The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
yo-less
read the previous posts

I HAVE!

i just wanna know if i qualify for special needs....im not sure....all i know is that im registerd disabled
Reply 21
Cazzi_Bear
I HAVE!

i just wanna know if i qualify for special needs....im not sure....all i know is that im registerd disabled

then i suppose...you'd have to ask juuero chou :cool:
Reply 22
yo-less
then i suppose...you'd have to ask juuero chou :cool:

yeh suppose..

well im completly deaf (only a tiny bit of hearing in one ear....therefore hearing aid)....so i think thats good enough!

MMR'S falt too!
Reply 23
Cazzi_Bear
well im completly deaf (only a tiny bit of hearing in one ear....therefore hearing aid)....so i think thats good enough!

I'd say so, you in! (well, ask juuero chou, but whatever)
Reply 24
dhutch
I'd say so, you in! (well, ask juuero chou, but whatever)

yeh...i hate it but i love it if ya no what i mean. free disability money, and being different...ive always found it an advantage..

(apart from gettin jobs which is hard!)
Reply 25
Well, before we can really accept any members we will need to come up with a definition of special needs and what it does and doesn't cover.
Reply 26
Special Needs(as used for children but equally applicable to adults)
:A term used in Education law. A child has special needs if s/he has:
a) significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of his or her age; and
b)the learning difficulty calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. Educational provision is defined as provision that is additional to or otherwise different from the educational provision made generally for children of the child's age in maintained schools other than special schools in the area.
OR has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities

but then also

Someone with medical, emotional, mental or behavioral needs that will require on-going assistance and support
Well I guess I count.
Reply 28
bouncy
Special Needs(as used for children but equally applicable to adults)
:A term used in Education law. A child has special needs if s/he has:
a) significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of his or her age; and
b)the learning difficulty calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. Educational provision is defined as provision that is additional to or otherwise different from the educational provision made generally for children of the child's age in maintained schools other than special schools in the area.
OR has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities

but then also

Someone with medical, emotional, mental or behavioral needs that will require on-going assistance and support

I think that covers the definition.
Reply 29
you really should have a list mark :p:

cos i would be interested in the sense that ive had experience working with special needs children (and doing my mums uni work on it :biggrin:)
Reply 30
bouncy
you really should have a list mark :p:

cos i would be interested in the sense that ive had experience working with special needs children (and doing my mums uni work on it :biggrin:)

I am hoping that pig will make it a group since it is a valid society and there are many issues we can talk about.
Reply 31
He isnt making any more though is he?
Reply 32
bouncy
He isnt making any more though is he?

hmmm, if he isn't then I guess we will have to do it the hard way (although I could make a plea of it being a lot more valid than say the flirts society)
Reply 33
i have special needs

i have a statment so that i get surrport but i have never been diagnosed because i have not had any tests, but i am dyslexics at least.

sophie (i got so many things wrong as it is or have difficulties with things but dont have any special nams for them yet)

sophie
Reply 34
soph2004
i have special needs
- i have a statment.

Yeah, anyone with a statment (like me) has to count as been special.

Daniel
Oooh, hello new society :cool:

Me....
Well, I'm profoundly deaf, but wear hearing aids. have coped relatively well in mainstream schools, so yeah, the usual round of stuff. Speech isn't wonderful, mostly understandable, but don't ask me to say too many S's :wink:
Plus, had a assessment a couple years ago for motor skills etc, result, i have very bad fine motor skills (don't ask me to draw anything, ever :p: i run screaming in the opposite direction :wink:), handwriting is usually legible ish, unless I'm writing very very fast. Also have a non-existent sense of balance, tend to zig-zag a bit sometimes when walking and not concentrating on it :p:

Do I qualify? :p:
Reply 36
bwgames

Me....
Well, I'm profoundly deaf, but wear hearing aids. have coped relatively well in mainstream schools, so yeah, the usual round of stuff. Speech isn't wonderful, mostly understandable, but don't ask me to say too many S's :wink:
Plus, had a assessment a couple years ago for motor skills etc, result, i have very bad fine motor skills (don't ask me to draw anything, ever :p: i run screaming in the opposite direction :wink:), handwriting is usually legible ish, unless I'm writing very very fast. Also have a non-existent sense of balance, tend to zig-zag a bit sometimes when walking and not concentrating on it :p:

i know this girl that goes to these sign language lessons and its really cool to she people talking using sign i going to learn i learnt a bit she and my mum has been teaching me

its cool

yer having statement does make u special cos there hard to get and keep my local concil (agrrrrr :mad: cant spell sorry) keep trying to take it away but i couldnt servive without especially the exam help i get a laptop becuase of it which helps so much means that my results are now actually good instead of failing because no one can read my writing and with a laptop i can use big words

sophie
Reply 37
bwgames

Me....

at last someone like me!!! :smile:

i cant bear to wear two hearing aids......i try and look as normal as poss so i stick with one. vain i know..lol Im the cazzi bear goth gal :smile:
i slur in my speech but apart from that im ok really, got B in english gcse nd stuff despite my awful handwriting:smile:
dont have ANY balance whatsoever...always walking zig zaggy...lol

looks like we have alot in common mate!!

have u been deaf ur whole life or did it coem suddenly like mine

(which i more or less know is because of a jab i had when i was 7....dammit i know what im missing out on!)
Cazzi_Bear
at last someone like me!!! :smile:

i cant bear to wear two hearing aids......i try and look as normal as poss so i stick with one. vain i know..lol Im the cazzi bear goth gal :smile:
i slur in my speech but apart from that im ok really, got B in english gcse nd stuff despite my awful handwriting:smile:
dont have ANY balance whatsoever...always walking zig zaggy...lol

looks like we have alot in common mate!!

have u been deaf ur whole life or did it coem suddenly like mine

(which i more or less know is because of a jab i had when i was 7....dammit i know what im missing out on!)

Heh, I just tend to forget about them.... No one really picks up on them right away either. Reminds me of an episode in school back in Year 8/9, I was wearing this radio aid which clipped onto back of the hearing aid, and had round earring like things for antennae.... I'm chatting to a mate, the head of site comes round the corner "Ben, take those earrings off!" "Err..miss...." she realised, and we had a good laugh about it :biggrin:
Mmm, gothness. I tend to like it in other people, but just haven't found anything I like clothes wise for me, and Camden Town's so expensive! :eek: (Yes, I like London :biggrin: )

Yeah, my speech has got worse over the last year, mainly cause I've hardly talked and stress and blergh; not a big fan of group situations either.

Weirdly, I never had any problem with listening/reading/writing part of languages, got A for English, and A* French (but didn't do speaking part :biggrin: ) at GCSE.

Yeah, been deaf whole life, I decided I wanted to get out of mum a few months too early (June instead of September) Whooops. :rolleyes: I guess if you know what you're missing out on, its harder. I know things I'm missing out on, but meh... maybe not to the same degree as people who've experienced it.

i know this girl that goes to these sign language lessons and its really cool to she people talking using sign i going to learn i learnt a bit she and my mum has been teaching me

I keep meaning to learn sign language actually... Go to a deaf youth group in Oxford, and ironically I'm more friendly with a hearing brother of a deaf (signing) person who goes there. Its kind of embarrassing when you have very little clue what he's saying/how to reply.
My mum's done sign language for her job (teacher of the deaf), and she used to practise it, whilst she was driving. Unnerved me no end.
Reply 39
bwgames

Me....

Hey I'd love to join this...basically I have the same problem as bwgames and other people here - severe hearing loss, I need 2 hearing aids in my ear. Um, I somehow lost my hearing when I was 5-ish. No one knows why, it's a bit of a mystery to everyone lol.

However, my speech apparently is amazingly good for someone with severe hearing-loss (my audiologist/paediatrician loved me 'cos of that...I think they liked doing "experiments" on me) and they kept trying to work out what the hell happened with my speech to make it good. Needless to say it was scary.

I too have coped well in mainstream schools, but considering that, I used to suffer from very low confidence in group situations because I can't talk in "group" only one on one....As for motor skills I'm wondering if I should get that assessed, apparently I've got very bad spatial awareness, I'm struggling lwith learning to drive from a spatial point of view (ie identifying other drivers). Mmmm. I'm definitely very clumsy, and my handwriting is horrible when writing fast.

Latest

Trending

Trending