The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anonymous

Should I knock on people's doors along my hall and ask them if they want to play with me? :frown:

I wouldn't use those exact words...
Reply 2
Anonymous
I'm a fresher so it seems like me and all the other freshers should be in the same boat, but everyone else already seems to have made groups. How can I make some friends? I'm banking on societies but you can't join till wednesday.
Should I knock on people's doors along my hall and ask them if they want to play with me? :frown:

which uni?

(msg me if you don't want to say on this thread)
And how did they make their groups? By taking the initiative, talking to them, getting to know them etc. Why don't you do that?
And if you're female, PM me and I'll play with you.
(edited 13 years ago)
When did you arrive at uni? I've been here a week now and initially felt soooo down and lonely and miserable and just wanted to go home, but now by keeping my door open and arranging to go out with my flatmates, talking to people I sit next to in lectures/on the bus I don't feel lonely any more. I mean they are not my best friends, yet, but friendships take a long time to create so all the people who are currently hanging round together probably won't be in a few weeks. Keep your chin up, introduce your self to everybody and soon things will fall into place :smile:
Reply 5
SirRamAlot
And how did they make their groups? By taking the initiative, talking to them, getting to know them etc. Why don't you do that?
And if you're female, PM me and I'll play with you.

I'm quite anxious in around large groups of people I don't know so maybe I'm not like them:dontknow:

Not female...lol.

ah..anon fail
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
hardy_4_paws
When did you arrive at uni? I've been here a week now and initially felt soooo down and lonely and miserable and just wanted to go home, but now by keeping my door open and arranging to go out with my flatmates, talking to people I sit next to in lectures/on the bus I don't feel lonely any more. I mean they are not my best friends, yet, but friendships take a long time to create so all the people who are currently hanging round together probably won't be in a few weeks. Keep your chin up, introduce your self to everybody and soon things will fall into place :smile:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right, just being a bit anxious. I feel like that now lol.

Will make an effort, just havent really got the chance.
Bonged.
I'm quite anxious in around large groups of people I don't know so maybe I'm not like them:dontknow:

Not female...lol.

ah..anon fail

Hmm well are there people in smaller groups/still on their own? In lectures too, you could chat to people you sit next to before the lecturer starts talking and stuff...
But yeah if you find it hard to make friends in your course/classes then societies are good too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
SirRamAlot
Hmm well are there people in smaller groups/still on their own? In lectures too, you could chat to people you sit next to before the lecturer starts talking and stuff...
But yeah if you find it hard to make friends in your course/classes then societies are good too.

Lectures haven't started yet, or societies, so that's kind of the problem.

Weird thing is people kept telling me how you would meet all your new flatmates, go get pissed etc, but I'm in a massive block which doesn't feel like it has much community. It's kind of like a hotel.
Reply 9
I feel the same too. Don't get me wrong, my flatmates are lovely people but we just don't click at all, and I can't wait for lectures to start so I can actually get chatting to people on my course.
There is sod bloody all to do here during the day, I can't even go out in central yet as my loan hasn't come through and anyway - most people stay in bed all day nursing their hangovers. I'm so bored.
I'm sure the loneliness will go soon. I have a few people that I'm quite friendly with but by no means are we best mates already.Its just really hard as groups are already forming fast and everyone acts as if they have known each other years!
Reply 10
Anonymous

*knock knock* Hi I'm peter. Will you play with me? :sexface:
Which Uni you at?

Just knock on doors thats what everyone does.
Reply 12
StormXibalba
Which Uni you at?

Just knock on doors thats what everyone does.

Aberystwyth.

Ok, I will, didn't know if people really did that or if I'd look like a nutcase.
Bonged.
Aberystwyth.

Ok, I will, didn't know if people really did that or if I'd look like a nutcase.

If there in your halls just knock on their dors and introduce yourself, its no big deal. I know how nerve racking it can be though, just dont be stuck in your room all week you will regret it.
instead of bein anxious, try not bein anxious. afterall, if its halls yer in, the people youre with will be yer family for the next year. their just people afterall, sentient beins made of flesh and tissue who r ultimately doomed, as is everyone. your only here once so might as well jus take the plunge and make that effort.
.Scout.
I feel the same too. Don't get me wrong, my flatmates are lovely people but we just don't click at all, and I can't wait for lectures to start so I can actually get chatting to people on my course.
There is sod bloody all to do here during the day, I can't even go out in central yet as my loan hasn't come through and anyway - most people stay in bed all day nursing their hangovers. I'm so bored.
I'm sure the loneliness will go soon. I have a few people that I'm quite friendly with but by no means are we best mates already.Its just really hard as groups are already forming fast and everyone acts as if they have known each other years!

This is pretty much me, although I do kinda click with flatmates but they've made closer friendship groups already and I just feel like a tag-along, it sucks :frown: They often leave the flat in the daytime with their friends and I'm stuck here, I don't know what to do!
Reply 16
brian_lawd
instead of bein anxious, try not bein anxious. afterall, if its halls yer in, the people youre with will be yer family for the next year. their just people afterall, sentient beins made of flesh and tissue who r ultimately doomed, as is everyone. your only here once so might as well jus take the plunge and make that effort.

Lol, that's actually an awesome philosophy.
Reply 17
pippa90
This is pretty much me, although I do kinda click with flatmates but they've made closer friendship groups already and I just feel like a tag-along, it sucks :frown: They often leave the flat in the daytime with their friends and I'm stuck here, I don't know what to do!

:hugs: It sucks doesn't it? But I'm sure it will all get better soon :h:
Reply 18
amime
*knock knock* Hi I'm peter. Will you play with me? :sexface:

Hmmm, play with what exactly :unsure:
.Scout.
:hugs: It sucks doesn't it? But I'm sure it will all get better soon :h:

:hugs: :biggrin: Yeahh, I just need to find some people that I can really connect with, not just be polite and friendly to :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending