The Student Room Group

What should I choose as my firm choice, Sheffield Hallam or Birmingham City Uni?

Whats better, and for both Uni's the course i've applied for is Diagnostic Radiography. Thanks
Makes no difference; which one do you like the most?
Reply 2
bham as im from here :tongue:
Reply 3
if you prefer bham then go to bham!
Reply 4
Birmingham is the place to be right now for students!Also BCU will be better for Graduate Prospect wise compared to Sheffield Hallam.
Reply 5
I do Dia Rad at BCU.

We're moving to the City south Campus in Edgbaston next near, as the new skills suite has just opened. Cost around £14 mil iirc and the army use it as well

Sheffield is nothing compared to it.
Reply 6
Original post by Al0n
I do Dia Rad at BCU.

We're moving to the City south Campus in Edgbaston next near, as the new skills suite has just opened. Cost around £14 mil iirc and the army use it as well

Sheffield is nothing compared to it.

I have heard about this campus, it supposed to be really nice. I spoke to a Helen White? Who said the plans are being signed off this week so that all of Dia R is based there this September. Is this definitely happening from what you know? If this is true, as I have seen the campus (looks excellent) I will put B'ham as my firm as Sheffield seems to be drawing more -ve reviews compared.

Also how do u find the course, what year are you in? :smile:
Reply 7
Yep, it's 100% happening. They told us in December, so we had time to search for accommodation in Edgbaston. At least you get to avoid Perry Barr. :biggrin:

The course is good so far. No real issues and placement is fun. Just nearing the end of first year now.
Reply 8
Thats good, whats the accomdation like? I need to get accomodation too as I intend on living away from home for the first year (despite living in B'ham lol) to get some experience. And i'm glad thats one thing that was putting me off the Perry Barr thing, as its being situated in Edgbaston its more like Uni Of B'ham course right??

I definitely will put this down as my firm then, is the first year difficult then, really tiring? Do u still get to enjoy student life properly etc, are the people nice, do you get to mix in a lot with others? Tell me honestly please lol, cheers for your help :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Al0n
Yep, it's 100% happening. They told us in December, so we had time to search for accommodation in Edgbaston. At least you get to avoid Perry Barr. :biggrin:

The course is good so far. No real issues and placement is fun. Just nearing the end of first year now.

Thats good, whats the accomdation like? I need to get accomodation too as I intend on living away from home for the first year (despite living in B'ham lol) to get some experience. And i'm glad thats one thing that was putting me off the Perry Barr thing, as its being situated in Edgbaston its more like Uni Of B'ham course right??

I definitely will put this down as my firm then, is the first year difficult then, really tiring? Do u still get to enjoy student life properly etc, are the people nice, do you get to mix in a lot with others? Tell me honestly please lol, cheers for your help
Reply 10
Is the new campus really posh, whats the place like what restuarants etc does it have inside?
Reply 11
Original post by arsenal22
Birmingham is the place to be right now for students!Also BCU will be better for Graduate Prospect wise compared to Sheffield Hallam.

There is nothing wrong with graduate prospects from Sheffield Hallam, the employability has been 100% for all students who graduate for the last ten years.
Reply 12
is bcu not good then?
Birmingham is great so just stay here :smile:
Reply 14
seriously or u just saying it?! :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by gchaggar75

I definitely will put this down as my firm then, is the first year difficult then, really tiring? Do u still get to enjoy student life properly etc, are the people nice, do you get to mix in a lot with others? Tell me honestly please lol, cheers for your help

Ugh, forgot about this. :biggrin:

Accommodation is good in general. I'd definitely recommend the Oscott Gardens ( in fact, I don't because you won't be at that campus next year, I think)

Perry Barr isn't that bad really. You don't have many problems; usually only if you walk around by the one stop at night on your own.

First year is difficult in the sense you have to pick loads of stuff up really quickly. It gets pretty easy half way through though because you would have learnt most of the positioning techniques and had settled in more. You don't have a student life like most others; especially on the 10 week block of placement. Usually when you are based at uni you can have a pretty normal student life going out in the week etc.

People and students are pretty nice yeah. You get a large mixed of different types of people. Some people look weird, but are actually ok when you talk to them :biggrin: Everyone else is new so don't worry. The first week or two was strange because it's new surroundings, but apart from that, it's cool.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest