The Student Room Group

Hating school so much it's making me depressed

It sounds stupid and I don't really even have a good reason but I just hate school so, so much right now. I don't have problems with the workload and I have a small group of friends and I'm not bullied or anything but everyday I just dread it so much and I'd honestly be happier just being home-schooled tbh. I'm in year 12, fairly used to the school and the people, never liked it too much but I don't think I've ever hated it as much as I do now despite the fact that I have good friends now and I'm doing subjects that I'm good at. It's just being there feels like a constant effort. Not in a lazy way, I don't even know how to explain it. I just feel constantly uncomfortable, like I can never relax and be myself and it's utterly exhausting emotionally. Every day when I get back it's like there's a countdown to when I need to be there again and I'm just constantly looking at the clock. I have to wake up at 6am then don't get back until 5pm so it takes up so much of my life.

Recently, I haven't been sleeping to put it off. It sounds crazy...Last night I only got 2 hours sleep. I know it's really bad for me but part of me wants to make myself feel bad/ill...Like some weird, indirect self-harm. My home life has been pretty turbulent lately and I thought it wasn't affecting me, which is kind of weird in itself, but maybe it's manifesting itself like this because even if I didn't like school before, I've never hated it, never dreaded it like I do now.

I really just want to go back to normal. I don't have the motivation for anything anymore. I do as little of my homework as I can because I hate to bring school into my home. I don't feel excited about uni like I used to, or the subject I want to do or anything that used to make me happy. Even the music I used to like doesn't please me anymore. I only really find solace in watching tv series because they just take me out of my own life.

I'm sorry, you'll probably find me pathetic, I know I do, but I hate feeling like this and I don't know how much more I can take. Sorry for the rant, made me feel a bit better though.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this is tl;dr for me but someone should help OP, bumping to assist neglected OPs across the globe

you all remember how much school sucked, get to work
I know how you feel - I hated school, although college was a little more bearable for me. Maybe you're just getting bogged down? It happens to everyone especially at this time of year. Are you struggling with the work/getting low grades?
Reply 3
Sorry too long to read.
But I don't have to because I know exactly how you feel like :hugs:
I'm the same, or I was...I'm feeling a bit better lately because I'm just switching off from it.
Just think you only have one short year left after this and you never have to see anyone/ the school again. Just try to separate your school life from your home life, when you go home, completely switch off from school. Make sure you do and plan a load of things to do with friends so you have something to look forward to throughout the week, and it makes your school life seem more small....

A lot of people feel like this at this time, just think of it was a means to an end, nothing more. It's not part of your life it's just some work you have to do. Look forward to the near future, when you can finally leave the place. I can guarantee that you'll be much happier.
Are you sure it's hating school that's making you depressed? Maybe it's being depressed that's making you hate school? That's a little what it sounds like to me from what you've written, especially the stuff about having no motivation and losing pleasure in everything and things being a constant effort and emotionally exhausting (which would make anyone hate doing anything, tbh). Talking to someone about it will definitely help: if not friends or family members then services at your school or your GP (who I recommend you consider going to anyway).

Also, definitely try to get regular sleep hours as under- and over-sleeping will only make you feel worse. And try to eat well and get exercise and stuff. (I do not do any of these things. :o:)

Oh, and don't feel guilty. If you do think your home life is affecting you it could be beneficial to talk about things with your family (or it could not be!), but definitely do not try to deal with things all by yourself and cut yourself off as you don't need or deserve that. (I also do not take this advice :o:).
I was like this, I advise you to see a therapist, it really helps :smile: xx
I know how you feel, I'm was getting there, sorta going back now though (yr 13 here). It's just a phase, but you need to work, gotta do it now as it's the lesser of 2 evils. Get up a 6 and back at 5ish too.
Personally, I feel like that when I have a lot of stuff to do (got a coursework deadline and assessed practical this week, so feeling a lot like that right now). But trust me, you get through it once your 'to do' list gets shorter.
Also, you should chill with friends, that really helps.
Reply 7
Puberty my son.... Puberty.

If you're in year 12 that means you've got less than 2 years left. Then Uni or work. If it's Uni, you've got something to look forward to. If it's work, get used to being miserable.
Reply 8
Cheer up, you're deffo not pathetic and please don't let yourself think you're depressed? If it makes you feel any better I've been there myself (and I'll bet so have many others), but eventually I managed to pull myself together...as will you I'm sure. :smile:

I swear it's something about year 12 that's just akdhjdhfgrahhD:, just drags on and on and ON. I remember waking up every morning trying to come up with ways to fake sick and stay home from school xD "Mum, I haven't been able to sleep all night, is it ok if I take the day off?" "Mum, I'm having a terrible headache, can I go in late please?" Ah, bless gullible mothers. <3

Uh...so back to the problem at hand. I've found it helps if you organise yourself better, prioritise your homework or just work in general, clean up your desk, catch up on sleep maybe? Work alone at the library if you can't at home. I set a countdown on my facebook page by the end of term 2 and every day gone would make me feel so much better as it meant we're nearing graduation. ;D

...Or you could meet privately with your school counsellor - chances are you'll get better feedback from him/her than you will here :}
Reply 9
It sounds to me like youre not relaxed with the atmosphere and the people you surround yourself with. I had the same problem at a summer course I did a year back.. the first day there i made an effort to be exceptionally bubbly and friendly (maybe i was just in a real good mood the day haha), but for the next couple of weeks, it was a huge emotional effort to keep up that persona and to stick with the friends i had made. Maybe this is the issue...?
This is exactly how I feel. The Christmas holidays have just ended and I need to sleep but I just can't because I know it will be time for school as soon as I wake up. I've always felt this way. School is like jail for me, I can never be myself, you're constantly locked up for 6 or so hours, then you have to do it all again the next day. I've self-harmed because of school. I don't know why I hate it so much, I don't get bullied but I hate my group of friends, I only have one true friend. I never do homework because I hate bringing school into my home. I just want to be free. I don't see the point in doing something that depresses you so much. Aren't you supposed to do what you want in life and have fun? Well school is the exact opposite for me. When we have a little break from school (summer, christmas), a few nights before school I can't eat, sleep properly and I just feel so depressed. I don't know why. I'm constantly being told that I need to do well in my grades, and I'm just sick of trying. I'm exhausted, I've been at school for 12 years (I'm year 11) and this year has been the toughest with all of the mock exams and preperation for the real ones. I probably sound pathetic too, but I just need to let this out because I'm too embarrassed to tell anyone I know because they'll think I'm stupid. I just don't see the point in doing something when it depresses you so much.
I thought I was the only one :rolleyes:. Everything that you said is exactly like my situation, Im in year 12 btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
It sounds stupid and I don't really even have a good reason but I just hate school so, so much right now. I don't have problems with the workload and I have a small group of friends and I'm not bullied or anything but everyday I just dread it so much and I'd honestly be happier just being home-schooled tbh. I'm in year 12, fairly used to the school and the people, never liked it too much but I don't think I've ever hated it as much as I do now despite the fact that I have good friends now and I'm doing subjects that I'm good at. It's just being there feels like a constant effort. Not in a lazy way, I don't even know how to explain it. I just feel constantly uncomfortable, like I can never relax and be myself and it's utterly exhausting emotionally. Every day when I get back it's like there's a countdown to when I need to be there again and I'm just constantly looking at the clock. I have to wake up at 6am then don't get back until 5pm so it takes up so much of my life.

Recently, I haven't been sleeping to put it off. It sounds crazy...Last night I only got 2 hours sleep. I know it's really bad for me but part of me wants to make myself feel bad/ill...Like some weird, indirect self-harm. My home life has been pretty turbulent lately and I thought it wasn't affecting me, which is kind of weird in itself, but maybe it's manifesting itself like this because even if I didn't like school before, I've never hated it, never dreaded it like I do now.

I really just want to go back to normal. I don't have the motivation for anything anymore. I do as little of my homework as I can because I hate to bring school into my home. I don't feel excited about uni like I used to, or the subject I want to do or anything that used to make me happy. Even the music I used to like doesn't please me anymore. I only really find solace in watching tv series because they just take me out of my own life.

I'm sorry, you'll probably find me pathetic, I know I do, but I hate feeling like this and I don't know how much more I can take. Sorry for the rant, made me feel a bit better though.

Please, please go to a therapist now. I had exactly the same feelings as you and it turned out I had moderately severe depression and severe anxiety. I only started to admit this to myself a year and a half later and things would have been much, much better if I'd sorted it out sooner. I know how some people will say 'oh yeah I hate school too' but there's a difference between that and feeling completely unmotivated to do any work, not feeling happy, not enjoying any aspect of school. I know exactly what you mean about TV series because I used to spend until the early hours going through entire series. Please, I am asking you as someone who knows how horrible it is, please go and see a private counsellor, if only for one session, or go to your GP. This needs to be taken seriously.
hi i have the exact same problem and im in yr8 all ur emotions and ur thought about hating scl for no reason and about wanting urself to be ill i understand because i was like this for 5 months

its understandable and now i hv 2 weeks hldy of schl and im worried and depresed about going back to school remember 'no one makes a lovk without a key. thats why god wont give you problems without solutions another quote
'stop focusing on how stressed u r remember how blesses u r'

tell ur friends how u feel and that u need their support the most. U r not alone i hve been through this phase snd so hve many ppl just believe in god thx
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous

Winners are too busy to be sad,
too positive to be doubtful,
too optimistic to be fearful,
and too determined to be defeated.
I couldn't have said this any better than you just have, I feel exactly the same. It was almost like I was reading my own thoughts. It's hard to explain to my parents how I'm feeling because they are just trying to help me get the best grades as I can but I just feel like I've been stuck in a dream the past year and reality has only just hit me and I'm trying my hardest to get out of this dream but I can't quite wake myself up.
how did you get through it? Im only in year 10 and i feel exactly like what you described...I have kinda a low attendance (around 85% and over) and my parents think that how i feel is the same for everybody
(edited 7 years ago)
I dont like it too, and knowing its just leading up to a good or bad future makes it worse. I have a friendship group but for me to maintain that is a struggle as they constantly want me to be happy and funny. but sometimes im just to down to do that so i just sit silently and they don't even care. i had a crush at one . point which lasted 2 years, thats what kept me motivated but now i know it wont happen has made me even more depressed. i struggle at every lesson and i am so bad in textiles it made my cry (outside of school) and at the start of the year i asked to move that class but they never replied..the only thing i can do is art, which i'm near the top of. BUT apparently that is not a job and you can earn little to none in so thats great. all my friends are better at everything than me and when they talk about tests or other classes it just makes me upset because it reminds me of all the bad times ive had in those walls. It makes me so upset i often think i cant get passed school and the best thing for me to do is to just die. i mean. Thats good for the school no having to worry about the bad grades going on their board. and it will end my suffering. now i know thiss sounds depressing but trust me. Its worse. and incase you actually care. im just going into year 10 (i'm 14)
Soz for bumping but I feel the same way atm OP and I'm in the same year (although I realise now at the time of posting this comment you've probably moved on and you're like 22/23 now) I honestly just cant see the light at the end of the tunnel 11-18 education is crap, best years of my life, heh, not for me!
dont find it pathetic you are you , and i dont know you but i can all ready tell that ur lovely , and loads of people love you x

Latest

Trending

Trending