions weren't a thing in my school... :confused:
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm not sure but if they don't they need to make one for your post :biggrin:

:biggrin:
Best teacher: My maths teacher who was completely no nonsense. She didn't accept any excuses for missing homework or equipment, and she would give you a detention if you spoke over her or chatted to another student about anything other than maths. She was pretty widely disliked but honestly I loved the consistency, and she was never unkind about it. If you had a good excuse for a missing homework she'd accept it, but say you did have to stay after school to do the homework because she didn't want you to fall behind. She was incredibly good at explaining concepts and always took the time to help students outside of lesson.

Worst teacher: When I was in school, I probably disliked my GCSE art teacher the most. I had been made to take art GCSE even though I didn't want to do a creative at all, and I was doing really well in all my other subjects so I basically had accepted that getting a B in art and focusing all my energy on 'important' subjects was fine. However, my target grade was an A*, so my art teacher was always pushing me to spend more time on my projects and homework, to which I basically just said "No, I only need a B". As a teacher myself now, I can see how this was probably really disheartening for him, and I can't blame him for trying to help me do better, but at the time I just didn't get why he couldn't accept that I wanted a B with minimal effort. I don't think he was a bad teacher, I just think that our goals were at odds with eachother.
Hi Everyone,

For anyone considering getting into teaching analysing the qualities of good teaching practice is essential. In my experience as a headteacher, I have always found excellent teachers have high aspirations for their pupils, excellent subject knowledge and really good communication skills.
For any aspiring teachers I would recommend registering for a Get Into Teaching Adviser. Advisers are fully qualified teachers, experienced in the classroom and also experts in the application process for teacher training courses. Click here for your adviser.

Best wishes
Suzanne
The worst was a tutor we gave a poor anonymous performance review for. During our next tutorial she spent the full two hours or so scolding us and calling out the snitches. When people wouldn't confess she started calling out whoever she thought it was ... I'm guessing in the hope of making them point the finger. At the end she made the group apologies and said she would report us for lying. She also had the inability to tone down the complexity of anything, and lacked the ability to make information digestible.

Best was probably the one who had her fired.
My best teacher was a teacher who regularly made us study through break and gave us ridiculous amounts of homework because they were truly dedicated to their job and wanted us to do as well as we could. Thanks to them, I can fluently read and write in a second language.

I don't think it would be appropriate to comment on the worst.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
Best teacher - the history teacher I had for GCSE and the Civil Rights in the USA topics for A-level. She knew how to get students to do well, she had written amazingly comprehensive notes for us, managed to remain neutral on the more controversial topics and we had some really good discussions in that course. The fact that I'm still maintaining an interest in history after A-level is most likely thanks to her, although my other A-level teachers were very good too.

Worst teacher - might be my DT GCSE teacher, he was very hands-off when it came to coursework and only started teaching us the theory part of the course after the Easter holidays in year 11. He made it out to be a lot easier than it was; year 9 DT was so fun in comparison it almost feels like he was baiting us to take it. He was very relaxed with the students, so if you'd asked me this back in year 10 he might have been my favourite, but now I wish he'd been a bit tougher.
Original post by kingofkamagasaki
The worst was a tutor we gave a poor anonymous performance review for. During our next tutorial she spent the full two hours or so scolding us and calling out the snitches. When people wouldn't confess she started calling out whoever she thought it was ... I'm guessing in the hope of making them point the finger. At the end she made the group apologies and said she would report us for lying. She also had the inability to tone down the complexity of anything, and lacked the ability to make information digestible.

This really reminds me of a uni lecturer I had who did a similar thing - he got some anonymous feedback basically saying his lectures were good, but he could be very intimidating to approach during office hours because he would berate you for not understanding rather than answering your question. So he berated us for giving bad reviews, which didn't exactly make him seem more approachable...
Reply 15
Original post by coco:)
the good: pretty much of my teachers were amazing and I'm so grateful for that. They would always be around to help and never thought any question was stupid :smile:

the bad: would give us end of topic assessments as closed book surprise tests halfway through the lesson saying there were 'realistic' of our actual A Levels... these went on to form part of the evidence for our TAGs

the ugly: supply geography teacher that creepily learnt everyone's name in a day and preceded to give everyone a 4-6 in our mocks as he believed we should be marked harsher than at A Levels (we were doing GCSEs)

I'm glad most of your teachers have been nice.

That sounds very unfair - I'm sure you came out with great grades though.
Reply 16
That sounds very unfair - I'm sure you came out with great grades though.

Yes, thankfully it only counted for a much smaller percentage of our grades because she only taught us in Year 12 :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by bluebeetle
Best teacher: My maths teacher who was completely no nonsense. She didn't accept any excuses for missing homework or equipment, and she would give you a detention if you spoke over her or chatted to another student about anything other than maths. She was pretty widely disliked but honestly I loved the consistency, and she was never unkind about it. If you had a good excuse for a missing homework she'd accept it, but say you did have to stay after school to do the homework because she didn't want you to fall behind. She was incredibly good at explaining concepts and always took the time to help students outside of lesson.

Worst teacher: When I was in school, I probably disliked my GCSE art teacher the most. I had been made to take art GCSE even though I didn't want to do a creative at all, and I was doing really well in all my other subjects so I basically had accepted that getting a B in art and focusing all my energy on 'important' subjects was fine. However, my target grade was an A*, so my art teacher was always pushing me to spend more time on my projects and homework, to which I basically just said "No, I only need a B". As a teacher myself now, I can see how this was probably really disheartening for him, and I can't blame him for trying to help me do better, but at the time I just didn't get why he couldn't accept that I wanted a B with minimal effort. I don't think he was a bad teacher, I just think that our goals were at odds with eachother.

It's great that you've reflected on your experience as a student with your art teacher - I'm sure it may have helped you become a more understanding and better teacher.
Reply 18
Original post by kingofkamagasaki

That sounds awful :frown: Wrongly accusing anyone, without proof, isn't right.

That is worrying :0
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Sinnoh
Best teacher - the history teacher I had for GCSE and the Civil Rights in the USA topics for A-level. She knew how to get students to do well, she had written amazingly comprehensive notes for us, managed to remain neutral on the more controversial topics and we had some really good discussions in that course. The fact that I'm still maintaining an interest in history after A-level is most likely thanks to her, although my other A-level teachers were very good too.

Worst teacher - might be my DT GCSE teacher, he was very hands-off when it came to coursework and only started teaching us the theory part of the course after the Easter holidays in year 11. He made it out to be a lot easier than it was; year 9 DT was so fun in comparison it almost feels like he was baiting us to take it. He was very relaxed with the students, so if you'd asked me this back in year 10 he might have been my favourite, but now I wish he'd been a bit tougher.

Your history teacher sounds genuinely wonderful.

I wasn't particularly fond of my DT teacher too and her teaching was similar to your teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest