The Student Room Group

Getting same vaccination twice and MMR?

Ok, so need to get a few vaccinations before I'm off to Uni. The two surgeries I have ever been registered at have no record of me having a meningitis C vaccine and there is a record of only one dose of MMR.

I think I may have had one or both of these in primary school but the darn school has kept no records of this.

So, I assume it's safe to have these vaccinations again? And, is a second dose of MMR necessary? My mum is really worried about the whole autism link even though I've tried to explain that there's no proof to back it up!
Reply 1
n_251
Ok, so need to get a few vaccinations before I'm off to Uni. The two surgeries I have ever been registered at have no record of me having a meningitis C vaccine and there is a record of only one dose of MMR.

I think I may have had one or both of these in primary school but the darn school has kept no records of this.

So, I assume it's safe to have these vaccinations again? And, is a second dose of MMR necessary? My mum is really worried about the whole autism link even though I've tried to explain that there's no proof to back it up!

Same happened to me. It's fine, but slightly painful.
Reply 2
n_251

There's no proof whatsoever that the MMR jab can cause autism. It was a silly rumour fueled by a former surgeon who corrupted the evidence. His claims led to less babies getting the MMR jab and more of them getting the diseases it's supposed to protect you against. Even so, you're supposed to have 2 shots of MMR - one when you're young, and a following booster some years later. Many people, for some reason, missed their booster. I didn't have a booster jab and I caught mumps in my first year at uni, so go figure.

Besides, you can't just 'get' autism as an adult. If you're diagnosed with autism you would have had it since birth / very early childhood.

Get the jabs!
I had both and still managed to catch rubella :getmecoat: But it'll be fine. I think I had an extra DPT but ahhh wells :smile: And btw, if you have them at school then there is no record of it at your GPs as it's not organised through your GP, it has nothing to do with them. You should have been given a card telling you the date you had it (I was wrt Men C) but can appreciate you may have lost this.
Reply 4
n_251

Completely completely safe. I had the same problem. I asked the nurse and she said it's absolutely fine to have more than one dose of a vaccine - it won't do you any harm.

Plus I had the MMR and Men C on the same day, and it didn't bother me at all - ie. didn't ache at all.
Reply 5
Thanks for your responses guys! Just got back from getting the two jabs, feels ok! :biggrin:
Reply 6
xXxBaby-BooxXx
I had both and still managed to catch rubella :getmecoat: But it'll be fine. I think I had an extra DPT but ahhh wells :smile: And btw, if you have them at school then there is no record of it at your GPs as it's not organised through your GP, it has nothing to do with them. You should have been given a card telling you the date you had it (I was wrt Men C) but can appreciate you may have lost this.

I called my primary school to see if they had a record of it but they didn't. And, my mother has lost the little red book where all this info is kept! Not that it matters much though!

Latest