The Student Room Group

Can you film on Omegle without the persons permission?

Most Youtuber's who film Omegle don't ask for permission and just post it on YouTube, but could you potentially get in trouble for not asking.

I'm under the impression it's fine, because it's a public platform?
I would assume nothing is wrong with it, but personally, I would hate to be filmed. I find it disrespectful but it is a risk you take, going onto that platform.
Just... don't use the site.
Original post by Anonymous
I would assume nothing is wrong with it, but personally, I would hate to be filmed. I find it disrespectful but it is a risk you take, going onto that platform.

Yeah, I get that. I go on there knowing that its somewhat likely I'll get filmed as its happened before. And if its a nice person and we have a good conversation, of course I'd ask for their permission. I'm not really planning to do anything with the film, probably will delete it afterwards but I like to do it in case something particularly entertaining, interesting or controversial happens that I can put it on Youtube.
Yeah, I get that. I go on there knowing that its somewhat likely I'll get filmed as its happened before. And if its a nice person and we have a good conversation, of course I'd ask for their permission. I'm not really planning to do anything with the film, probably will delete it afterwards but I like to do it in case something particularly entertaining, interesting or controversial happens that I can put it on Youtube.

If something controversial happens then you can basically guarantee that they won’t be giving their permission to be filmed and put on YouTube, so you shouldn’t be putting it on there.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mintkoala
If something controversial happens then you can basically guarantee that they won’t be giving their permission to be filmed and put on YouTube, so you shouldn’t be putting it on there.

I guess, but a lot of the omegle content on Youtube is often controversial. Like if someone intentionally says something they shouldnt and it gets put online, who's more in the wrong - probably them in my opinion
I guess, but a lot of the omegle content on Youtube is often controversial. Like if someone intentionally says something they shouldnt and it gets put online, who's more in the wrong - probably them in my opinion

Their lawyer won’t care who’s in the wrong, they will care if that person sues you for data protection, slander, and most likely ‘intent to cause them distress’ (which could be argued that’s why you’d be uploading it because you want people to watch and make negative comments about that person).

Using their film without their permission is sueable enough in itself, and then publicly making them look bad is another thing entirely.
(edited 1 year ago)
Their lawyer won’t care who’s in the wrong, they will care if that person sues you for data protection and slander. Using their film without their permission is sueable enough in itself, and then publicly making them look bad is another thing entirely.

Ahh okay, I guess I'm trying to work out if its sueable or not, if its on omegle.
I just see so many videos with people saying offensive things on omegle and the YouTuber will still put the clip in, obviously without asking permission, i don't believe any of those guys have been sued.
Ahh okay, I guess I'm trying to work out if its sueable or not, if its on omegle.
I just see so many videos with people saying offensive things on omegle and the YouTuber will still put the clip in, obviously without asking permission, i don't believe any of those guys have been sued.

I just added more to my last post.

People don’t tend to post about their private lawsuits on YouTube.

Some may choose not sue, but you should always assume there’s a good chance they will.
(edited 1 year ago)

People don’t tend to post their private lawsuits on YouTube.

Some may choose not sue, but you should always assume there’s a good chance they will.

Ahh okay I just remember watching a video about this girl who said she would sue this guy for putting her in a video, and he was very confident he couldnt get sued and he never did. But yeah thats just one case, you're probably right, if they appear in a bad light maybe its sueable even if they're actions on omegle are their own fault

People don’t tend to post about their private lawsuits on YouTube.

Here's the video I was refering to... the title is obviously clickbait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQyjCOnORqs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending