The Student Room Group

What classifies as a romantic relationship nowadays?

I had an online relationship of the sorts with this college guy, Will for four to five months. We talked almost everyday, flirted with each other, made suggestive comments towards one another and were attracted to each other and cared about each other. I don’t know if that’s considered a relationship or not especially since we never really talked about if we were considered to be dating or not but as far as I knew he didn’t see anyone else romantically from what I gathered and I didn’t see anyone else/talk to anyone online romancically. It was mainly online as I said before we met online, then texted each other sent videos of each other and photos, flirted and etc.
in my eyes yes, online relationships are real relationships. but it really just depends on what your own definition of a relationship is - ive been in an online relationship w one person for a total of over a year now, and i'm just as committed and loving towards him as i would if our relationship was in-person. i suggest talking to him about it and whether you'd both like to consider it to be a relationship :smile:
I think online relationships are just people living out a fantasy of what they would like the other person to be. You have no idea who someone is if you've never even met them.
Original post by YaliaV123
I think online relationships are just people living out a fantasy of what they would like the other person to be. You have no idea who someone is if you've never even met them.

Word, im completely different irl
It sounds like it was romantic in some ways, but I think a romantic relationship must also be confronted by reality in order to function. The romance is in truly knowing and accepting someone.

Getting to know someone online is like scrolling through someone's Instagram highlights. Some of it may be real, but not all of it and you're not seeing the full picture.

It's a filtered version of them and their personality in many ways, which can lead to some surprises and even disappointment when you do meet them.
I wouldn't call this a relationship, personally
Original post by Anonymous
in my eyes yes, online relationships are real relationships. but it really just depends on what your own definition of a relationship is - ive been in an online relationship w one person for a total of over a year now, and i'm just as committed and loving towards him as i would if our relationship was in-person. i suggest talking to him about it and whether you'd both like to consider it to be a relationship :smile:

We ended whatever we had two years ago but people asked me if I dated again after my first boyfriend and I don’t know how to answer that really
We ended whatever we had two years ago but people asked me if I dated again after my first boyfriend and I don’t know how to answer that really

It only lasted 5 months
Original post by black tea
I wouldn't call this a relationship, personally

What would you call it then🤔
Reply 9
If after 5 months it's still just flirty chat, it's not a relationship. There was no real-life interaction, nor any discussion on meeting up or what the talking would lead in future. You were attracted to whatever character he presented on a screen. If you cared that much about each other, why didn't it go further?

It was an online friendship.
Original post by Surnia
If after 5 months it's still just flirty chat, it's not a relationship. There was no real-life interaction, nor any discussion on meeting up or what the talking would lead in future. You were attracted to whatever character he presented on a screen. If you cared that much about each other, why didn't it go further?

It was an online friendship.

We lived 50 minutes away from each other and I don’t drive a car. He worked part time and was a college student and I was a senior who had gone through a traumatic event- sexual harassment from two guys mainly one and this occurred for 6 months, death in the family- my dog that we had for about 5 years and had other drama going on in my life. It’s not that easy to meet in person when all that stuff is going down as well as working yourself and worrying about studying so I could go to a good college. It’s easier said than done
We lived 50 minutes away from each other and I don’t drive a car. He worked part time and was a college student and I was a senior who had gone through a traumatic event- sexual harassment from two guys mainly one and this occurred for 6 months, death in the family- my dog that we had for about 5 years and had other drama going on in my life. It’s not that easy to meet in person when all that stuff is going down as well as working yourself and worrying about studying so I could go to a good college. It’s easier said than done

Besides I didn’t tell my mother at the time that I was talking to a college guy I met online and I most definitely wouldn’t have asked her to drive me to see him because she would say no anyways. She said it was weird for a 21 to court a girl who was still in high school, I was 18 at the time so technically according to the law I was an adult but I didn’t have a car and I didn’t want to be in a situation in where I meet him and for some reason he acts like a completely different person besides I never had a huge interested in driving that much especially back then when I had gotten in a minor car accident when my dad drove me to school. No one was hurt but the woman was yelling even though it was her fault anyway which is why she got fined. I had gotten in car accident when I was little too. Please do not judge a situation when you don’t know anything about him or me.
What would you call it then🤔

Talking to someone online.
...I don’t know if that’s considered a relationship or not especially since we never really talked about if we were considered to be dating or not...

It wasn't a relationship.
Besides I didn’t tell my mother at the time that I was talking to a college guy I met online and I most definitely wouldn’t have asked her to drive me to see him because she would say no anyways. She said it was weird for a 21 to court a girl who was still in high school, I was 18 at the time so technically according to the law I was an adult but I didn’t have a car and I didn’t want to be in a situation in where I meet him and for some reason he acts like a completely different person besides I never had a huge interested in driving that much especially back then when I had gotten in a minor car accident when my dad drove me to school. No one was hurt but the woman was yelling even though it was her fault anyway which is why she got fined. I had gotten in car accident when I was little too. Please do not judge a situation when you don’t know anything about him or me.

I'm not judging. You asked on a public forum if this was an online relationship and I've explained why it wasn't.

As for finding out someone is a different character to what you thought, that can happen with someone with whom you've conducted face-to-face meetings and is exactly what I've been saying.

it’s your opinion on what it was - personally i’d say yes. i’m reading a lot of people saying it isn’t because you haven’t met in person so you can’t know what they’re really like, but i disagree because i know my boyfriend on a way deeper level than any other person in his life does. but since it ended quite a while ago, i guess it doesn’t really matter how you define it, it’s up to you whether you want to say you did or didn’t

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending