The Student Room Group

What exactly are the benefits of the special support grant as opposed to the maintena

What exactly are the benefits of the special support grant as opposed to the maintenance grant? :confused:

Hi there,

I am a single mum with 2 children on income support due to start university in September.

On my financial notification, they have put maintenance grant not special support grant.

Im wondering whether i should go through the hassel of changing this, the amount of money are both similar. I'm wondering what exactly is the benefit of special support grant as opposed to the maintenance grant and is it it really in my interest to change this?

Would be great if anybody could answer this. :smile:
Reply 1
Your loan doesn't get reduced by your grant with the special support grant, while it is somewhat reduced with the maintenance grant.
Reply 2
it means you'll have more money as you can get a bigger loan with the special support grant because the maintenance grant reduces the loan amount.
Reply 3
PJ991
it means you'll have more money as you can get a bigger loan with the special support grant because the maintenance grant reduces the loan amount.

Yeah, you get maximum loan. It's also ignored for benefits purposes too.
Reply 4
Titch89
Yeah, you get maximum loan. It's also ignored for benefits purposes too.

ahhh now it all make sense :smile:

thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending