The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bingobongo
So I'm fed up with all the boys I know that are my own age - they're all just obsessed with being lads, getting drunk and getting as many girls as they can. Due to this I'm starting to find myself attracted to older guys I've been meeting that are about 22 or 23. It is worth pursuing anything or will they just see me as a stupid 18 year old?

Stop generalising, some guys want to talk about their feelings and cuddle all day...
Yep. My sister is 20 and her long term bf is 25. They've been going out for around 3 years which means when she was 18, he was 23. I know this doesn't mean that every girl therefore has a chance, but what I'm saying is that because the age gap isn't significantly huge, people of those ages would still be considered 'on the same page' meaning a relationship with people of that age is possible and easily manageable.

Not every 22/23 y/o is as mature as you think, many of them still act as immaturely as a lot of 18 y/o guys, but mostly they're alright. And it really depends on the guy, yes some may look at you and think 'she's only 18', whilst others won't have a problem that you're a couple of years younger. I've known 18 y/o's to go out with 14 y/o's so age gaps like this is really not uncommon.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by DLJ
Stop generalising, some guys want to talk about their feelings and cuddle all day...

I don't think that's an attractive trait either.

I couldn't date a girl that young. I need someone who's ready to settle down when I am, not in the middle of university still.
I can't imagine what 23 year old guys could possibly see in a nubile 18 year old......
Original post by tokoyo-chan
my boyfriend still likes to play with toy guns.... :P

That's not the kind of immaturity you worry about though. It's about their emotional intelligence, outlook and how they respond to situations.
I'm 22 and that'd be fine...
Original post by Khaysha-Saine
22 year old men go out with 18-2year olds all the time so it should be fine :smile:

18-2 year olds??

That's either 16 year olds, or the age ranging from 2 up to 18 :eek:

Are you friends with Gary Glitter?
Reply 47
I felt the same way you did. i'm 18 (19 in july) and my boyfriend is 24 in august so, yeah it can be done :biggrin:
I can't see why guys of that age wouldn't be interested in an 18 year old.
Reply 49
18, can i have 24yr old girls? Had two so far i want more! Lol
Reply 50
So I'm fed up with all the boys I know that are my own age - they're all just obsessed with being lads, getting drunk and getting as many girls as they can. Due to this I'm starting to find myself attracted to older guys I've been meeting that are about 22 or 23. It is worth pursuing anything or will they just see me as a stupid 18 year old?

Believe me when I tell you that age means jack **** in regards to a guy's maturity level. I'm very close to 21 and I can safely say that I'm more mature than some of the guys on my course who are in their mid or late 20s.

That said, I have noticed a change in my attitude since I turned 20. But then, I know a fair few 18 year olds who have their heads screwed on.

:smile:
Reply 51
I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 23, usually it's easier for girls 17/18 to get 22/23 year old boyfriends because they're more likely to be on the same maturity level, so no, it's not difficult at all :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by DLJ

This.

Hey, hey, hey. Now there's nothing wrong with dating older but you may want to consider that you want to date someone with more maturity than someone who's older. There may not be many mature 18 year olds but give them a chance.

Not sure why I'm complaining now I think about it though. I'm 22 next year and I wouldnt mind dating an 18 year old.
Reply 54
Original post by Shippy
I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 23, usually it's easier for girls 17/18 to get 22/23 year old boyfriends because they're more likely to be on the same maturity level, so no, it's not difficult at all :smile:

Girls usually mistake their maturity level for the maturity of men they're interested in.
Reply 55
From countless threads on here we know that confidence is an attractive quality. When I was 18, the 18 year old girls I was attracted too scared the bejesus out of me. Now that I am a bit older (22) I am more self assured and so find it easier to talk to anyone and that includes 18 year old women. I also know that in comparison to an 18yr old guy I may be advantaged by this extra maturity.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Well, I am a 21 yr old male and an 18 year old girl would be a no-no given that they are most likely at a different stage of their lives and often have lower maturity levels and are less able to hold their own in financial/streetwise/worldly terms. I am a graduate with full-time work to worry about, and the chances are that they would be an A-Level student/apprentice/university student with study to worry about so there would be differing priorities. Sure - I could be best friends with one, but I don't think entering a relationship with one would be beneficial for either party involved.
I'm 19 and I'm kind of seeing a 24 year old, so of course it's possible. Just because they're older doesn't automatically make them more mature though. It's not that weird really, although he's a graduate and I'm a first year - the age gap hasn't really been a problem so far, although if we ever get beyond the situation we're in now and progress into a relationship, which would be lovely but I don't know if it'll happen, it might affect things more.

Anon because all this is a secret, and I have friends on TSR.
Original post by iainthegreat
18-2 year olds??

That's either 16 year olds, or the age ranging from 2 up to 18 :eek:

Are you friends with Gary Glitter?

LOL my bad 22* :biggrin:

Send us a picture love and we'll see.

Latest

Trending

Trending