The Student Room Group

How to kick out tenants from hell

I am a landlord stuck in a loophole where the tenants have not signed a contract to live at the shared accommodation after the first one ended, they ignored out many emails, messages, calls and threw it in the bin and now they are messing up the place, breaching everything in the contract since they haven't signed it.

The place they live in is like a pigsty, the baby is always crying- keeping us up, they slam the doors and have gatherings at unsociable hours with screaming etc..

It is like hell and I don't know what to do. I am depressed and am looking for any way for these demons to leave since they are now having another baby in the tiny place they live at.

If anyone can provide any advice, it would be hugely appreciated

Scroll to see replies

I have tried all the negotiating possible but they refuse to leave and continue making my life a living hell
If you can't force them out, take legal action. The threat of legal action should be enough to kick them out
I am in the middle of a legal process against them but it seems as though nothing is progressing from it, it is just dragging out and they are not fazed by it. I am considering calling the police as some things they have done can be worthy for reporting to the police as they might do something. I am also thinking of reporting child neglect/abuse as the child seems to be treated with a lot of carelessness (not stopped from crying, on verge of falling out of pram etc...). The parents also had a huge fight before making one of them cry through the sheer verbal abuse the other one gave along with slamming doors loudly and kicking family out the house
All of this has caused me severe distress, worsening my health problems and relationship with my own family
Quick google: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/problems-where-you-live/squatting/

"You can't be arrested if you first entered the property with the owner's permission, for example, as a tenant or a licensee.

You also can't be arrested if your tenancy or licence has come to an end but you haven't yet moved out, or you're behind with your rent. In these circumstances, your landlord must give you notice and in most cases, go to court to evict you and repossess the property."

General info from a tenants POV (but an easy to read format): https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/eviction_notices_from_private_landlords

All the docs you need and what to do from a landords POV: https://www.nrla.org.uk/resources/ending-your-tenancy
Do you have neighbours/other tenants? Maybe get them to sign a sort of petition to get them out, it may forward your case
Original post by Admit-One
Quick google: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/problems-where-you-live/squatting/

"You can't be arrested if you first entered the property with the owner's permission, for example, as a tenant or a licensee.

You also can't be arrested if your tenancy or licence has come to an end but you haven't yet moved out, or you're behind with your rent. In these circumstances, your landlord must give you notice and in most cases, go to court to evict you and repossess the property."

General info from a tenants POV (but an easy to read format): https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/eviction_notices_from_private_landlords

All the docs you need and what to do from a landords POV: https://www.nrla.org.uk/resources/ending-your-tenancy

Thank you so much for this information, I am currently in the process of a court case but it seems like from my research that the tenants always win and the landlord has a very slim chance of winning. The case has taken over a year and I cannot stand them living here anymore as it has severely impacted my relationship with my family.
Original post by LucaDahse123
Do you have neighbours/other tenants? Maybe get them to sign a sort of petition to get them out, it may forward your case

I have neighbours who I think are also annoyed by the loud noises at night, maybe I could do this. Thank you for the idea

If I was a tenant I'd probably be quite hostile to that idea, it would make me wonder what dodgy thing this landlord would do to ME when they wanted me out, not to mention what this neighbour might do to you when they find out...

(This assumes these other tenants don't have their own genuine complaints that they are already wanting to make)
Original post by StriderHort
If I was a tenant I'd probably be quite hostile to that idea, it would make me wonder what dodgy thing this landlord would do to ME when they wanted me out, not to mention what this neighbour might do to you when they find out...

(This assumes these other tenants don't have their own genuine complaints that they are already wanting to make)

These people seem to annoy everyone though. If they are not noisy, they have nothing to fear

There are no other tenants- just other neighbours. The tenants may not know about this petition thing with the neighbours
These people seem to annoy everyone though. If they are not noisy, they have nothing to fear

Yes they make a lot of loud noises at night which can be heard outside (by neighbours) since they have the windows open and the sound is very loud
I know they had this all planned out as they abused my kindness towards them as I lowered the price for them after they lied (which I did not know at the time) about the money they had
Original post by Anonymous
I know they had this all planned out as they abused my kindness towards them as I lowered the price for them after they lied (which I did not know at the time) about the money they had

Or rather the money they did not have- even though this was brand new accommodation
What was the first agreement that they signed?
Are they tenants renting the entire premises and occupying it all or lodgers living in a room or two within the property where you live?

Best to get in touch with The Landlord Group or Regency Law's Tenant Eviction Division.
Both offer the option of a fixed fee service, Regency Law also have a No Win, No Fee option.

'Annoy' is too broad imo, neighbours annoy each other on occasions and it's not illegal, it just happens, the cheaper and less exclusive you live, the more other people annoyances you face,

A neighbour with a noisy child or an argument might 'annoy' me, but I would definitely have mixed feelings with a landlord at my door trying to get me directly involved in evicting them, that's bad karma right there. (and if their landlord is going door to door trying to build an alliance against a one tenant then they have everything to fear, noisy or not, that's a hostile thing to be doing)
Original post by londonmyst
What was the first agreement that they signed?
Are they tenants renting the entire premises and occupying it all or lodgers living in a room or two within the property where you live?

Best to get in touch with The Landlord Group or Regency Law's Tenant Eviction Division.
Both offer the option of a fixed fee service, Regency Law also have a No Win, No Fee option.

Thank you so much I will definitely check this out
'Annoy' is too broad imo, neighbours annoy each other on occasions and it's not illegal, it just happens, the cheaper and less exclusive you live, the more other people annoyances you face,

A neighbour with a noisy child or an argument might 'annoy' me, but I would definitely have mixed feelings with a landlord at my door trying to get me directly involved in evicting them, that's bad karma right there. (and if their landlord is going door to door trying to build an alliance against a one tenant then they have everything to fear, noisy or not, that's a hostile thing to be doing)

Yes I guess you are right- better to not involve them and ruin the good relations with good neighbours
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I guess you are right- better to not involve them and ruin the good relations with good neighbours

Yea, it's not a road I'd want to go down - unless they were acting up to the point of calling the police immediately and at that point you and/or the police are directly asking neighbours as witnesses, things have already past the point of polite return then.

At this stage, all a petition or verbal assurances from a neighbour does is help convince you and you already want them out. Your essential problems with them are contract, damage and lack of communication right? the thing is neighbours can't comment on 2 of those and the 3rd (damage) is only if the see of hear something outside themselves :/

Are they still paying their previously agreed rent on time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending