The Student Room Group

Boyfriend picks gaming over me?

Yes, I know how pathetic the title sounds. Basically, my boyfriend and I have been together for a few months now. He's part of this TF2 'clan' - basically a group of friends who play matches against other teams. Now I thought this was a little sad when I first heard about it, but he enjoys it so I've left him to it. However, he's began to tell me during phone calls or IM conversations that he has to go so he can practice with his team. I understand that he needs his own time, but we're talking 5pm-9pm every weekday and 12pm-7pm every weekend. It seems a little excessive to me, and although he's never cancelled plans for seeing me due to gaming, I can't help but feel that's the next step. Should I talk to him about this? My friends are also saying to 'dump him and find someone normal', but I don't think that's fair. Idk. Advice?

Scroll to see replies

If it isn't affecting your relationship leave him to it. It's when he starts ditching you for the gaming that I would say something. All guys have their 'obsessions' - be it sport or gaming.
WoW, that is pretty bad :awesome:
Reply 3
sunlightxstarbright
Yes, I know how pathetic the title sounds. Basically, my boyfriend and I have been together for a few months now. He's part of this TF2 'clan' - basically a group of friends who play matches against other teams. Now I thought this was a little sad when I first heard about it, but he enjoys it so I've left him to it. However, he's began to tell me during phone calls or IM conversations that he has to go so he can practice with his team. I understand that he needs his own time, but we're talking 5pm-9pm every weekday and 12pm-7pm every weekend. It seems a little excessive to me, and although he's never cancelled plans for seeing me due to gaming, I can't help but feel that's the next step. Should I talk to him about this? My friends are also saying to 'dump him and find someone normal', but I don't think that's fair. Idk. Advice?

There's this girl I know, who is absolutely stunning. All the lads in the Sixth Form fawn over her, but she's taken. And one time, her lad chose CounterStrike: Source over having sex with her. Lunacy I tells ya.

I think you should tell him that you feel pushed out by Team Fortress 2, and that he needs to get his priorities in order. You're real, and immediate. Team Fortress is not.
Reply 4
sil3nt_cha0s

god that's the worst joke i've heard this week :biggrin:

Reply 5
you're probably not that good looking....

ONLY kidding

just leave him
**** me. That's not even a game worth playing either. I mean a bitta cod4 or halo3 instead of the gf is doable if you can't be bothered...but tf2? jesus. Plus thats an insane amount of hours! I think i agree with your friends.
Reply 7
sunlightxstarbright

He's playing 4 hours a night and 7 on weekends? How long does he spend with you? Its perfectly fine for a guy to have gaming time but he shouldn't be choosing it over you. I'd give him a chance to change his ways and spend more time with you and if he doesn't dump his ass. See how much he enjoys TF2 when he hasn't got you anymore.
Reply 8
Get into TF2 and kick his ass on it :biggrin:
Me and my boyfriend play Halo together. It's a pretty fun thing to do when we have free time. :smile:
Reply 9
FrancesO
Get into TF2 and kick his ass on it :biggrin:
Me and my boyfriend play Halo together. It's a pretty fun thing to do when we have free time. :smile:

nerd
Hey, could be worst...he could be playing World of Warcraft. :awesome: :sigh:
Reply 11
sil3nt_cha0s

Lawl, LFG Tank 4 RLFail HC.
Reply 12
uktom91
nerd

Maybe. ^^
maybe your boring. Or he thinks you are. Its possible

was he like this before you got together - if yes then you really cant complain

Nelo Angelo
See how much he enjoys TF2 when he hasn't got you anymore.

seeing as he plays 34 hours a week now and he has a girlfriend i doubt he will miss her that much.

I have to say it sounds like your second best whether because you dont hold his interest or the game hold his interest TOO much. You need to sort out of he will cut down the amount or re-evaluate your relationship. If hes happy being on his own playing his game - then i doubt your going to get in the way too much if you leave
ChrisLincoln
**** me. That's not even a game worth playing either. I mean a bitta cod4 or halo3 instead of the gf is doable if you can't be bothered...but tf2? jesus. Plus thats an insane amount of hours! I think i agree with your friends.

the fact you play halo 3 makes your opinion invalid... fact
Reply 15
Oooh, he sounds a keeper.

In all seriousness, if you feel that it's getting to you, just talk to him about it.
sunlightxstarbright

Playing online isn't weird. If he ever turns down sex for gaming, though, you've got a weird one on your hands.
Team fortress 2? Its not a bad game, but playing over 30 hours of it a week sounds horrible
Reply 18
sunlightxstarbright

What DIV and team is he in? Cause i'll tell you if he is terrible or not.
omegaweapon1987
the fact you play halo 3 makes your opinion invalid... fact

Your name is omegaweapon and you have a "ps3trophycard" in your sig...i don't even need to say anything else.

Latest

Trending

Trending