Turn on thread page Beta

girls aspiring to be stay at home girlfriends - why??? watch

ReputationRep:
    Personally, that would not suit me purely because I would feel a financial dependence on the bf which I'm not comfortable with. And I would probs never buy anything out of sheer guilt at spending money that I have not earned myself
    But I have no problem with girls who want to do that - if it's their dream, then let them follow it. It's a good thing we all have different aspirations anyhow! Makes the world a much more interesting place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Talk about wasting your youth...
    Your opinion.

I don't see how doing what I enjoy is wasting my youth. It would be a waste to me spending years working when I could be raising a family.

Each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think this is a new phenomonon.... todays "stay at home girlfriend" is yesterdays housewife (before kids). It's just that today people tend to marry later... Many people will cohabit with their future wife/husband for years and years before marrying them.

I dont really see it as much of a problem, although whether or not the state should be paying for the education of people (in the case stay at home girl/boyfriends) who do not go on to contribute directly to the economy by working is a bit questionable - the "people should have the choice to pursue knowledge for the sake of knowledge" arguement can only go so far..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    If I were earning enough to support both of us, I'd be happy to have a stay at home girlfriend. There's nothing quite like coming home to a clean house and food on the table with everything at home sorted out so that in the evening the both of you can relax and appreciate each other.
    Aww, this sounds quite sweet

I'd never considered it like that before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    Your opinion.

I don't see how doing what I enjoy is wasting my youth. It would be a waste to me spending years working when I could be raising a family.

Each to their own.
    You think you'll have your own life when you have kids?

ReputationRep:
    They are called WAG's or wannabe WAG's

Too much celeb culture these days.

ReputationRep:
    How the hell could anyone cope with so little independence? :lolwut:

But I guess if both they and their bfs are happy then there's no harm... each to their own.
    Though I would be interested to know how these relationships end, like does the girl have to move back in with her parents until she finds a new man? That part of life would suck.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with it - but it would be really ****ing boring. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I don't have a problem with it - but it would be really ****ing boring. :lolwut:
    Hmmm... I've always wondered why people say this (not as in I disagree with it, I genuinely don't know). Why would it be boring; if you work in a job, you're forced to do something prescribed / fixed from 9-5, and it's almost always something you wouldn't do of your own volition, unless you're a musician / athlete etc. If you don't work, you can do pretty much whatever you want; doesn't necessarily have to be leisure, you can volunteer or study what you want as well. Is it mainly to do with the social aspect of work or the idea of knowing you're earning money?

ReputationRep:
    When I am older and got my degree job, I am happy to work and look after my girlfriend / wife.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to be a stay at home gf for a few reasons:
    First of all, it would make me feel like I'm a loser even though my bf is earning enough money to support both of us I would still feel bad. Thats just how I am. I like to do my own thing like work hard and get the reward of my hard work. Secondly, if the relationship ever break up you may have nothing else left because you wasted your time staying at home instead of living your life out there and build relationship with your friends/family.

Although if I have a baby and my husband decided to make me stay home, I'd be glad to do it because I want to be able to stay with my kids until they are ready to stand up for themselves. I have to make sure my husband earns enough money though, if not I might have to figure something else. Its like the show called *DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES* and some of the characters are stay at home wives and taking care of their kids. Thats how I want it to be if my husband ever want me to stay home with my babies.

ReputationRep:
    Stay at home girlfriend?????--never heard.

Give me a man like that, I dont want to work I dont like working straight up.

ReputationRep:
    Being a 'House Husband' would be immense.

I may have to dedicate the rest of my life to finding a women who'd be cool with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    Stay at home girlfriend?????--never heard.

Give me a man like that, I dont want to work I dont like working straight up.
    I am here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    You think you'll have your own life when you have kids?
    No. I think I will not have a minute to myself. I'm not dumb. I have friends who have settled down and had children and they have always been keen on sharing the good and bad bits with me. It doesn't matter to me though. I suppose it depends on what kind of person you are, I enjoy looking after people. Its not like I am going to have children really young. By the time I leave university I will be 25 and I won't be wanting a child till after then.

ReputationRep:
    I'd question how many women will have a bf that have enough money to let her be a stay at home gf, and just do some housework/shopping. But if she's found a man, why not? I mean if for whatever reason, I stumbled upon 100 million dollars, but let's say I could only use the interest from it, I'd still get a uni degree. Education is more than just the direct uses, but rather it can fulfill whatever curiosities you have (although granted I wouldn't be doing the course I'm doing right now)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Hmmm... I've always wondered why people say this (not as in I disagree with it, I genuinely don't know). Why would it be boring; if you work in a job, you're forced to do something prescribed / fixed from 9-5, and it's almost always something you wouldn't do of your own volition, unless you're a musician / athlete etc. If you don't work, you can do pretty much whatever you want; doesn't necessarily have to be leisure, you can volunteer or study what you want as well. Is it mainly to do with the social aspect of work or the idea of knowing you're earning money?
    I have to say I think this makes all the difference. I would never want to just stay at home and do nothing. I would want to do all the house work and the boring stuff like that but as well I would practice my hobbies and volunteer. I think that if you did just stay at home on your own day in day out it would be rather depressing and you would ultimately feel useless.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say I think this makes all the difference. I would never want to just stay at home and do nothing. I would want to do all the house work and the boring stuff like that but as well I would practice my hobbies and volunteer. I think that if you did just stay at home on your own day in day out it would be rather depressing and you would ultimately feel useless.
    I always imagined that by being a "home girlfriend" if there is such a thing, you'd spend a decent portion of your day doing whatever you like, i.e. your hobbies. I doubt they could spend very long doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, maybe this is just a phase, but I could definitely see myself not working all my life ("staying at home", but not necessarily being stuck in the house all day). There is so much stuff I want to learn, do and experience in life that I don't think I could fit it all in when over 2/3 of my day is taken up by work. And I wouldn't just sit around in the house all day; I'd learn and read about stuff I wasn't able to at university, learn languages etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    It's because they are simple minded and lazy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.