The Student Room Group

What is the appeal of going to uni in London?

Not to bash anyone going there it's just to me london is so busy and crowded and expensive I couldn't imagine living there willingly for 4 years especially as a broke student. Like I would gladly travel up there for a couple days but only that. Anyone studying there why did you go?
I studied there because I live in London and wanted to stay at home instead of moving out.

I don’t really get the massive appeal with London either, it’s overrated.
I didn't study undergrad in London but - as a music student/musician - there's no better place for me to live, in terms of opportunities and number of venues! :gah:
As someone who grew up and did their undergraduate degree in the same small hometown, I was so glad to have done my postgrad in London.
Whilst London is expensive, there was so much more pros that came with being there: experience of living in a city, studying at a top university, meeting diverse/multicultural/like-minded people, the opportunity to see and do so many things, career opportunities, personal and professional growth etc
Being in London (even though it was only for a year) offered me so much more than my hometown could ever do. And surprisingly, I really thrived on the busyness.
Reply 4
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I didn't study undergrad in London but - as a music student/musician - there's no better place for me to live, in terms of opportunities and number of venues! :gah:

Original post by 1secondsofvamps
As someone who grew up and did their undergraduate degree in the same small hometown, I was so glad to have done my postgrad in London.
Whilst London is expensive, there was so much more pros that came with being there: experience of living in a city, studying at a top university, meeting diverse/multicultural/like-minded people, the opportunity to see and do so many things, career opportunities, personal and professional growth etc
Being in London (even though it was only for a year) offered me so much more than my hometown could ever do. And surprisingly, I really thrived on the busyness.

Yeah I could definitely see the appeal in that there are more career opportunities since London is basically the centre of everything! Easier to find work placements and jobs after study maybe?
Original post by Spelunker
Not to bash anyone going there it's just to me london is so busy and crowded and expensive I couldn't imagine living there willingly for 4 years especially as a broke student. Like I would gladly travel up there for a couple days but only that. Anyone studying there why did you go?

Not a London graduate, but I suppose people choose it because of the brand/how famous the city is, particularly international students. The opportunity to move from maybe a quieter hometown to a large one with plenty of recreational activities/things to do/night economy. How easy it is to attend interviews for internships, placements, and graduate roles as any large multinational is going to have some presence in the city.
Original post by Spelunker
Yeah I could definitely see the appeal in that there are more career opportunities since London is basically the centre of everything! Easier to find work placements and jobs after study maybe?

Definitely, if you can afford to stay in London after studying! (I'm a born-and-bred Londoner, so that dilemma fortunately was never an issue :colondollar: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending