The Student Room Group

Shyleen learns to drive!

As suggested by the title of this thread, I am learning to drive (automatic).:woo: I thought of starting this thread so I can document my journey and keep track of my progress. :work:

After a few days of researching, I decided to learn through RED and my lessons began on 16 May 2022. I’m currently doing one lesson a week (2 hours) but I might increase this depending on my schedule. :yep:

I also need to prepare for the theory test!

My aim is to pass before I go back to Cardiff for university in October. Let’s see if I can do it! :dumbells:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

16/05/2022

Today I had my first driving lesson. :woo: The instructor picked me up from outside my house and took me to a quiet residential area. Before I got behind the wheel, the instructor taught me the Cockpit Drill Process (DSSSM).

Cockpit Drill Process (DSSSM)

After, the instructor and I swapped seats, so I was behind the wheel. He gave me a chance to practice the Cockpit Drill Process myself. Thankfully, I remembered the process! :blushing:

Next, he taught me the Prepare Observe Move process (POM). That part was easy but he did say that he was particular about the order this part was conducted, so I will type it below so I can refer back…

Prepare Observe Move (POM)

After I understood everything that was explained to me, the instructor explained a few terms that he might use (e.g. when it’s safe, pull up on your left). He then explained to me that it was my turn to drive around the block. At this point, I was a bit scared, but he assured me that if I take my time, I will be fine. He also reminded me that there was an emergency brake on his side that he would use if necessary.

After following the POM process, I lightly (or so I thought) pressed the accelerator and the speedometer went from 0 to around 20! I didn’t expect that a slight push would make such a big difference in terms of speed. I then quickly put some slight pressure (or so I thought again!) on the brake and the instructor jolted forward. I apologised and he laughed and said it was fine which made me feel a lot better. He told me to apply less pressure next time. We went around the block around 10-12 times. By the end of the first hour, I was very comfortable with what I was doing! The only thing I am still struggling with is parking against a curb. Either I’m too close or too far! At one point, I drove over a plastic bottle near the curb and popped the lid of the bottle. I thought I did something a lot more serious but the instructor assured me everything was fine! Maybe I just need more practise!

In the second hour, he took me outside the car and opened up the car hood. He then told me that he was going to test me on the parts inside! I told him I didn’t have the slightest clue about any of it. He told me he expected that and so would give me clues which would help me figure it out. I created a diagram at home of the parts of the car under the hood which I will post later in a spoiler.

The instructor then taught me about the checks conducted on tyres which was rather boring, but necessary to know! After we went back in the car and he told me about the rest of the controls (e.g. headlights, hazard lights, brake lights).

After, he let me drive home which wasn’t easy because I’m terrified of roundabouts and there were two mini roundabouts. I survived them though. At the end of the lesson, I asked the instructor how I did and he said that if I was rubbish, he wouldn’t have let me drive home. :tongue:

Overall rating for the lesson:
:biggrin:
Good luck - you've got this.

Out of curiosity - are you learning in a manual or automatic?
Original post by gtty123
Good luck - you've got this.

Out of curiosity - are you learning in a manual or automatic?

Thanks. :smile:

I knew I was forgetting to mention something - automatic!
Good luck 5hyl33n!! :biggrin:
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Good luck 5hyl33n!! :biggrin:

Thanks Strawberry Dreams :smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Thanks. :smile:

I knew I was forgetting to mention something - automatic!

Nice. At least you won't have to worry about hill starts - they're really annoying :biggrin:.
Original post by 5hyl33n
After, he let me drive home which wasn’t easy because I’m terrified of roundabouts and there were two mini roundabouts. I survived them though.

Did the instructor go through roundabouts before you drove home? I would've been terrified too, if he hadn't.
Original post by SagaciousSag
Did the instructor go through roundabouts before you drove home? I would've been terrified too, if he hadn't.

He was giving me directions as I drove. For example, a few seconds before we came to the roundabout, he would tell me to slow down and stop before the roundabout. Then look to see if there was any oncoming traffic. If not, carry on. The roads were empty so it wasn’t too difficult! I think I would panic a lot more if there were a lot of cars.
Original post by 5hyl33n
He was giving me directions as I drove. For example, a few seconds before we came to the roundabout, he would tell me to slow down and stop before the roundabout. Then look to see if there was any oncoming traffic. If not, carry on. The roads were empty so it wasn’t too difficult! I think I would panic a lot more if there were a lot of cars.

That makes sense. You're making a lot of progress! Good luck with passing before October! :smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n
16/05/2022

Today I had my first driving lesson. :woo: The instructor picked me up from outside my house and took me to a quiet residential area. Before I got behind the wheel, the instructor taught me the Cockpit Drill Process (DSSSM).

Cockpit Drill Process (DSSSM)

After, the instructor and I swapped seats, so I was behind the wheel. He gave me a chance to practice the Cockpit Drill Process myself. Thankfully, I remembered the process! :blushing:

Next, he taught me the Prepare Observe Move process (POM). That part was easy but he did say that he was particular about the order this part was conducted, so I will type it below so I can refer back…

Prepare Observe Move (POM)

After I understood everything that was explained to me, the instructor explained a few terms that he might use (e.g. when it’s safe, pull up on your left). He then explained to me that it was my turn to drive around the block. At this point, I was a bit scared, but he assured me that if I take my time, I will be fine. He also reminded me that there was an emergency brake on his side that he would use if necessary.

After following the POM process, I lightly (or so I thought) pressed the accelerator and the speedometer went from 0 to around 20! I didn’t expect that a slight push would make such a big difference in terms of speed. I then quickly put some slight pressure (or so I thought again!) on the brake and the instructor jolted forward. I apologised and he laughed and said it was fine which made me feel a lot better. He told me to apply less pressure next time. We went around the block around 10-12 times. By the end of the first hour, I was very comfortable with what I was doing! The only thing I am still struggling with is parking against a curb. Either I’m too close or too far! At one point, I drove over a plastic bottle near the curb and popped the lid of the bottle. I thought I did something a lot more serious but the instructor assured me everything was fine! Maybe I just need more practise!

In the second hour, he took me outside the car and opened up the car hood. He then told me that he was going to test me on the parts inside! I told him I didn’t have the slightest clue about any of it. He told me he expected that and so would give me clues which would help me figure it out. I created a diagram at home of the parts of the car under the hood which I will post later in a spoiler.

The instructor then taught me about the checks conducted on tyres which was rather boring, but necessary to know! After we went back in the car and he told me about the rest of the controls (e.g. headlights, hazard lights, brake lights).

After, he let me drive home which wasn’t easy because I’m terrified of roundabouts and there were two mini roundabouts. I survived them though. At the end of the lesson, I asked the instructor how I did and he said that if I was rubbish, he wouldn’t have let me drive home. :tongue:

:biggrin:

This was interesting - glad it went well. What struck me was that you still have acronyms for stuff, like POM. When I learned to drive, in a Model T Ford eighteen-million years ago, we had acronyms then: I seem to remember 'MSM' for 'mirror, signal, manoeuvre', and the 'manoeuvre' could be further broken down into PSL: 'position, signal, look'.

Plus ça change... :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
This was interesting - glad it went well. What struck me was that you still have acronyms for stuff, like POM. When I learned to drive, in a Model T Ford eighteen-million years ago, we had acronyms then: I seem to remember 'MSM' for 'mirror, signal, manoeuvre', and the 'manoeuvre' could be further broken down into PSL: 'position, signal, look'.

I’m so sorry for the late reply, RC. :frown: I think my life is finally back on track so I will be much more active on TSR. :laugh:

I’ve never liked acronyms, to be honest, but they are useful when it comes to learning to drive!
25/05/2022

The lesson went well! The main point of it was to familiarise myself with the types of junctions and some of the road markings that I might come across.

First we went through the types of junctions. I managed to remember them all when the instructor tested me after going through all of them. Now, I just need to be able to drive through them all!

Types of Junctions

Then the instructor went through some of the road markings that I might come across.

Road Markings

We also practised some of the last lesson stuff as well. My parking at a curb is getting much better, but still needs improvement! I tried parking at a curb between two cars which didn’t go too well. I managed to park but it was too close to the car in front. The instructor hasn’t gone through how to reverse so I wasn’t able to fix my mistake. Maybe next time!

We also went through the parts under the car hood. I could barely remember any of them which was disheartening but not really a surprise because I didn’t go through them again since the lesson. I think I can remember some of them now, but I will spend some time this week looking through them again!

I also need to top up the money on my RED account. Learning to drive is expensive!

:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
25/05/2022

The lesson went well! The main point of it was to familiarise myself with the types of junctions and some of the road markings that I might come across.

First we went through the types of junctions. I managed to remember them all when the instructor tested me after going through all of them. Now, I just need to be able to drive through them all!

Types of Junctions

Then the instructor went through some of the road markings that I might come across.

Road Markings

We also practised some of the last lesson stuff as well. My parking at a curb is getting much better, but still needs improvement! I tried parking at a curb between two cars which didn’t go too well. I managed to park but it was too close to the car in front. The instructor hasn’t gone through how to reverse so I wasn’t able to fix my mistake. Maybe next time!

We also went through the parts under the car hood. I could barely remember any of them which was disheartening but not really a surprise because I didn’t go through them again since the lesson. I think I can remember some of them now, but I will spend some time this week looking through them again!

I also need to top up the money on my RED account. Learning to drive is expensive!

Glad the lesson went well - following this blog. :biggrin:

Good luck with passing before October! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TriplexA
Glad the lesson went well - following this blog. :biggrin:

Good luck with passing before October! :smile:

Thanks TriplexA :smile:
Good luck!! :rave:
Original post by Reality Check

a model T :eek:, did they even have mirrors?

Good luck!
If you ever get the opportunity to try manual id recommend it (it would help with buying used cars and is more fun imo, although new & recently new are more & more moving to semi-auto/fully auto boxes.
(edited 1 year ago)
30/05/2022

The purpose of this lesson was to teach me about roundabouts. Overall, it was okay. I’m still not comfortable with roundabouts so the instructor said we will practise more next lesson.

Approaching a Roundabout

Reaching and Leaving a Roundabout

The first time we went round a roundabout, I panicked thinking that the cars wouldn’t stop. I ended up stopping in the middle of the roundabout and had to be reassured that everything was fine!

Let’s see how tomorrow goes!

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
30/05/2022

The purpose of this lesson was to teach me about roundabouts. Overall, it was okay. I’m still not comfortable with roundabouts so the instructor said we will practise more next lesson.

Approaching a Roundabout

Reaching and Leaving a Roundabout

The first time we went round a roundabout, I panicked thinking that the cars wouldn’t stop. I ended up stopping in the middle of the roundabout and had to be reassured that everything was fine!

Let’s see how tomorrow goes!

Roundabouts can be confusing - glad to see they haven't put you off though!

Good luck with your other lessons. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
06/06/2022

This lesson was dedicated to revising what was learnt in previous lessons.

Things to improve on:

Look at all the mirrors while driving

Memorise the parts under the car bonnet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending