The Student Room Group

Parents keeps pushing me to get engaged

We've only been together for 9 months, but my mum has been pushing me to get engaged to my partner, even though I'm 23 and she's 21. I don't feel ready for it right now. Any advice on how to deal with this?
Say that you want to wait to see if she's right for you.
Original post by Anonymous
We've only been together for 9 months, but my mum has been pushing me to get engaged to my partner, even though I'm 23 and she's 21. I don't feel ready for it right now. Any advice on how to deal with this?

In my opinion, I would wait until you have been together for like a whole year or maybe 2 years. Try talking to your parents about how you feel and about how your girlfriend might feel. Also, don't forget to listen fully to what your parents are saying and ask them to listen fully to what YOU are saying. Keep us updated on what happens okay?
Original post by KayButrum1
In my opinion, I would wait until you have been together for like a whole year or maybe 2 years. Try talking to your parents about how you feel and about how your girlfriend might feel. Also, don't forget to listen fully to what your parents are saying and ask them to listen fully to what YOU are saying. Keep us updated on what happens okay?

Yes, I don't feel ready for that commitment, I want to wait maybe a year beyond until doing that.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, I don't feel ready for that commitment, I want to wait maybe a year beyond until doing that.

Alright try talking to your parents about that okay? Ask them to listen fully to what you are saying and listen fully to what they are saying as well.
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your feelings are telling you. :smile:
Don't consider getting engaged until you feel ready, in terms of commitment and finances.
Plus absolutely certain that it is the right time and partner.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your feelings are telling you. :smile:
Don't consider getting engaged until you feel ready, in terms of commitment and finances.
Plus absolutely certain that it is the right time and partner.
Good luck!

I agree totally

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending