The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hrrmm.i think u missed on a joke.
greenforce
hrrmm.i think u missed on a joke.

I thought you meant that prenups were stupid since divorce shouldn't be a possibility when you got married?
na..i think there shud be an agreement.but not giving anything to the girl after marriage aint rite.
Reply 223
Muffinz
A prenup suggests that you're going to divorce. It predicts it. If you go into a marriage predicting that it'll fail, why are you getting married?

You don't count on dying yet you still get life insurance. You don't know if someone will burgle your house yet you still get contents insurance. You don't know your house is going to fall down yet you still get housing insurance. You don't know your going to get sick abroad yet you still get travel insurance.

Why should marriage be any different? You can't control what the other person will do. Suppose they want a divorce?

I would want a prenuptial agreement, but it would be staggered. It would limit my wifes claim, but as time went on that limit would decrease, eventually equaling half my assets.
Reply 224
Ewan
Why should marriage be any different? You can't control what the other person will do. Suppose they want a divorce?

If you're not 100%, you shouldn't be getting married. People live together happily without getting married all the time and have done for centuries.
Reply 225
Not sure if its been said but they aren't legally binding the the UK so there would be no point
Reply 226
Notker
The general trend is that men make more money than women (sorry 'womyn'), more aggressively pursue promotions and high earning jobs, and are more likely to be in high up positions, then add to that that women generally skive off of work to look after children and generally her overall earning will be comparatively low. Men get raped in divorce courts, women do not. Divorce is generally quite profitable for women; it rarely is for men. There's your answer, now cut the PC bull**** - you know that this is usually true.

As for the original Q: I wouldn't get married at all - it's very foolish for a man, but if I did I'd get a pre-nup and if she didn't like it then no marriage.

Ouch. That's a bit nasty of you, isn't it?

Anyway, I don't think I'd ever be too bothered. I certainly don't expect to be earning so much to the point where I'd need to protect it from my husband. My sister earns quite the packet (more than her SO, that's for sure, as well as property, etc), and I think she will get him to when they marry. He doesn't seem too fussed, mainly for the fact that he's not exactly poverty-stricken or money hungry.

Depends on the situation. I think it's a bit silly if you don't have a lot to lose.
Reply 227
Muffinz
If you're not 100%, you shouldn't be getting married. People live together happily without getting married all the time and have done for centuries.

You are 100%, but you can't guarantee you will feel that way for the rest of your life. You certainly can't guarantee your partner will.

By your logic no one should ever get married. No one knows how they will feel 20 years from now. Marriage is not only important to show commitment, but also to protect each other. When you have children and you or your partner quits their job you wouldn't want to be left with nothing in a divorce.

What if the other person is deceiving you and is only marrying you for your money?
Reply 228
Ewan
You are 100%, but you can't guarantee you will feel that way for the rest of your life. You certainly can't guarantee your partner will.

By your logic no one should ever get married. No one knows how they will feel 20 years from now. Marriage is not only important to show commitment, but also to protect each other. When you have children and you or your partner quits their job you wouldn't want to be left with nothing in a divorce.

What's wrong with not getting married? I've said this over and over: people should enter into a marriage they're sure of and will absolutely commit themselves to. I don't think people should jump into a marriage unless they're 100% sure they will always commit themselves to it, no matter what. Hence the vows: "love eachother in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live".
Reply 229
Muffinz
What's wrong with not getting married? I've said this over and over: people should enter into a marriage they're sure of and will absolutely commit themselves to. I don't think people should jump into a marriage unless they're 100% sure they will always commit themselves to it, no matter what. Hence the vows: "love eachother in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live".

:facepalm: That's impossible. Besides, how can you expect your partner to hold your idealistic viewpoint, how do you know they aren't deceiving you?
Reply 230
Ewan
:facepalm: That's impossible. Besides, how can you expect your partner to hold your idealistic viewpoint, how do you know they aren't deceiving you?

I'd like to think that the person who wanted to get married would trust their partner enough to tell them the truth. Should they really be getting married?

I'm not going to change my opinion.
Cortez
Maybe that was before Radmacher v Granatino (was in 2009, not sure when exactly)?

The wife appealed and the Court of Appeal took more notice of the pre-nup than in the original case and significantly reduced the amount awarded to the ex-husband. One of the judges in that case said "it was becoming “increasingly unrealistic” for courts to disregard pre-nups".

Jeez what a U turn! Thanks for that :smile: xx
llys
Why though? (Not dissing your opinion, just curious about your reasoning.)

I think it's a completely different matter because I don't ask someone to regularly go for an STD test is not so that I know they're not cheating on me but for THEIR personal health and wellbeing. STD tests do not only detect STDs but also cancers.
When you get married divorce shouldnt be one of those things you think about your spose to be looking on the brighter side of things, id be very insulted if that was asked of me but i can see the point being said. I personally have been marrages failed but everyone keeping what they own because its been a nicely settled divorce meaning nobody gets screwed.
Reply 234
Playboy King
If you were to be getting married with a guy but he asked you to agree to a prenuptial agreement (which is like an official contract) that states you're not entitled to any of his wealth, property, assets etc. in the event of a divorce...would you accept?

So if a divorce does happen, you will get absolutely nothing that isn't yours (if property mortgages are in both of your names and you've each contributed to it then that's divided) but otherwise what's his remains his and what's your remains yours.

Also, question for the guys...would you consider a prenuptial agreement to protect your money or are you okay with them ripping off your balls through your wallet with a divorce?

EDIT: could be other way around with women having more wealth, I'm just going with the general trend though and it's usually the woman getting the money rather than giving it in most cases.

I'd be a little worried that he was concerned about our divorce before we got married, at the same time, I understand the need to be sensible and look after your assets so yeah I'd agree, I'd marry for love, not to steal all his money..
my husband and I got a pre-nup before we got married, but it's not a legally binding thing in this country anyway. Not like it is in America. Over here, in the event of a divorce, the pre-nup would be taken into consideration but not guaranteed to be adhered to.
Playboy King
a prenuptial agreement (which is like an official contract)

:nah:

I think it would depend on the hypothetical situation whether I (female) would consider signing one or not - if we were much older and weren't going to have children (which will have a detrimental impact on my career) then maybe... but as it is (getting married this year :biggrin: ) I don't think it's appropriate.
Fjarskafinn
If I was asked to sign something like that before getting married I'd be concerned about whether the guy was fully committed, to be honest. I'd be quite hurt by the idea that "this marriage couldn't last and what's mine is mine, biatch".

:ditto:

I'm not saying I wouldn't have some money kept aside just incase suddenly they turn into a crazy axe murderer and I need to run away.. prepare yourself for the worst and all :wink:
Reply 238
La Môme
Ouch. That's a bit nasty of you, isn't it?

It's entirely true though.

Latest

Trending

Trending