The Student Room Group

actively choosing to go to a 'worse' uni?

let's say you've got a firm and insurance. Firm is decent russel group, insurance is quite a bit lower ranking and reputation wise.

In fact idk why I'm keeping it vague, the offers are for biology/biological sciences at Sussex and Liverpool. I firmed Liverpool because it's generally seen as a much better uni, but tbh, I've been to applicant days at both, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't really love Sussex, both the campus and Brighton. Not that Liverpool wasn't great too, it really was and it surprised me a lot, but I keep thinking about Sussex haha, it just keeps popping in my head every now and then.

At the moment of course this is hypothetical, I'd have to get Liverpool to release me and Sussex to agree to accept me, but from what I've heard Sussex is likely to do this, and typically goes in clearing anyway so should be doable.

I just absolutely loved Sussex when I was there, but it still feels like I'd be making a mistake. I think teacher and parental pressure ties into this and spending too long on TSR, a year or so ago I was convinced it was Oxbridge or nothing, I'm past that, but it still feels odd to reject Liverpool for Sussex, can't imagine what my parents would say if I told them I was thinking this haha.

anyone got advice?
At the end of the day it's your life and your uni experience, don't let your parents pressure you into either, not to mention TSR, as you said Oxbridge or nothing by their book. I'm not familiar with Sussex but I don't think specific rankings are as problematic as TSR thinks, if you're talking Oxbridge and Sussex its hands down in terms of rep, but even then it doesn't always matter if you're not doing something academic beyond that.

I don't know about biology at all, but in general things you should just weigh things up. You said you liked the Sussex campus and city more, is it something you'll be happy to move to a lower ranking uni for? Occasionally I think it's a bit shallow to pick a uni from the 'feel' you get at the uni, since usually neither of them look terrible, so it probably doesn't make too much of a difference to how much you'll like it there, other things like the course, city play a part too. But getting a better vibe, even if it doesn't mean much for how things will actually turn out, will definitely put you in a good frame of mind. Things like that. It's what happened to me this year actually, I had a couple unis give me the same offer, I just went for whichever uni felt nicer at the time. Granted the one that gave the better vibe happened to be ranked higher, so not even proving my point...
Go to Sussex then if you prefer it. There really is little difference between the two in terms of reputation. Unless you are talking about Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial then any perceived difference in reputation is miniscule to the point no one actually cares.
Original post by pepsiu
let's say you've got a firm and insurance. Firm is decent russel group, insurance is quite a bit lower ranking and reputation wise.

In fact idk why I'm keeping it vague, the offers are for biology/biological sciences at Sussex and Liverpool. I firmed Liverpool because it's generally seen as a much better uni, but tbh, I've been to applicant days at both, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't really love Sussex, both the campus and Brighton. Not that Liverpool wasn't great too, it really was and it surprised me a lot, but I keep thinking about Sussex haha, it just keeps popping in my head every now and then.

At the moment of course this is hypothetical, I'd have to get Liverpool to release me and Sussex to agree to accept me, but from what I've heard Sussex is likely to do this, and typically goes in clearing anyway so should be doable.

I just absolutely loved Sussex when I was there, but it still feels like I'd be making a mistake. I think teacher and parental pressure ties into this and spending too long on TSR, a year or so ago I was convinced it was Oxbridge or nothing, I'm past that, but it still feels odd to reject Liverpool for Sussex, can't imagine what my parents would say if I told them I was thinking this haha.

anyone got advice?

Well personally, I had interviews waiting but because I really wanted to apply for accom at Sussex because of how much I am in love with it, I’ve firmed just Sussex! I wouldve waited for the unis interview don’t get me wrong but they pushed the interview for a further month which I just could not wait for, so on UCAS Sussex is my only pick, and I don’t regret a thing! So I’d say go for what you love the most, you’re spending 3 or more years there don’t forget that! But then again I must say, if the rankings really matter the most to you then, how about this, make a list, name it “Sussex Advantages and Disadvantage” and “Liverpool Advantages and Disadvantages” and compare, you can even discuss your list with your friends or family! Best of luck to you, try not to sweat it too much! 😊
(edited 1 year ago)
If Sussex keeps coming back to you, I think your subconscious is trying to tell you something :smile: Would you feel more disappointed if you went to Liverpool instead? If you don't feel totally sure on Liverpool, I'd reconsider it. Also I agree with YourAverageApple - making a list and talking about it can help. I did that and chose the university that kept popping up in my head because I knew I would regret it if I didn't.
'Russell Group' is actually meaningless - its a marketing term thought up by some higher grade Unis to make them look 'special'. That is all.
There are a whole bunch of good Unis that didnt bother joining - Lancaster, St Andrews, Bath, Loughborough, Sussex etc.

If you will feel more comfortable at Sussex, that's where to go - three years is a long time to feel unhappy.
Its a lovely, smaller, Uni with a great village fee to the campus, and Brighton is a wonderful place to be a student.

If you want to switch your F&I choices, phone UCAS to get the process started.
Just be certain that this is what you want to do before you phone.
Original post by pepsiu

anyone got advice?

Dont be fooled by the Russell Group propaganda. If they were so good why did they need to st up a group to promote them.

Prior to 2011 there were 2 groupings. The RG which included Liverpool and the 1994 group which included Sussex. It also included Durham and Exeter before they PAID to join the RG. Other universities such as Bath, St Andrews, Lancaster and Sussex didnt pay to join. Durham and Exeter arent better for joining and St ndrews and Bath havent got worse for not joining.

Ignore RG and rankings and go where you will be happiest
Original post by swanseajack1
Dont be fooled by the Russell Group propaganda. If they were so good why did they need to st up a group to promote them.

Totally agree with that. And a lot of employers dont know all the russell group unis anyway apart from the obvious.
Before working in HE I had never even heard of the RG.
Happiness is important, but also bear in mind that cost of living can impact that… if you have a tight budget will one be more of a squeeze than the other?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending