The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
They aren't weird!

Well I never get them...

(Although having said that, I can be a bit thick at times when it comes to logic :colondollar: :sad:)
Original post by lemontang1
No need to be scared...im just saying that once youve gone through the process once you know so much more about it and are mmore likely to get a place if u apply again. I think its around 60% of medicine applicants get 4 rejections. Im not saying that you will get rejected, but there is a possibility. Xx

Wow, so what happens to that 60% then? Because I heard that you can apply for medicine only a certain amount of times until its over.
Original post by thegodofgod
Well I never get them...

(Although having said that, I can be a bit thick at times when it comes to logic :colondollar: :sad:)

They aren't really logical. More products of my fevered brain.
Reply 2283
What from A-level to medicine or GCSE to A-level?

The former isn't that much of an increase in difficulty, but is a significant increase in volume. You have so much new knowledge thrown at you every day that it can easily overwhelm you :redface: I find I have to do 2-3 hours a night to cement things.

I meant the first :smile: I'm in lower 6th currently.

Okay thanks!
Reply 2284
No need to be scared...im just saying that once youve gone through the process once you know so much more about it and are mmore likely to get a place if u apply again. I think its around 60% of medicine applicants get 4 rejections. Im not saying that you will get rejected, but there is a possibility. Xx

What? Where did you get that figure from, it's huge! :eek:
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Wow, so what happens to that 60% then? Because I heard that you can apply for medicine only a certain amount of times until its over.

Some do other degrees, then medicine...I think alot just give up on medicine (alot have from my school)...some reapply again and again...Dont think theres any limit on the number of times you can apply, I know someone whos applied for 3 years and has eventually got a place this year. Xx
Original post by liviaaa

Someone told it me it (they did tell me where theyd got it from, but ive forgotten) and its been said on a couple of other threads before from reputable sources. I didnt realise it was that huge when I applied, it made me very nervous. But if you think about it at some unis the competition is like 15 people for every place, so some people have gotta be disapointed. Xx
I heard it was worse than 60%, most universities have greater than 10:1 applicant to place ratios now...
Original post by thegodofgod
Well I never get them...

better sort that for the UKCAT brah

yes I did just say brah
Original post by liviaaa
I went to Robinwood in year 6! Haha, I remember being the last person to cross the "piranha" pool, and I ended up crying as I stood by myself not wanting to cross back. :') I'm guessing your school went too?

Awwww, bless you! Yeah, we went, I loved Piranha Pool but the hot choc we got every night was the best bit. :colone:
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
I hate year 11s too :redface: I try not to think about them too much.

Yeah during this holiday I just thought "that's it! I need a break! I'm having a gap year!" And medicine is intense for life so if I don't have a little break in the middle I might turn doolally tap :biggrin:

Never heard of the school trip escape thing before, but yeah I want to apply for a part time job in the hospital as a phlebotomist or just volunteer in the hospital.

Those type of jobs are part time aren't they? Yeah I do get scared thinking I will be trapped in the part time job I do for life :eek: but I know I want to go to university so no part time job is gonna stop me!

I looked at these sites when I was contemplating a gap year:
http://www.gapyearprograms.net/
http://www.gapyear.com/
http://www.yomps.co.uk/

Those gave me the idea to go abroad for a few weeks. I've read, that quite a few people who take gap years before studying medicine go abroad and teach english or work for charities.

Alright then, what universities do you have in mind?

But there would be so many now Y11s if we deferred. :afraid:

Haha, exactly. I thought that as well but then I think of the other aspects of uni and I'm like "I just wanna go to uniiiii!"

They can but I think they can also be full time. I guess I would opt for part time though if I did get a job. You're right, part time job shouldn't (and prob wouldn't) hold me/us back but it's so easy to get caught up in routine and life!

Oh, cool, thanks, I'll take a look at those sites. :smile: The thing about gap years and working for charity is that some people question whether it actually benefits people at all and I'd rather do something that I know makes a difference. :dontknow:

Ideally Manc, Glasgow, UEA and Liverpool but applying for med school ain't ideal so I guess I'll play to my strengths closer to the time. :p: What about you?
Original post by liviaaa

I've heard that a lot of the time people don't get places because they don't apply to their strengths... be careful with that, play to your strengths, give it your all and it'll all work out. :smile:
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I've heard that a lot of the time people don't get places because they don't apply to their strengths... be careful with that, play to your strengths, give it your all and it'll all work out. :smile:

Yh thats so true...if youve got 8A* i would definately apply to birmingham....theres a huge chance of getting an interview and then once youve got an interview there like a 90% chance of getting an offer. Xx

Indeed. Research now will pay off.
Yh thats so true...if youve got 8A* i would definately apply to birmingham....theres a huge chance of getting an interview and then once youve got an interview there like a 90% chance of getting an offer. Xx

Although it's worth mentioning that they look at the application more holistically now... some people with 8A*s have offers and people with 10 have had pre-interview rejections. But as a general rule, that's prob true. :smile:
Indeed. Research now will pay off.

And we're lucky enough to have yours truly helping us out with that stuff. :colondollar:
Original post by Normandy114
I heard it was worse than 60%, most universities have greater than 10:1 applicant to place ratios now...

Most places do, but applying to more than one medical school does increase your chances.
And we're lucky enough to have yours truly helping us out with that stuff. :colondollar:

:cool:
:cool:

:crown:

Whoever gets in to Aberdeen from here totally owes you a drink from us all. :p:
:crown:

Whoever gets in to Aberdeen from here totally owes you a drink from us all. :p:

Yeah, yeah ok :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending