The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think this topic was on the BBC 2 lunchtime talk show a couple of years back.
Can't remember what was concluded from it.
I'm a girl, so probably not of help to the OP. However, my view is that sharing a bed can be pretty horrific, so I understand the impulse.

It's divine at first, with the snuggling bit and the sleepy-sex in the mornings (mmmm! I hope this is not just me...) but then when you actually want to sleep - no chance. Snoring, elbows, lack of covers, rolling over in the night, too hot, too cold, ending up being trapped by an arm. The litany of woes goes on. And personally, I'm an irritated headcase on two hours sleep.

It really seems perfectly reasonable to me to want your own space and to value a decent night's sleep over sentimental ideas about cohabiting. As long as your boyfriend realises it's not because you find him physically repulsive, are unwilling to have sex with him, or are planning on shutting yourself up in your room - I don't think he would object?
Reply 22
I'm a girl but my boyfriend and I live together and have separate rooms. Generally we sleep together about half the time. It works fairly well if we're doing different things in the evening and want to go to bed at different times. Also it's a spare bed. Seriously I think separate rooms is a fantastic idea, especially if you're at uni because then you get your own space to study in.
Reply 23
well i think everyone likes their space. I remember when i had to share a single bed with my Ex for 10 solid weeks, and it wasnt even a full size bed. That was hell...
Tbh if my boyfriend wanted to sleep in his own bed rather than share with me, I'd be a bit offended.
Reply 25
I can understand that. You both need your own space. If you feel like you want your own bed I think you should talk to him about him. Explain its a space issue and you still have every intention of spending the night with him sometimes.
Reply 26
So you'd have 2 single beds in one room? isn't that a bit 'un-couply'? Thats one of the best things about living with your bf, that you always have him there to cuddle at night! I think its a bit sad if you live together but don't share a bed :frown:
Reply 27
If you explain why I don't think it should be a problem, inless he's insecure or so and thinks it's to do with him :p:
Draculara
So you'd have 2 single beds in one room? isn't that a bit 'un-couply'? Thats one of the best things about living with your bf, that you always have him there to cuddle at night! I think its a bit sad if you live together but don't share a bed :frown:

No, I want my seperate room too. I can still cuddle with him, and then when he starts snoring and moving around...i can dip and go to my own room and my own sweeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttt bed.
Draculara

Erm she still will, since they'll be living together and all. :s-smilie:

Sleep and cuddles don't mix at all, for some of us.
ali898
If you explain why I don't think it should be a problem, inless he's insecure or so and thinks it's to do with him :p:

My ex slept over once and i couldnt take his farting anymore so i went to sleep on the couch, the next morning he was so angry.
Reply 31
Draculara

This - I share a single bed with my bf most nights! But I find I sleep so much easier with him than without :smile:
Pink Bullets
Erm she still will, since they'll be living together and all. :s-smilie:

Sleep and cuddles don't mix at all, for some of us.

Word - It's hard to sleep when you are treated like an oversized teddybear.

OP, just talk to him to him about it, you're not being unreasonable - it's just sharing a bed is kinda expected. I would love it if I moved in with a girl who wanted seperate beds, but I would still feel better knowing why - and knowing why would make it easier to figure out when you're both up for sharing a bed and lead to less awkward moments (if any).

Latest

Trending

Trending