The Student Room Group

I've had it up to here with my mum. Is my anger justified?

Scroll to see replies

It's possible that your mum doesn't realise the quiet you need to work. So the suggestion that you go elsewhere - library, relations . is good. Did she do higher education herself?

Then when you come back you'll feel much better knowing you've put the hours in that day.
Can I suggest also that what you are experiencing is the transition from being a child ( expecting your mum to take responsibility for decisions, things like organising decorating the house ) and becoming an adult ie you making the running and seeing the overall picture. It often hits you hard when you realise that if you don't do X or Y it won't be done. I think your mum is trying to help you make that transition and you are ( understandably ) not wanting to be bothered because you are still expecting her to act like your mum ie put you before herself.

You seem to still believe that your only responsibility is to yourself and your concerns. It isn't now you are an adult. It is to yourself yes. but equally to your mum, your family, friends etc.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Here's what I do (unintentionally, but it works): Do a really bad job and she won't ask you again... ever.

And this is what is meant by being immature. You are really too old to be acting as irresponsibly as this. If you get into the habit of selfishness you will 'end up in a nursing home on your own' as the saying goes.

You get out of relationships, life, what you put in.
Reply 22
Dissertation takes priority here, she was very devious to get you to come home to do her decorating, when you clearly have more important things on.

Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Or, give a morning to helping your mum, the afternoon for your dissetation and the evening to rest.

This is quite a good idea, however maybe do the dissertation in the morning, so she can't argue to try and make you paint into your study time, whereas if you need more study time, you can put off painting. Keeps everyone happy.
Original post by pickup
And this is what is meant by being immature. You are really too old to be acting as irresponsibly as this. If you get into the habit of selfishness you will 'end up in a nursing home on your own' as the saying goes.

You get out of relationships, life, what you put in.

Well no, because if I was being used as a slave to my mother instead of focussing on my actual future (i.e. university studies) then I'd go no where in life. How self destructive are you? There's nothing wrong with leaving the nest and going out on your own, it's two way - you leave and your parents cope without you. If you never stop helping, they would become dependent on your for the rest of their lives and that's one way of 'ending up in a nursing home on your own'.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Well no, because if I was being used as a slave to my mother instead of focussing on my actual future (i.e. university studies) then I'd go no where in life. How self destructive are you? There's nothing wrong with leaving the nest and going out on your own, it's two way - you leave and your parents cope without you. If you never stop helping, they would become dependent on your for the rest of their lives and that's one way of 'ending up in a nursing home on your own'.

Qui s'excuse, s'accuse.
I'm so lucky ; my parents don't make me do anything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending