The Student Room Group

Why do I have better luck w/ (conventionally) good looking men than unattractive men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dheorl
I said fishing for an answer, not for compliments. Please learn to read in addition to sorting out your vanity.

Well I'd rather not be able to read than be someone like you who comes to a thread with no intention other than to make someone feel bad.

This is not about my vanity. I've already said I'm not pretty, I've admitted to having insecurities and problems with my own father and the relationship between my parents. If I was so vain I would admit to none of it, and be a perfect special little snowflake.

Clearly, you are the one who thinks you are superior so please check yourself before discussing vanity :smile:
Original post by Jebedee
For a woman yes. Men care about looks far more than a woman but women care a lot about being considered more attractive than their partner.

Saying you are often approached by attractive guys is a heavy implication that you are yourself attractive.

Okay then I suppose I am just a narcissist then. For me though it's not about wanting to be seen as attractive.... I know I'm not really that pretty and I'm okay with that I do what I can in terms of looking after my body, hair and skin and it takes effort but I enjoy doing girly stuff and pampering. But I'll never look like a Maxim girl, a runway model or even an instagram chick and that's not my aim. I think for me it's about feeling safer with my partner, which I admit is selfish. Read post 7 where I spoke of my 'attractive' father (who I do believe may have NPD and is a very shallow, emotionless man, devoid of empathy etc,) cheated on my mother destroying my family. I very much resent him for it and told myself at a young age (9) I never want to deal with a man like him and should I ever meet a man like him I will run for the hills. Of course that's just my paradigm and the real world isn't like that. The reality is anyone can cheat or treat you bad but it doesn't weigh up with my belief system that I've held for so long.

I will repeat I'm not attractive! And I don't think it's true that attractive men only go for attractive women. In fact I rarely see couples where both parties are very attractive. I live in central London and I see hundreds of couples everyday. For instance most of the attractive, tall men who are often professionals I see are coupled up with plain looking women, many of whom look kind of old and weathered despite probably only being in their 20s or 30s, have thin hair, not very slim but not overweight etc.
Original post by MountKimbie
Aw :frown: does personality not count for anything

Nah sorry just being honest unless I change my ways your lovely face is just too distracting!
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Sexual psychologist here

The reason is because you prefer to "receive and believe". its the female version of pump and dump. However you like to "receive and believe" due to a stressful event with a male (Possibly father figure) in your formative years

Receive and believe is a powerful aversion to being let down and hurt by potential male spouse so you choose the low hanging fruit as you deem it more safe and yourself more worthy

Betelgeuse MD XXO

That's interesting. Yes I talked about that in post 7 and 82. My dad's cheating and wrecking of the family messed me up somewhat and messed up my trust before I even got to secondary school. Now as an adult I still feel an inability to trust, not just romantically even my some of my friends and my peers. Despite trying to aim for the 'low hanging fruit' I've still end up being hurt, betrayed and used. It sounds bizarre but I fear my father's influence has cursed me to the point where I will only ever be attracted to men who I think are safe but will end up mistreating me in the end i.e. wolves in sheep's clothing.
Original post by HmmIsIt
Show us a photo of you

I'm not sure what that will accomplish. I'm not here to get ratings of myself.
Original post by Anonymous
Okay then I suppose I am just a narcissist then. For me though it's not about wanting to be seen as attractive.... I know I'm not really that pretty and I'm okay with that I do what I can in terms of looking after my body, hair and skin and it takes effort but I enjoy doing girly stuff and pampering. But I'll never look like a Maxim girl, a runway model or even an instagram chick and that's not my aim. I think for me it's about feeling safer with my partner, which I admit is selfish. Read post 7 where I spoke of my 'attractive' father (who I do believe may have NPD and is a very shallow, emotionless man, devoid of empathy etc,) cheated on my mother destroying my family. I very much resent him for it and told myself at a young age (9) I never want to deal with a man like him and should I ever meet a man like him I will run for the hills. Of course that's just my paradigm and the real world isn't like that. The reality is anyone can cheat or treat you bad but it doesn't weigh up with my belief system that I've held for so long.

I will repeat I'm not attractive! And I don't think it's true that attractive men only go for attractive women. In fact I rarely see couples where both parties are very attractive. I live in central London and I see hundreds of couples everyday. For instance most of the attractive, tall men who are often professionals I see are coupled up with plain looking women, many of whom look kind of old and weathered despite probably only being in their 20s or 30s, have thin hair, not very slim but not overweight etc.

Well there we go then. you're making a blanket generalisation with your preference in partner based on your own experience which will be far different to others. Would it make a difference if I told you that overall less attractive men are more likely to cheat than attractive men?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending