Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girlfriend - Golddigger Experiment. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This Christmas I spent £100 on my girlfriend. We've been together a substantial amount of time, over 2 years, and as a debt ridden, poor student, it's the most I could afford.

On her part, she spent roughly £10 on me.

We are from similar financial backgrounds and are slightly supported by family, but her personal finances are sailing in calm black seas, while mine dress in tarty red and go flirting with the bank manager every month.

I know it's the thought that counts, I know money doesn't mean much, love conquers all, but I can't help feeling just a slightest bit peeved that I scrapped my pennies off the floor to make her Christmas, yet she (seriously) spent as much on her cat's birthday last month than she has on me.

I feel like I might be being taken for a ride, in which I merrily sit astride Santa's sleigh throwing out gifts, and in return **** Dastardly pulls up alongside for Muttley to crap in my sack.

Immoral as it may be, I've decided to run a small experiment. Her birthday arrives in a couple of weeks, and unlike last year where she received a new necklace and matching ear rings, this year I'm getting her a single box of chocs and maybe some stationary, just to gauge her reaction, and admittedly, savour a small bitter sweet nugget flavoured with the mildest revenge. Mostly to see what happens though.

Am I a horrible person?
    Why did you spend so much on her if you can't afford it?

Tbh, I would be pissed if my boyfriend (in a similar situation to you) gave me chocolates and stationary for my birthday. Not because it's cheap but because it's the kind of thing someone who doesn't really know you gives you. I know you think it's about how much you spend, but it is about the thought. I bet if you brought her over to your house, cooked a nice meal, rented her favourite movie to watch and gave her a pretty (but inexpensive) bunch of flowers she would like it more than whatever you spent the £100 on.

ReputationRep:
    ditch the *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This Christmas I spent £100 on my girlfriend. We've been together a substantial amount of time, over 2 years, and as a debt ridden, poor student, it's the most I could afford.

On her part, she spent roughly £10 on me.

We are from similar financial backgrounds and are slightly supported by family, but her personal finances are sailing in calm black seas, while mine dress in tarty red and go flirting with the bank manager every month.

I know it's the thought that counts, I know money doesn't mean much, love conquers all, but I can't help feeling just a slightest bit peeved that I scrapped my pennies off the floor to make her Christmas, yet she (seriously) spent as much on her cat's birthday last month than she has on me.

I feel like I might be being taken for a ride, in which I merrily sit astride Santa's sleigh throwing out gifts, and in return **** Dastardly pulls up alongside for Muttley to crap in my sack.

Immoral as it may be, I've decided to run a small experiment. Her birthday arrives in a couple of weeks, and unlike last year where she received a new necklace and matching ear rings, this year I'm getting her a single box of chocs and maybe some stationary, just to gauge her reaction, and admittedly, savour a small bitter sweet nugget flavoured with the mildest revenge. Mostly to see what happens though.

Am I a horrible person?
    No you're not horrible. Just make sure that she doesn't ever know that you're doing it as an experiment or you're going to laugh about it afterwards etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think this experiment is genius and can't wait for her birthday (you better update us!)

But.. what will you if she doesn't care? Bet you'd feel super guilty

My boyfrind insists he never has any money to take me out properly, and i can understand that.
    so i wasn't expecting any big presents. he got me a modest necklace for my birthday a while back. and he asked me what i wanted, i didn't want to put him under any pressure. i got him a crappy cuddly toy cause he had joked he wanted it. and a bit of aftershave. i spent about 20 pound on him. he got me loadsss... spent about 60 pound at least. i feel oh so guilty. so what i'm trying to say. it's the thought that counts.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.