The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
90x5 should net 100 single.
Okay session tonight. Felt really tired and weak all day due to poor sleep night before and lack of food today, but went anyway because it's always better going than not going, and I hate Saturday sessions. Didn't squat though because I know I'd have failed badly on them.

Press:

64 x 5/4/3/3

Just 1kg under my all time 5RM for first set, but other sets tapered off. Still got in all 15 reps though.

Deadlifts:

160 x 5

Probably slightly easier than Monday's. Low back rounding a little bit because of flexibility issues. Haven't been stretching and mobbing as much these last few days so that explains it.

Skull crushers, curls and GHRs triset:

bar + 20 three sets of ten on arms and bodyweight three sets of ten on GHRs

Was really, really strict on arms movements with lots of TUT. Actually quite felt the curls in my abs, probably because they're weak.

Stretching, mobility and home.
Okay session tonight.

High bar squats:

135 x 5/5/5

Not too difficult I was told, but should've done more stretching on the weekend as I was quite tight.

Bench press:

100 x f/1/f
90 x 2/2
70 x 8 - 2s pause

Missed 100 the first time because I took it way back towards my face. If it wasn't for my spotter I would've been seriously injured. Then got it, but missed it again as I wasn't tight enough. Was told to do some quick doubles with 90, reluctantly agreed, but they were quite quick with no problems, then did a paused set with 70.

Barbell rows:

90 x 5/5/5

Stricter this time.

Mobility, stretching and home.
Meh session tonight.

Paused high bar squats:

100 x 5/5

Switching to light squats on Wednesdays since I'm feeling quite beat up at the moment and want to prolong the progression for a while yet. Also next few Wednesdays are going to be problematic for me because of other stuff, so light squats make sense.

Press:

64 x 3

****. Shoulders were really tight and had little strength.

Deadlifts:

165 x 5

Not perfect but okay. Upper back quite tight so not hitting quite so good positions in the set up.

Stretching and home.
Okay session tonight.

High bar squats:

137.5 x 5/5/5

Used a belt because no-one cares how much you lift without one. Made the lift a lot better, particularly in my control of my abs which reduced the hip tuck I was having, so got more hamstrings in the lift.

Push press:

90 x 1
95 x f

Meh. Upper body pressing muscles are maybe a bit tired.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5/4/3

Okay.

Mobility and home.
how to engage hamstrings in a squat? i'm having this issue, my squat is mainly glutes and some quads
Keep your back angle constant. The high bar squat should be initiated by shoving the knees forward and out to create some space between the ankles for the hips to sit into. Once the knees have been shoved forward there should be no further forward movement; it's then about sitting between the ankles. The hamstrings will help keep the back angle constant when sitting into the squat and coming out of the hole.
Really good session tonight.

High bar squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Finally the big three plates. Not easy, but felt easier when I got angry at it.

Bench press:

90 x 3/3/5

Quite happy with this, matching my 5RM after two triples. Last rep was a grinder but none of the triples were excruciating.

Dumbbell bench press:

30s x 9/8/6

First set felt surprisingly light, but too much lactic acid at 10th rep to complete. Felt heavier on second set and on last set I could tell that my triceps had had enough.

Deadlifts:

170 x 5

Wore the belt because no-one cares how much you lift without one. Not too bad.

Some quite mobility and stretching then home.
(edited 11 years ago)
I like that things are going well for you again :smile:. Keep it up.
Thanks bro. Back still isn't 100% but I can still lift weights.
Reply 1230
The comeback is coming.
Light Wednesday.

Paused high bar squat:

102.5 x 5/5

Speed press:

40 x 3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3

Fast.

Chins:

bodyweight x 2/4/5/3/3

Meh.
Good session again tonight.

High bar squats:

142.5 x 5/5/5

Very difficult tonight. Feeling very tired before gym so wouldn't have been all that disappointed had I not got them all.

Bench press:

92.5 x 3/3/3

Quite difficult, but nothing excruciating.

Deadlifts:

175 x 5

Not too bad at all.

Some quick pull downs and rows using available machines then home.
Okay session tonight.

High bar pause squat [2s]

105 x 5/5

Okay.

Bench press:

95 x 3/3/2

First two reps of each set weren't too bad but the last ones were killers and I even totally failed the last one of the last set. On the last one of the second set I pulled my hamstring a little bit which meant I couldn't do deadlifts which ****ing sucks.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5

These were okay.

Pull downs:

4 x 10

Not a very good upper back exercise - only feel them in my biceps so stopped.

Home.
Good, but not too long session tonight.

High bar squats:

145 x 5/5/5

Very difficult.

Press:

60 x 5/5/5

Quite difficult. Reset this since I failed twice then didn't press heavy for like two weeks. Trying to keep more external rotation too - so well it more in the triceps.

Seated cable rows:

the whole ****ing stack 5 x 10

Not hard at all. Short rest periods. Wanted a better, more upper back focused rowing movement, which it is, but there isn't enough weight in the stack to make it a worthwhile lift.

Okay session tonight.

High bar pause squat [2-3s]:

107.5 x 5/5

Quite hard actually.

Bench press:

97.5 x 2/2/0/0
85 x 5/6

Just couldn't get a third rep of 97.5, was losing tightness, then couldn't get any reps! So backed down to get some volume and actually got a rep PR with 85.

Deadlifts:

180 x 5

Not too bad.

Quick one tonight as I felt very unrecovered, so no squats.

Press:

62.5 x 5/5/5

Not too bad actually; easier than I was expecting (which was to fail to be honest).

Speed bench:

60 x 3/3/3/3/3/3

Probably not strong enough for this to be of any use.

Rows:

90 x 5/5

Back wasn't liking these.

Skull crushers and curl super set:

bar + 30 x 8/8/10 on each lift

Good session tonight.

High bar squats:

147.5 x 5/5/5

These were really difficult.

Bench press:

85 x 5/5/5/5/5

5x5 PR. Not too difficult apart from the last rep. Damned last rep syndrome.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5/0

lol couldn't do another after my three sets of five.

Facepulls:

4 x 10

Different weights to see what best targets the upper back. No point in using any body English on this.

Original post by Smack

Bench press:

85 x 5/5/5/5/5

5x5 PR. Not too difficult apart from the last rep. Damned last rep syndrome.

Also, Same 5*5 PR as i hit on bench today. :ahee:

Yet you 3*5'd on squats like 7.5kg more than my 1RM PB. Nice work.
Reply 1239
It's all about awesome bench PR's today (y) Seems like Mondays a lucky day for benching.

Quick Reply

Latest