The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Friends have the outside perspective. So take their views into account, in fact with the more insightful ones, take their opinion over your own (after giving it some though)
Very dependant on situation. If its a personal problem that a friend has with a gf/bf then thats their problem to sort out. If however it is affecting you and is likely to cause you problems and friends tell you about it then listening to them could be a good idea.
Reply 3
i would NEVER listen to friends/fam when it comes to relationships. my life. my choice.
Dear God no.

The amount of inane crap I've heard girls friends talk about. 'DUMMPP THE BASTAAD!! KIIL HIIIM! SLEEP WITH HIS BROTHER!' :woo:

Make a sensible and well balanced judgement on your own, with the retrospect of knowing what your friends' opinions are. Nothing more, nothing less.
Reply 5
My situation is that I don't think my friends will ever accept it if me and my ex ever give things another go.

I understand that they have seen me hurt and upset and they don't want me to go through that again and honestly I don't think I would ever go back if I thought there was a chance of me being that hurt again and if it did, well I wouldn't be as terrified as losing him as I was previously and I would get out straight away. But I find it difficult to respect their opinions when they have some pretty messed up relationships of their own. Should I therefore only listen to the opinions of friends who have what I would deem as loving and decent relationships?
I know what your saying. Its a fine line between what friends would say and what makes me happy, one which I have not fully grasped yet..
This thread title reminds me of sex and the city. All it lacks is an achingly awful pun.

'Listening to Miranda, I thought about how Big and she really aren't that different. Later that night, I couldn't help but wonder: when it comes to relationships, should we listen to our friends?'

I listen to my friends but I don't necessarily do everything they say.
To an extent, yes. I wouldn't want to go out with someone if it caused me to lose my friends.
I listen to mine up to an extent.

I generally trust them because they know me so well and they know
if I'll regret doing something.

But in relationships the only people who really know what's going on is the people involved,
so sometimes it's worth taking a risk.
Reply 10
I swear in my experience girls chat the most **** when giving advice to each other and to men. I listen to their views but take it with a pinch of salt and think about what motives they have behind giving me advice for example if my boy tells me to dump her I'll be thinking "is he saying that so he can go out with me pulling chicks like the good ol' days?".

I listen to my older familia (male close to my age but wiser and more experienced) more than anyone else tbh.
Reply 11
I would listen to friends who want to give advice without you asking. That is often the most important and truthful (so long as they don't have a crush on that person)
Reply 12
Ok then, how about parents? If a parent doesn't like a boyfriend or girlfriend for good reasons should we listen?
Reply 13
Aquamarine.
Ok then, how about parents? If a parent doesn't like a boyfriend or girlfriend for good reasons should we listen?

If you're a girl take what your Dad says with a pinch of salt.

Latest

Trending

Trending