The Student Room Group

Do girls like younger guys?

Poll

Would you date a guy who is 1 to 3 years younger than you? (Girls only)

I've had a few relationships but my gf was always my age. Now and then I run into girls who are fit or smart or nice but are more or less slightly older than me (2 to 3 years). And it just becomes impossible to somehow impress them. Are girls designed to not fall for younger guys?:confused:

Scroll to see replies

They don't.

I know I am generalising, but in this instance, generalising is correct. Pretty much every girl you meet under the age of 25 will not like guys who are younger (and by younger, I mean you being in the year below her, or even younger).

Cue TSR girls saying 'I know a cousin of a friend of a sister of a friend who dated a younger guy, therefore you're wrong :blah:' You can safely assume older girls are out of bounds. It's a harsh fact of life you must learn when you are a young guy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Lol. Cheers
No they don't.
Reply 4
Depends how mature you are. Generally though, they'll go for older guys.
I speak for myself here but... no.
Reply 6
I disagree with previous posters. It just depends on you. If you are capable of showing that you are more mature than the people your age and, more importantly, even slightly more mature than her on some aspects, it can even be better. Then on a purely physical aspect, it also ultimately depends on you, your clothes, your haircut, etc.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
They don't.

I know I am generalising, but in this instance, generalising is correct. Pretty much every girl you meet under the age of 25 will not like guys who are younger (and by younger, I mean you being in the year below her, or even younger).

Cue TSR girls saying 'I know a cousin of a friend of a sister of a friend who dated a younger guy, therefore you're wrong :blah:' You can safely assume older girls are out of bounds. It's a harsh fact of life you must learn when you are a young guy.

that's interesting!!
what if a guy looked young but was actually the same age or older?
Original post by HRH2
Are girls designed to not fall for younger guys?:confused:

Kind of. We're sort of programmed to like older guys who can provide for us.

Not that it's impossible to get an older girl, it's just less common. If you're mature then you'll stand a better chance; I've met a few guys and been surprised when I found out they're younger.
Reply 9
I guess I'm a Harold and Maude type. :tongue:

I tend to like younger guys. It's not a preference that is set in stone, but I have noticed that almost all of the blokes that I have liked happen to have been a year to a few years younger than I am. I've liked a boy 4 years younger than me, but I would feel uncomfortable dating anyone under the age of 18. The fact that 18 year-olds are 4 years younger than I am means that in a few years the age gap will widen, but I cannot say for certain. Most of the boys who I like are about 1-3 years younger than I am.

I think the reason that many girls like to date older guys is because girls tend to mature faster, and thus in order for girls to be "on par" with their male partner, they expect the male to be older.

Not to mention that there is still a social stigma for a girl to date a younger male. Society expects that the boy will be "in charge" and if the female is older then *shock* *horror of horrors* she might be the dominant one in the relationship. Of course, anyone can be the dominant one in a relationship regardless of age, but that's how society tends to view it....

I have friends who like really older men... One of my friends commented about my "hot" professor... who is about 60. She comments on a lot of older men. I think she thinks that they will be gentlemen. She is very judgemental of boys our age... unfairly, I think. I am very skeptical of people who talk about how "mature" they are in comparison to other people.

So yea, I like like younger guys. Age isn't really a huge deal to me... especially if I like the person.
Reply 10
Original post by Paper Moon
I guess I'm a Harold and Maude type. :tongue:

I tend to like younger guys. It's not a preference that is set in stone, but I have noticed that almost all of the blokes that I have liked happen to have been a year to a few years younger than I am. I've liked a boy 4 years younger than me, but I would feel uncomfortable dating anyone under the age of 18. The fact that 18 year-olds are 4 years younger than I am means that in a few years the age gap will widen, but I cannot say for certain. Most of the boys who I like are about 1-3 years younger than I am.

I think the reason that many girls like to date older guys is because girls tend to mature faster, and thus in order for girls to be "on par" with their male partner, they expect the male to be older.

Not to mention that there is still a social stigma for a girl to date a younger male. Society expects that the boy will be "in charge" and if the female is older then *shock* *horror of horrors* she might be the dominant one in the relationship. Of course, anyone can be the dominant one in a relationship regardless of age, but that's how society tends to view it....

I have friends who like really older men... One of my friends commented about my "hot" professor... who is about 60. She comments on a lot of older men. I think she thinks that they will be gentlemen. She is very judgemental of boys our age... unfairly, I think. I am very skeptical of people who talk about how "mature" they are in comparison to other people.

So yea, I like like younger guys. Age isn't really a huge deal to me... especially if I like the person.

Hmmmm! If everyone had your mentality. :eek:
I like to date someone older than me. But everyone is different.
I think you've easily got a chance, given the right girl :P
My boyfriend's younger, it's not something I even thought about because we got together from just spending time together in a social setting and got on really well. If you can socialize and get on with a girl well then I would say you have a good a chance as anyone
EXCEPT if they are the type of girl who would just refuse to date someone younger.
but I'll have to agree I think you'll have a few problems with some girls just not liking the idea, should you pursue these older women.

On another note; I wouldn't say it's about being mature, because I don't think making you feel like you need to act old will help in any way, and my boyfriend and I are both the most immature people I know :P if they'd like a younger guy I'd estimate that at least one of water-fights, pillow-fights and tickle-fights are high on their list too. They're not going to have some illusions of feeling mature :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by lostforever64
I think you've easily got a chance, given the right girl :P
My boyfriend's younger, it's not something I even thought about because we got together from just spending time together in a social setting and got on really well. If you can socialize and get on with a girl well then I would say you have a good a chance as anyone
EXCEPT if they are the type of girl who would just refuse to date someone younger.
but I'll have to agree I think you'll have a few problems with some girls just not liking the idea, should you pursue these older women.

On another note; I wouldn't say it's about being mature, because I don't think making you feel like you need to act old will help in any way, and my boyfriend and I are both the most immature people I know :P if they'd like a younger guy I'd estimate that at least one of water-fights, pillow-fights and tickle-fights are high on their list too. They're not going to have some illusions of feeling mature :P

You make it sound like I'm 12. I go to university. I am almost 20 and I don't want to be a stereotypical young guy but I am pretty mature. lol
Reply 14
If you're not a moron, you can pull an older girl. I've done it many times (this is not me bragging in fairness), and only now I have sampled the delights of a girl younger than me.
Original post by MattyEFC
If you're not a moron, you can pull an older girl. I've done it many times (this is not me bragging in fairness), and only now I have sampled the delights of a girl younger than me.

You sound like such a pedo XD
Okay, can't quote but I wasn't implying you were a teenager or anything, I said what I'd have said to my bf, also 20
equally, we're both mentally 12, so probably your answer there :P
Yes, my last girlfriend was 23, I am 20.

My girlfriend before that was 21, I was 19.

:smile:
i prefer older guys. or at least the same age as me.
Reply 19
Original post by lostforever64
You sound like such a pedo XD

I realise that, but that would be highly inappropriate in the eyes of the law, haha.
I'm talking a couple of months there like, not 6 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending