The Student Room Group

Feel bad when parents spend money on me..

My parents spend soooo much money on me. I'm reaaaaaally high maintenance - private education, clothes, make up, singing/dance/drama lessons, holidays, nights out with friends..
Recently they've agreed to fund my summer trip to Peru for 2 weeks for work experience - which is £2000. This has already been confirmed and paid for, and at the time, I thought it'd only come to £1000, but with flights/food inc. it came to £2000. I just feel so bad.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but both my parents come from really 'poor' backgrounds, and have had to work their way to the top, which makes it worse because I feel like they never had this luxury when they were kids - infact, they both had the opposite.

Is this normal?

Scroll to see replies

Meh, if they can afford to, fair play.
Stop feeling bad about yourself. With the stuff your getting, people die for it. Just don't be selfish. And enjoy every single minute of what you're getting. Oh and be generous :smile:
Reply 3
WTF your parents owe you! They didn't even bother consulting you before having you.
I know what you mean ,I sometimes feel a little bit guilty but I try to pay them back by making them proud of me and not letting them down.
Reply 5
Honestly, I'd feel equally bad. Just make sure you sort of 'pay' them back. Like you know, pull your weight around the house and stuff.

Doesn't seem like your parents are undergoing hard times. But if it becomes apparent...maybe cut down on your demands?
Reply 6
If they have the money...

Just pay them back with when they're really old and sitting on rocking chairs etc

:h:
duskflower

I don't know if this makes a difference, but both my parents come from really 'poor' backgrounds, and have had to work their way to the top, which makes it worse because I feel like they never had this luxury when they were kids - infact, they both had the opposite.

Is this normal?

They obviously feel they don't want their child growing up with the same experiences they did. Just be happy for it, as long as it's not putting your parents at risk why worry?
well aint you the lucky one...
are you an only child? :smile:

I think a lot of loving parents enjoy splashing out on their kids, its something i can see myself doing if i ever become a parent. i don't think there's anything wrong with it per se, in the end what's the point in earning money if you're just going to go scrooge and not better your family.
Reply 10
Maybe get a job as at least a token gesture of your independence? I know a few rich kids who will never have to worry about money, even if they end up in a **** job their daddy will be there to the rescue. It makes me laugh that my mate had a 13 k car bought for him (as well as 13k a year insurance) and then he thinks he is independent because he has a job.
I joke with my parents.

They shell out a fortune now...

... and I might just pay out for their old folks home.
I feel like this too - but majorly because my dad is refusing to let me get a loan for uni and is paying my whole way through (providing it doesn't become much more expensive :s-smilie:) I am so grateful, but at the same time I feel soo guilty. He's working hard and doesn't even get to see a bit of it. It's not even like I can say I'm going to uni and so I'll come out with an amazing job at the end of it and buy him an amazing car because he has the 2 cars of his dreams (although I suppose he would quite like an Aston Martin lol), but I want to be in education for a loooong time. Like I want to do a Masters and PHD and become a lecturer and researcher and maybe even a freelance journalist. So it's not like I'll be making much money for a veeryyyy long time. I just hope that I can do the same for my parents when they're old and send them to like the nicest old people's home in the country or something! I completely understand why you feel guilty OP.
Reply 13
..then instead of feeling guilty..you make sure to give them something back... not necessarily in terms of money.. but love, respect, gratitude... =))
I used to feel the same, although I'm pretty low-maintanence in terms of material desires, until something occured: my parents wanted to spend money on me.

We all come from small families (my father had just his mother, my mother has a variety of estranged relatives and I have both of those plus my parents.) They're pretty much the same as me in terms of materialism, so they didn't want to spend much of their money on themselves ... and for whatever instinctual reason it is that drives us, they saw me as a worthy investment. :wink:
Don't feel guilty about it, your parents probably just want you to have what they didn't when they were young. They want you have opportunities in life and for you to grab them with both hands.
Get a job, you hippie.
Then don't ask for so much.
If you feel bad for them and you know that they come from a poor back ground then then cut off some unnecessary things that you've always done. Like make ups, night outs etc activities that are not essential. It. It will reduce the expenditure
Same here... as the oldest:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending