The Student Room Group

University classes start and finish times

So,I start university in September 2022 and, whilst I know things will differ between universities and courses, I've been assuming that any classes I need to attend for my course will not start before 9am and the latest classes will be finished by around 4.30pm. Is this the reality or am I way off the mark??
It does differ by university and course, but I've had classes any time between 9am and 6pm. I wouldn't assume you'll be done by 4.30.
Original post by marchag
So,I start university in September 2022 and, whilst I know things will differ between universities and courses, I've been assuming that any classes I need to attend for my course will not start before 9am and the latest classes will be finished by around 4.30pm. Is this the reality or am I way off the mark??

When I was a student, lectures started at 9am. Generally the last lecture of the day ran from 4pm to 5pm; but I did have a lecture that ran from 5pm to 6pm in my first year.

It's best not to make assumptions -- if in doubt, contact the university and ask.
obviously depends on the uni and the course; most tend to be between 9 and 5pm, but don't make assumptions the earliest lecture I've had started at 8:15, and the latest finished at 19:05 (thankfully not on the same day!)
Original post by marchag

9am - 6pm mon-fri is standard.

Of course their maybe times you’ll be expected to work different hours, but this will probably be unusual unless you do a unusual course.
Reply 5
Original post by martin7
When I was a student, lectures started at 9am. Generally the last lecture of the day ran from 4pm to 5pm; but I did have a lecture that ran from 5pm to 6pm in my first year.

It's best not to make assumptions -- if in doubt, contact the university and ask.

Original post by bl0bf1sh
obviously depends on the uni and the course; most tend to be between 9 and 5pm, but don't make assumptions the earliest lecture I've had started at 8:15, and the latest finished at 19:05 (thankfully not on the same day!)

Original post by mnot
9am - 6pm mon-fri is standard.

Of course their maybe times you’ll be expected to work different hours, but this will probably be unusual unless you do a unusual course.

Thank you all very much for your replies, this is really helpful to reset my expectations before I head off to uni! And I'll definitely see if I can find out from the uni before I go :smile:
@marchag the days will probably differ as well, it's not like school where everyday you are in from 9-5 or something like that. And it does change from course to course and from uni to uni. Likely there will be some full days, so 10-6 for example whereas other days you may only be in for 2 hours, and some days you have no lectures or seminars, and you can use that day as you wish. You really won't know until you receive your timetable.

When you are in for long days though, staff will make sure you get breaks in between their lectures :smile:

- Rosie
Original post by marchag

Hi @marchag!

It's great to hear you're starting Uni in September, I hope you're not too nervous and are looking forward to it!

You're assumptions are more or less spot on: each University is different of course, and I don't know which institution you'll be attending, but from my experience at Chichester the earliest I ever had a lecture or seminar was 9am. The latest I finished was around 5pm, and it was the semester that led in to Christmas too so that wasn't fun finishing that session when it was already dark and cold!

But yes, each University will be slightly different and on top of that it will also slightly vary by module/degree as well, and by semester too!

I hope this is helpful, if you have any other questions then do let me know :smile:
Tom
University of Chichester Alumni and Student rep.
Original post by marchag

I had classes finish at 6 7 even 8 PM
Reply 9
Original post by hallamstudents
@marchag the days will probably differ as well, it's not like school where everyday you are in from 9-5 or something like that. And it does change from course to course and from uni to uni. Likely there will be some full days, so 10-6 for example whereas other days you may only be in for 2 hours, and some days you have no lectures or seminars, and you can use that day as you wish. You really won't know until you receive your timetable.

When you are in for long days though, staff will make sure you get breaks in between their lectures :smile:

- Rosie

That's great thank you :smile:
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
Hi @marchag!

It's great to hear you're starting Uni in September, I hope you're not too nervous and are looking forward to it!

You're assumptions are more or less spot on: each University is different of course, and I don't know which institution you'll be attending, but from my experience at Chichester the earliest I ever had a lecture or seminar was 9am. The latest I finished was around 5pm, and it was the semester that led in to Christmas too so that wasn't fun finishing that session when it was already dark and cold!

But yes, each University will be slightly different and on top of that it will also slightly vary by module/degree as well, and by semester too!

I hope this is helpful, if you have any other questions then do let me know :smile:
Tom
University of Chichester Alumni and Student rep.

Thank you for responding, that's really helpful. I'm really looking forward to starting but a little apprehensive too :smile:
Original post by jonathanemptage
I had classes finish at 6 7 even 8 PM

Wow, that's quite late but good to know. Thank you!
I just remembered a mate of mine had a lecture 8-9 pm which would have really sucked.
Original post by marchag

It depends on your course and timetabling. You *hopefully* will not have any classes before 9am but don't bank on it :smile:
For example, My latest class/lab this year was 6pm although if that was the case it was usually the only thing I’d have that day.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Chronoscope
It depends on your course and timetabling. You likely will not have any classes before 9am.
For example, My latest class/lab this year was 6pm although if that was the case it was usually the only thing I’d have that day.

it's usually 9 some people i halls had lectures at 8 but then they had the rest of the day off.
Original post by marchag
That's great thank you :smile:

Thank you for responding, that's really helpful. I'm really looking forward to starting but a little apprehensive too :smile:

Wow, that's quite late but good to know. Thank you!

No problem @marchag, happy to help!

Great that you're looking forward to it, everyone will be feeling the same in those first few weeks so don't feel like you'll be the only one a bit nervous. Plus your University will have lots of events during freshers week meant to help settle everyone in, as well as the support services they'll have (that will be available throughout your degree too!) which you can always rely on if you feel like you need that extra help and support :smile:

I wish you all the best in September! If there's anything else I can help with feel free to ask!

Tom :smile:
University of Chichester Alumni and Student Rep.
Reply 14
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
No problem @marchag, happy to help!

Great that you're looking forward to it, everyone will be feeling the same in those first few weeks so don't feel like you'll be the only one a bit nervous. Plus your University will have lots of events during freshers week meant to help settle everyone in, as well as the support services they'll have (that will be available throughout your degree too!) which you can always rely on if you feel like you need that extra help and support :smile:

I wish you all the best in September! If there's anything else I can help with feel free to ask!

Tom :smile:
University of Chichester Alumni and Student Rep.

Thank you Tom :smile:
Original post by marchag

Hi @marchagAs you said, start and finish times differ between universities. For example my earliest lecture would be at 9am and my latest one would finish at 5.45.

All the best
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending