The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ivan91
Christ, like 10 different people going on and on about my post as if I'm responsible for a machine being inaccurate. Changed my post, cba getting quoted for this ******** again :facepalm:

To put it in perspective 800 calories is cycling at around 20 mph for 1 hour.
Danja123
Im sorry but how does that make sense?

Calories burnt is relative to oxygen consumption....

Greater intensity = Greater oxygen consumption = Greater rate of calories burnt

Walking = Lower oxygen consumption than running

For the sake of an example you burn 5 calories for every litre of oxygen consumed

Running: Oxygen consumption of 5 litres per minute = 25 calories a minute

Walking: Oxygen consumption of 2 litres per minute = 10 calories a minute

You run for 30 minutes and burn 750 calories
Or walk for 75 minutes to burn the same amount of calories?

So which one burns more calories, running or walking?

Apologies if this seems abit abrupt but your going to do a biological sciences degree and your going against an important biological process!

I know, it's odd isn't it, but my lecturer said there is apparently a well known experiment that took a set of twins to test the theory. One ran a 4 mile track, the other speed walked. Of course the runner finished first but when all the results were in, it showed that the speed walker had burnt nearly twice as many kals as the runner. They came to conculsion that distance and speed were not relevent to the amount of kals burnt, but it was in fact the time spent which was the factor. So based on that theory, 1 hour of running shouldn't burn any more kals then speed walking, so a 1 hour run wouldn't be effective as a 1 1/2 speed walk.......... hey I just listen to the lecturer, hes been right so far
Reply 62
I walk every day one a hours I'm 62 old
And my weight is 64 kg and I'm diabetic pate 2
Original post by Aberkane
I walk every day one a hours I'm 62 old
And my weight is 64 kg and I'm diabetic pate 2

You may want to check the date of this thread. It's 7 years old.
I think at 5ft 8inch and size 12 is perfect. Accept you are healthy and probably look better at that size than a ten. I'm sure you are nice and toned . Been too thin doesn't look good. A healthy weight will make you glow .
Original post by _charley_
So ive been a treadmill everyday for nearly 3 weeks for 20 minutes burning 200 calories at a time. I've cut down on my eating, i don't eat over my calorie limit, im female by the way, i have also cut down on my drinking. Yet i have lost no weight :frown:. I don't actually need to loose weight as my BMI is fine ..im 5ft8 and weigh exactly 10 stone. But i used to be a perfect size 10 but after a yeat at uni i am now a 12 but want to get back to my size 10! was just wondering what mroe i can do? or whethyer to just keep going and then i will see results? thanks

Running activates muscle, you could be gaining muscle in your legs while dropping body fat %.

Also remember water weight dramatically skews what the scale reads. Always weigh yourself on the same day every week on a totally empty stomach when you first wake up, do not drink any water.

Your body weight might be too low though I don't know what normal for a woman is. Try gaining muscle mass. As a woman, put almost all of it into your lower body. You will gain muscle mass while stripping fat at the same time as a new lifter if you're at maintenance (IIRC it's maintenance or even slightly lower than maintenance you can do it).

Because you are gaining muscle your metabolism is unlikely to be affected much, which means you won't have to further drop calories.

Include stomach vacuums in your workout routine.
Original post by RockyDennis
Running activates muscle, you could be gaining muscle in your legs while dropping body fat %.

Also remember water weight dramatically skews what the scale reads. Always weigh yourself on the same day every week on a totally empty stomach when you first wake up, do not drink any water.

Your body weight might be too low though I don't know what normal for a woman is. Try gaining muscle mass. As a woman, put almost all of it into your lower body. You will gain muscle mass while stripping fat at the same time as a new lifter if you're at maintenance (IIRC it's maintenance or even slightly lower than maintenance you can do it).

Because you are gaining muscle your metabolism is unlikely to be affected much, which means you won't have to further drop calories.

Include stomach vacuums in your workout routine.

A few years late...
Weight training gurl!!! Best and fastest way to lose weight and tone up 👌 I was the same as you, basing all my energy into cardio, eating right but not losing weight. I now focus 80% of my workouts on weight training and have lost half a stone and dropped at least one clothing size! X
So ive been a treadmill everyday for nearly 3 weeks for 20 minutes burning 200 calories at a time. I've cut down on my eating, i don't eat over my calorie limit, im female by the way, i have also cut down on my drinking. Yet i have lost no weight :frown:. I don't actually need to loose weight as my BMI is fine ..im 5ft8 and weigh exactly 10 stone. But i used to be a perfect size 10 but after a yeat at uni i am now a 12 but want to get back to my size 10! was just wondering what mroe i can do? or whethyer to just keep going and then i will see results? thanks

Don't focus too much on your actual weight - you may have lost fat but gained a little muscle at the same time, meaning your weight hasn't changed.

Make sure you're getting enough rest, including sleep. If you're experiencing any stress at uni (including stressing about your size!) this can make your body hold on to weight, so try to do some stress relief in whatever works for you (a hot bath, your favourite films, a nice walk, mindfulness practice, drawing, reading, etc.).

You can also eat more calories of healthy foods rather than just simply limiting your calories. 400 calories of cake would be full of fat, but 400 calories of jacket potato and salad would have barely any in comparison. Calories from fat are probably more important than just any calories. However, good fats from nuts and seeds are necessary too.

Good luck
Reply 69
Great advice from SHUGURU. It does sound like your current routine is actually maintaining your current weight. Maybe try increasing the intensity of your run, or extending it by time or distance, this would create a greater calorie deficit. Maybe also try adding or swapping cycling or swimming to your routine, mixing it up a little.

Good luck.
Forget cardio. Get in the weights room and lift weights. Squats, dead lifts, bench press etc you'll lose so much fat as well getting toned.
Reply 71
So ive been a treadmill everyday for nearly 3 weeks for 20 minutes...

Wait.
You've become a treadmill?!

I think you mean "I've been ON a treadmill..."
very funny reading bit this though

Latest