The Student Room Group

How to cure sleep paralysis

Scroll to see replies

Not what I expected to see, and Im happy this way. But sorry about your problems and all.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm no doctor but sleep paralysis occurs when you wake up during REM sleep.

If you wake up during REM sleep, usually what happens is you are VERY tired but you have also woken up in the middle of a dream so you remember it. However, with sleep paralysis, your body hasn't woken up yet.

I would say two things:

- Get rid of anxiety and stress throughout the day
- Wake up in a non-REM bit of your sleep cycle.

Original post by DavyDG
I sleep at 12 and wake up at 5 everyday i think thats regular. And for the alarm i tried it..it didnt work

Posted from TSR Mobile

See, a sleep cycle lasts 1 hour and 30 minutes (90 minutes).

12:00 AM + 90 minutes = 1:30 AM
1:30 AM + 90 minutes = 3:00 AM
3:00 AM + 90 minutes = 4:30 AM
4:30 AM + 90 minutes = 6:00 AM

I think if you stop interrupting your sleep cycle, the problem will be fixed. So if you go to sleep at 12 AM, wake up minimum at 6 AM
(or 1:30 AM if you're a rebel), if you want to wake up later then 7:30 and then finally 9:00 AM.
Original post by DavyDG
I cant go back to sleep because i will be having nightmares

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by aamirac
know this is going to sound really really weird.
But have you tried to divert the topic of your dreams? Since you're aware that it's a nightmare, have you tried to change the scene and then gradually wake up or go back to sleep.

Original post by samantham999
Sleep on your side and maybe pray a little at night?

Original post by TheYearNiner
considering you are from zimbabwe, i suggest you watch or visit yadah tv. im sure you've heard of it.. Walter Magaya

I suggest these as remedies for bad dreams if they still persist.
Original post by DavyDG
I have a problem with sleep paralysis. It happens almost everyday with me actually counting less than 10 nights since january when i dont have it. It stats with a very bad dream . Usually i now know how to distinguish if it is a dream and i try to wake up. I then realise that i am paralysed and cannot move even my eye lids. I usualy get out of it by using all my power to move my leg and i when it just moves an inch i wake up like i have been statled. Yesterday the routine of trying to move my leg did not work and i had to spend 30 minutes being concious and having the nightmares continuosly play out in my head but knowing that its a dream and i could not get out of it. Its now becoming harder and harder to wake up. Im even scared to go to sleep. Please help
Posted from TSR Mobile

You should go and see a doctor if it's bothering you. They can recommend you to the sleep clinic where they will monitor your sleep patterns. And may be able to help you :smile:
See a doctor

Spoiler

I recently had an episode of sleep paralysis. I heard a voice coming from my laptop telling me to kill someone. I was like "f*ck that, I'm really tired, do it yourself".

If your SP persists, then please see your GP.
Reply 26
For a long time since I was a child, I have suffered sleep paralysis and mistaken it for nightmare. Only tonight that I have realised it is in fact sleep paralysis.I had a pretty problematic, traumatic and stressful childhood, and that is where I think it's started. Looking back, I have more episodes of this when I was anxious, angry, stress or had gone to bed when I just eaten a big meal.There was episodes when it happened for a minute and I was able to wake myself up then as I fall asleep it will happen again. The most was like 4 times in one night. I had to change positions or properly wake up to reorient myself, and that usually works and will fall back to sleep without having the episodes.At some point, it felt almost like paranormal. When the hallucinations felt real. One time, as I fall asleep with my first bf (our first time sleeping together on a holiday) , I woke up, but can't move. Suddenly out of no where an Indian girl came to our room, strangled me and was shouting. I felt her fingers digging on to my neck, I couldn't breath, I couldn't move to stop her, it felt real that I even felt her saliva spitting on my face as she was shouting at me. I used all my forces to shout, then my bf woke up, really shocked. As I don't know what was going on and everything felt real, I told him exactly what happened and how it felt. He was terrified. He thought I was nuts. He broke up with me as soon as our holiday finished.One of the worst episodes of my sleep paralysis. It's terrifying but now that I know what exactly it is, I am less worried.Good luck, also I found that since I lost weight, I suffered less of it, maybe twice in a year or so. Xxx

Quick Reply

Latest