The Student Room Group

University

Do GCSE resits matter to the majority of Unis, if you have good a-level grades but one bad GCSE due to TAGs in 2020 will this hinder my application if I resit and get a much better grade?
Original post by holjac78
Do GCSE resits matter to the majority of Unis, if you have good a-level grades but one bad GCSE due to TAGs in 2020 will this hinder my application if I resit and get a much better grade?

Hi there.

It depends on the course you're applying for but generally I think it would be okay. You'd still have to include the original grade on UCAS but also put pending for your resit.

@artful_lounger if you could confirm/correct this :smile:

Best wishes.
(edited 1 year ago)

For the vast majority of unis, they don't really care much about GCSEs, resits or otherwise, aside from minimum grades in English/Maths (which they don't really care about resits for usually). It's really only Oxford, some courses at LSE, and some medical schools (and maybe dental/vet schools) that put a LOT of weight on GCSEs, and none of them to my knowledge care about resits for GCSEs.

Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

It depends on the course you're applying for but generally I think it would be okay. You'd still have to include the original grade on UCAS but also put pending for your resit.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the tag! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Best wishes.

Thank you for the quick reply, the TAG was from 2020 and was a Nat 5 qualification but I now live in England and was going to sit GCSE English to make up for the Nat 5 as I was severely downgraded due to Covid. Just wondering if this would be okay/accepted.:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
For the vast majority of unis, they don't really care much about GCSEs, resits or otherwise, aside from minimum grades in English/Maths (which they don't really care about resits for usually). It's really only Oxford, some courses at LSE, and some medical schools (and maybe dental/vet schools) that put a LOT of weight on GCSEs, and none of them to my knowledge care about resits for GCSEs.

Thanks for the tag! :smile:

Ah okay thank you, I got a C in English and I have seen that a lot want a B and it's really disappointing so I wanted to resit (even though it would be my first actual sitting) to show that I was capable as I meet the rest of the requirements but would be rejected for this if I did not resit.
Ah okay thank you, I got a C in English and I have seen that a lot want a B and it's really disappointing so I wanted to resit (even though it would be my first actual sitting) to show that I was capable as I meet the rest of the requirements but would be rejected for this if I did not resit.

Yeah resitting is fine and recommended in that case :smile:
Thank you for the quick reply, the TAG was from 2020 and was a Nat 5 qualification but I now live in England and was going to sit GCSE English to make up for the Nat 5 as I was severely downgraded due to Covid. Just wondering if this would be okay/accepted.:smile:

English Language and Maths are the only subjects most uiversities care about. Most universities require grade 4 some grade 5 and occasionally grade 6 for English Language. Dependent in the course being taken Maths is often required at grade 6 and I know Bath asks 7 for Psychology. This is particularly the case where there is a high Maths content in the course uually Psychology, Economics, Business, Compiuter Science and Engineering amongst others. Universities dont worry about GCSE resits and often make offers including that grade. If you achieve the grade you get in. If you dont you get rejected on GCSE
Reply 7
Thanks for your help on this:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
English Language and Maths are the only subjects most uiversities care about. Most universities require grade 4 some grade 5 and occasionally grade 6 for English Language. Dependent in the course being taken Maths is often required at grade 6 and I know Bath asks 7 for Psychology. This is particularly the case where there is a high Maths content in the course uually Psychology, Economics, Business, Compiuter Science and Engineering amongst others. Universities dont worry about GCSE resits and often make offers including that grade. If you achieve the grade you get in. If you dont you get rejected on GCSE

That is very helpful, thank you.
As above - many Uni/courses will specify Maths, English, and sometimes even science GCSE grades, so always check carefully as this is the quickest way to get an immediate rejection. And btw, if it says 'grade 6' that is what they mean, not 'grade 5 and cross your fingers'.

Even where there is not a specific GCSE requirement. top Unis will often still score your overall GCSE profile (typically your top 5 GCSEs).
They do this to give them a way of differentiating between those with identical A level etc grades. However, its usually on a weighting of something like 20% GCSEs and 80% A levels etc so the odd lower GCSE grade is not going to be a deal-breaker. Your A level predictions and PS is always going to be the elements that will make the big difference.

For most courses as long as you meet the minimum GCSE standards, GCSEs are really unimportant (however failing the minimum requirements will generally lead to a quick rejection).

For a handful of competitive courses like medicine/Oxford etc. GCSEs are well known to be used to filter applications.

How they will handle TAG years is unclear.
Original post by mnot

How they will handle TAG years is unclear.

We don't discrimanate - a grade is a grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending