The Student Room Group

You ever had a stranger say anything to you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PreppyNinja

He concluded that, "Education is the key to everything. Be educated and don't let a man dictate your life. If you have a few papers to prove that you are educated, then you have the world."

---

I love chatting to strangers.

This for some reason reminds me of the time when blackberry messenger was down and I went to the shop for my pre-economics snacks and there was this man there who insisted to me, for some unknown reason that 'da BBM was down cause the Government scared of the people and want to control them'
I had a mad old lady run up to me in a supermarket on Skye and ask excitedly which part of Germany I was from.
She seemed put out when I said London.

I have no idea why she thought I was german...
Reply 62
Once I walking down the street, minding my own business, and this woman comes up to me, hugs me, and says "Lindsey! How's your mother?"

I have no idea who Lindsey is.

Another time, I was again, minding my own business, about 5 minutes away from my house, and these two old women pull up in their car and ask me if I wanted a ride home. I politely declined (getting into a strangers car and all that) they went on to assure me that they were in fact, not kidnappers, but just two nice women. Needless to say, I still didn't get in the car. Just in case.
I was sat on the train with my friend and this guy randomly started singing to me......quite an awkward moment :s-smilie:
Reply 64
Just the other day, the craziest Australian lady came up to my friends and I whilst we sat outside the chip shop. She was clearly drunk and she just dragged these 3 little dogs along with her. She then proceeded to bitch us out about the state of the education and class system here. Once that was over, she handed my mate the dog's leads and just upped and left around the corner. She came back with a bottle of wine about 5 minutes later and proceeded to rant some more.
Fun times.
I got on the bus the other day, and an old lady told me which seat to sit in.

I sat there. :colonhash:
Original post by Jamirey
Just the other day, the craziest Australian lady came up to my friends and I whilst we sat outside the chip shop. She was clearly drunk and she just dragged these 3 little dogs along with her. She then proceeded to bitch us out about the state of the education and class system here. Once that was over, she handed my mate the dog's leads and just upped and left around the corner. She came back with a bottle of wine about 5 minutes later and proceeded to rant some more.
Fun times.

It sounds like you encountered Germaine Greer outside of the chippy haha
Original post by Holby_fanatic
This old lady at the bus stop started telling me how to make chilli jam...

And this old man at the bus stop said to me, "I've never had a Welsh girlfriend... You can be my first!" (He heard my accent as I was on the phone).

I went to Wales for the first time last year(I am Scottish) and never met lovelier people, I heard all these stories(from English people) about how you all hate the English and speak in Welsh whenever you can.

Went down there and I guess that was partly true, whenever someone realised I was Scottish they were very friendly, and the women were very flirty to the point I couldnt tell if that was just friendliness(they acted like Stacey from Gavin and Stacey) and each time I asked if a Scottish note was ok to use EVERYONE said they would rather have a Scottish note than a English note!!

The Welsh are lovely people.
So...are you eyes for real? :rolleyes:
Original post by drbluebox
I went to Wales for the first time last year(I am Scottish) and never met lovelier people, I heard all these stories(from English people) about how you all hate the English and speak in Welsh whenever you can.

Went down there and I guess that was partly true, whenever someone realised I was Scottish they were very friendly, and the women were very flirty to the point I couldnt tell if that was just friendliness(they acted like Stacey from Gavin and Stacey) and each time I asked if a Scottish note was ok to use EVERYONE said they would rather have a Scottish note than a English note!!

The Welsh are lovely people.

We are lovely! We also love Scottish people. :yep: And the women are very flirty sometimes. I often think there must be something in the water which makes us that little bit better. :tongue:
Reply 70
Original post by rageagainstessays
It sounds like you encountered Germaine Greer outside of the chippy haha

Haha she basically was a younger Germaine Greer. Going on and on about how great the girls at her single sex Catholic school were...
while I was in the library revising a while back, a gay man came and sat next to me and started telling me things about his relationship with his boyfriend (he was probably 30 and I am 16) I was terrified and scared and all I did was nod after every sentence.
Reply 72
Original post by WheresPebbles
That's quite a good policy. Mind if I adopt that?

I think the weirdest thing was while I was waiting at the bus and the woman next to me started to tell me her life story. Turns out she had cancer twice. I had no idea what to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a very effective policy.

Following my policy, you should have asked if she had a gun.
If she was indeed carrying, i'd have recommended listening to the story intensively(Possibly even taking notes)

Ive often found that those carrying guns will pop quiz you later on the story they've told. And if you fail the quiz, well it's not a called a "pop" quiz for nothing.
Reply 73
Original post by Bellissima
yes, i'm afraid it is british. you leave the UK and the difference is crazy. in many places it's completely normal to just say "hello" to strangers at minimum. having a conversation is commonplace.

what i find strange is the reactions that people are demonstrating here to people just TALKING. why do you have to consider the motives of someone just trying to chat with you? why does their trustworthiness have to be measured? of course anyone who has fallen victim to a lecherous man making slimy comments would agree that is horrible... but just normal day to day chit chat? why not?

It seems to be the case in major cities where there are people upon people and everyone's a bit retracted. So I don't think it could attributed to the UK alone. I've never been to the UK but that concept is quite familiar to me as I live in a city as well. People living in cities tend to be way more wary of each other unfortunately. :s-smilie:
Pretty recently I was just standing at the bus stop when a girl, maybe late teens or early twenties, walked past. She kept walking, but she made eye contact with me as she went by and said "You look sick - inside and outside." I hadn't actually realised she was talking to me at this point, but when she'd gone I decided it must have been me she was talking to. I was pretty confused because I'd never seen her before.

And then a day later, I got a cold and was sneezing all over the place.

Hm.
Once when I was waiting for a bus, an old man turned and asked me if I was a hairdresser. When I said I wasn't, he said "Oh, well you look like you should be one".
...I'm not sure whether that was a compliment or an insult :erm:

I like having random conversations with strangers though - I always have conversations with the checkout people in shops :smile:
Original post by Emre944
It seems to be the case in major cities where there are people upon people and everyone's a bit retracted. So I don't think it could attributed to the UK alone. I've never been to the UK but that concept is quite familiar to me as I live in a city as well. People living in cities tend to be way more wary of each other unfortunately. :s-smilie:

the only place where i have felt it is like how it is in the UK is paris. other large cities, no. where do you live?
Reply 77
All the time.
Actually yesterday I was walking into college, it was raining, I was rushing in with my umbrella and this guy said hey, so I nodded politely and carried on, he then shouted something along the lines of 'you are very sexy I would like a girl like you' which is just weird, I don't understand why people feel the need to say things like that, it makes me so so uncomfortable and they probably say it to all the girls.. Do they think the girl is going to turn around and drop their pants? :undefined:confused
Reply 78
I was once eating a chocolate bar while waiting for the bus and I opened up the wrapper and a little corner of it fell onto the floor so naturally I didn't bother picking it up as it was so small. Then an old lady scuffed it towards me with her shoe and said would you mind picking that up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by Bellissima
the only place where i have felt it is like how it is in the UK is paris. other large cities, no. where do you live?

Istanbul, Turkey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending