The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lolicon
I'm 19 and I'm quite good. I think a lot of League 1 players are really not that good, and I personally think I'm better than a few PL players too. So how come it's so hard to become a pro, yet we have so many ****** players in the PL and other leagues? I'm definitely better than half of crystal palace's team...

Simple fact of the matter is that you are too old now to get noticed by any league team- you have to start young these days.
Your better?

How do you know without playing against them?

If you played in a decent league and were good you would have been scouted.
Speaking as a coach I can say that without coaching from a young age you are VERY likely to be off the mark. I was working with Tottenham's U9 coach earlier and he was saying that was true of one kid who's 8. So 11 years later the differences will be greater.

If you're not trolling and serious though I recommend you get out there and show the world what you've got. Play for a team. I dont think anyone should put your dream down.
Reply 4
'Quite good' won't cut it in professional football.
Reply 5
Lolicon
I'm 19 and I'm quite good. I think a lot of League 1 players are really not that good, and I personally think I'm better than a few PL players too. So how come it's so hard to become a pro, yet we have so many ****** players in the PL and other leagues? I'm definitely better than half of crystal palace's team...

No, you're too old to get scouted and picked out now. Most, if not all, professionals get picked when they're like ten or eleven and are trained up from then and then go on to be professionals.
illusionz
'Quite good' won't cut it in professional football.

I'm sorry but there are a large amount of professional players who are genuinely bad at football. The reason they are professional is because they can run like blazes for 90 minutes a game and not get tired. Only the top players are both fit and skillfull, while most are fit and "adequate".
Reply 7
ziedj
I'm sorry but there are a large amount of professional players who are genuinely bad at football. The reason they are professional is because they can run like blazes for 90 minutes a game and not get tired. Only the top players are both fit and skillfull, while most are fit and "adequate".

That's really not true.
Reply 8
Without his exceptional physique Emile Heskey would struggle to make it in League 2....I mean, I watched Brentford for a season and there were a lot of very average players. So have a go! Find trial days. Look for your local Sunday club. Ian Wright didn't play EPL until 22...and look at DJ Campbell....
ziedj

Even semi pro players will be the best players, technically, in a game of park football. In fact they'll likely be the best in the park.

Pro footballers are incredibly good.
Duckzilla
No, you're too old to get scouted and picked out now. Most, if not all, professionals get picked when they're like ten or eleven and are trained up from then and then go on to be professionals.

No, don't listen to him. I know a kid man who's 19, and has trialled for Newcastle reserves, and this summer is signing for Northampton. He chose N'ton over Gillingham.

If you've got the skill, go out there and get noticed. Good luck mate!
Phonicsdude
Even semi pro players will be the best players, technically, in a game of park football. In fact they'll likely be the best in the park.

I'm not talking about park football. And no, there are plenty of professional players who aren't that skilful, and will admit to that themselves (I'm talking, league 1 standard), but they can "adequately" do their job, hold the ball, make simple passes, and most importantly, not get tired when they've covered 10km in the first half.
No you have to be in football since you were like 7, but in saying that Danny Agger became a pro at 20 and joined Liverpool at 21, so it can be done.
Reply 13
KingMessi
Without his exceptional physique Emile Heskey would struggle to make it in League 2....I mean, I watched Brentford for a season and there were a lot of very average players. So have a go! Find trial days. Look for your local Sunday club. Ian Wright didn't play EPL until 22...and look at DJ Campbell....

Thanks for this!
Reply 14
maximusbarr
No you have to be in football since you were like 7, but in saying that Danny Agger became a pro at 20 and joined Liverpool at 21, so it can be done.

lukaku just turned 17 a couple of weeks ago and hes the top goalscorer in the belgium league
ziedj
I'm not talking about park football. And no, there are plenty of professional players who aren't that skilful, and will admit to that themselves (I'm talking, league 1 standard), but they can "adequately" do their job, hold the ball, make simple passes, and most importantly, not get tired when they've covered 10km in the first half.

Who are you comparing them to? Sure maybe their peers. If your point is very simply some players make up for a slight lack of skill with strong physical attribute.. then you are right.

If you are making absolute statements like "they're not very good" or as someone (not sure if it was you) said "Heskey would be several leagues further down without his physique", then you are wrong.
all the people who are saying you have to get scouted when you're young are totally wrong.

My brother is a professional footballer so i know a thing or two about how things work. Yes, it's more difficult to get picked up or get a trial at your age but it's not impossible by any means. my brother was playing non-league football until he was 18 and then got picked up by the club he's playing at now (in league 1).

start at non-league teams.. send your football CV off to teams in the blue square. people will tell you this doesn't work, but it often does. have you played for any half decent teams, have you played county/national school-boy football?
Phonicsdude

Meh, John Obi Mikel has very average technique, players like Glenn Poole who used to be at Brentford has better technique.
cowleya
No, don't listen to him. I know a kid man who's 19, and has trialled for Newcastle reserves, and this summer is signing for Northampton. He chose N'ton over Gillingham.

If you've got the skill, go out there and get noticed. Good luck mate!

Newcastle reserves is a strong level.
KingMessi
Meh, John Obi Mikel has very average technique, players like Glenn Poole who used to be at Brentford has better technique.

Mikel plays with and against the best players nationally and internationally. Compared to them his technique might not stand out but he will still be substantially better than Poole who plays in League 1.

Latest