The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

To all the MMU people... does anyone know the rough start date yet? UCAS says 1st but that's just stupid, apparently its about the 17th.

anyone know any more than me?? ta
Original post by Han265
Hi, sorry haven't been on here for a week. Any news? They must have that wrong!

Unfortunately no, Ive written to the main tutor at DMU and explained that that was the whole purpose of me doing the Access Course in the first place and that ive never had any problems with it before. I have asked them to look into it and check because I know loads of people where Access Courses have been sufficient and that its the whole idea of them (getting into uni, reaching GCSE/ALevel equiv). On top of that Ive studied a course with Open Uni which should count as an access course alone (so really I have two but the OU one is specifically for Health and Social Care whereas the other one I studied at college covered many subjects) Anyway they replied to my email and said that they are still pretty certain my Access course wont be accepted with their university (DMU) even though Ive explained so many times and ive got more than enough credits! Ive contacted UCAS who said they are allowed to accept what they want even if it means upping the entry requirements (apparently the entry reqs are only a bare minimum and they can demand what they want :frown: ).Im really not going to be happy if they dont sort it out, its unfair that others have been accepted. In my opinion they are struggling with how many places are left and maybe trying to make excuses. First of all before any of this happened they said that they wouldnt even look at my application because it was late and came in after the deadline (which it was in on time!). Again I had to call UCAS and they supported me and said it was definitely in on time so they rectified it and took it out of the 'late pile'. Then they said they cant accept my access course because it doesnt have pass, merit, distinction and I explained that I took the course in 2008 before that was even introduced! Spoke to UCAS (again) and then the uni again and finally got it rectified and now this! Still waiting to hear whether they will accept it or not. For some reason they think the GCSE subjects in the Access course arent up to standard to be equivalents. Im not very impressed lol. On the plus side I have an interview with BCU soon which is my top choice. I'll just have to wait and see with DMU but I will keep challenging it. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Jennie :smile:. Im over the moon. Hopefully I'll be able to join the facebook group at some point although Im not going to get my hopes up too much lol. Did they give the chance for people to ask questions? and did many people have questions to ask? My interview is on Tuesday 24th April. Im just glad its a written interview because I always fall to pieces in verbal interviews lol. Anyway, thanks for your advice and support :smile:. I know ive been such a pain being impatient and moaning but I want this so bad and I honestly thought I hadnt got in and they were just going to send out a tonne of rejection letters out to those still waiting to hear at the end. Thanks again. If you think of any tips or anything important let me know :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jennyluna91
Hi,

I'm currently in my 2nd year at university doing English Language & Linguistics. I'm looking into doing a Speech Language and Therapy postgraduate degree. I know that it is highly competitive, so I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what kinda of work experience/qualities they generally look for?

I've worked as a care worker for the elderly for 3 years and in the summer I am hopefully going to be shadowing a SLT in a hospital- is there any vital work or volunteering I should look into?

Thanks, Jenny

Do you enjoy English and Linguistics that's my backup if I don't go to Speech Therapy but I don't know if I'd enjoy the Linguistic parts
Original post by pinkmonkey93
Do you enjoy English and Linguistics that's my backup if I don't go to Speech Therapy but I don't know if I'd enjoy the Linguistic parts

Thats exactly the same as me Pink Monkey, i dont know if I'll enjoy it. Its also my backup plan x
Reply 4144
Thanks Jennie :smile:
Okay, i have filled in my student finance thing, ...
'Select which evidence item you will provide to confirm your NHS Bursary'
im guessing we can't do this yet and will have to wait for a bit?
Reply 4145
Original post by MadzieMoo
I emailed MMU last month and they said both courses were NHS funded. I've also done the student finance and they confirmed NHS will be paying for it all. :smile:

cool :smile: I haven't done any of that yet, I'm being stupidly unorganized about this! :/ x
Reply 4146
Original post by pink_flamingo
Unfortunately no, Ive written to the main tutor at DMU and explained that that was the whole purpose of me doing the Access Course in the first place and that ive never had any problems with it before. I have asked them to look into it and check because I know loads of people where Access Courses have been sufficient and that its the whole idea of them (getting into uni, reaching GCSE/ALevel equiv). On top of that Ive studied a course with Open Uni which should count as an access course alone (so really I have two but the OU one is specifically for Health and Social Care whereas the other one I studied at college covered many subjects) Anyway they replied to my email and said that they are still pretty certain my Access course wont be accepted with their university (DMU) even though Ive explained so many times and ive got more than enough credits! Ive contacted UCAS who said they are allowed to accept what they want even if it means upping the entry requirements (apparently the entry reqs are only a bare minimum and they can demand what they want :frown: ).Im really not going to be happy if they dont sort it out, its unfair that others have been accepted. In my opinion they are struggling with how many places are left and maybe trying to make excuses. First of all before any of this happened they said that they wouldnt even look at my application because it was late and came in after the deadline (which it was in on time!). Again I had to call UCAS and they supported me and said it was definitely in on time so they rectified it and took it out of the 'late pile'. Then they said they cant accept my access course because it doesnt have pass, merit, distinction and I explained that I took the course in 2008 before that was even introduced! Spoke to UCAS (again) and then the uni again and finally got it rectified and now this! Still waiting to hear whether they will accept it or not. For some reason they think the GCSE subjects in the Access course arent up to standard to be equivalents. Im not very impressed lol. On the plus side I have an interview with BCU soon which is my top choice. I'll just have to wait and see with DMU but I will keep challenging it. Thanks for your help.

What OU course did you do? is it the health and social care OU K101, if so for some universities that's enough and trumps an Access Course I'm guessing - see the entrance requirements on the Course Admissions page of the University of Strathclyde's SLT page. Maybe it would help to emphasise you have that?
Original post by pink_flamingo

Thanks Jennie :smile:. Im over the moon. Hopefully I'll be able to join the facebook group at some point although Im not going to get my hopes up too much lol. Did they give the chance for people to ask questions? and did many people have questions to ask? My interview is on Tuesday 24th April. Im just glad its a written interview because I always fall to pieces in verbal interviews lol. Anyway, thanks for your advice and support :smile:. I know ive been such a pain being impatient and moaning but I want this so bad and I honestly thought I hadnt got in and they were just going to send out a tonne of rejection letters out to those still waiting to hear at the end. Thanks again. If you think of any tips or anything important let me know :smile:

Well, I hope you all the best with the interview, maybe prepare a bit more than I did because I spent about 5 mins in the car journey thinking about it and then gave up. :P my advice: if you have lots of experience, brag about it, thats what i did and it seemed to work :smile: and urm in the talk before you have the interview you have opportunities i think to ask questions yes :smile: I should have asked about how many weeks it is because I have no idea and trying to sort out my accommodation too. And I thought I fell to peices with my UEA interview but they offered me a place the next day, my blabbering for that must have worn off on them haha. :smile: all the best with the interview, just do your best and you will be fine :smile: also, refresh your memory on the rcslt website listing the types of clients cus thats what i did and it helped a lot with one of the questions :smile: x

Original post by whita
Thanks Jennie :smile:
Okay, i have filled in my student finance thing, ...
'Select which evidence item you will provide to confirm your NHS Bursary'
im guessing we can't do this yet and will have to wait for a bit?

No problem :smile: and yeah dont think we can do this yet :smile: have to wait for bursary stuff to come through i believe... :smile: x
Does anybody know how the bursary and grant are paid? Is it monthly or in big chunks, like the maintenance loan? I think I read somewhere that the bursary is monthly, but I don't know if the grant will be added onto the bursary amount and paid monthly, or if it will be a one-off payment.
Reply 4149
Original post by Fi90
Anybody going to any of the strathclyde open days?

hey im going down to the one on this friday, getting the train down from aberdeen! should be good to get a look round the uni
Reply 4150
So having firmed my choice, am I correct in thinking the next step is sending off my form for student finance then waiting for the NHS bursary stuff to arrive? I can't do it online as an EU student. Is there anything I need to do in advance of receiving the bursary stuff, the uni contacts them right?

Has anyone who firmed MMU received anything from them since they firmed?
Reply 4151
Original post by adam_t
hey im going down to the one on this friday, getting the train down from aberdeen! should be good to get a look round the uni

Hey, I'm going to the one on Friday too. Remember the open day is at jordanhill, but the jordanhill campus is meant to be moving to the main campus over summer (hopefully) so have a look around the main campus as well as jordanhill :-)
Reply 4152
Original post by Fi90
Hey, I'm going to the one on Friday too. Remember the open day is at jordanhill, but the jordanhill campus is meant to be moving to the main campus over summer (hopefully) so have a look around the main campus as well as jordanhill :-)

ah didnt know that! guess that means less travelling across glasgow, i might try and get to look at the accommodation as well if possible, what are you doing about accommodation next year?
Reply 4153
Original post by adam_t
ah didnt know that! guess that means less travelling across glasgow, i might try and get to look at the accommodation as well if possible, what are you doing about accommodation next year?

Yeah. Good idea, I am going to be staying at home because I only live about 1 hour away by bus, will you be stayin in halls or private accommodation?
Reply 4154
Original post by adam_t

Original post by Fi90

I'll be there on Friday too =)
Original post by juliewho
Does anybody know how the bursary and grant are paid? Is it monthly or in big chunks, like the maintenance loan? I think I read somewhere that the bursary is monthly, but I don't know if the grant will be added onto the bursary amount and paid monthly, or if it will be a one-off payment.

The bursary is paid in monthly instalments (with a double payment when you start, and the next payment then 2 months later), and I assume the grant would be paid monthly on top of that.
Original post by rach339
That's what I thought initially, but I then read a very useful post on here which said to tick the box (or whatever it is you do, I can't remember!) to say you can't provide any evidence. I've done this and it now says that it's sending out a declaration for me to sign. Hopefully I've done it right, I want to get this whole finance thing moving! :smile:

My declaration is on the way too :smile: glad student finance is almost over with, it was so much hassle because I don't have a passport!
Reply 4157
Original post by Rhonaa
I'll be there on Friday too =)

Do you think it's just an information kinda session like the one in October (ish)?
Reply 4158
Original post by Fi90
Do you think it's just an information kinda session like the one in October (ish)?

I think so, but maybe a bit more detailed? Did you go to the one in October? I missed it because I wasn't well, what sort of stuff did they cover in it? =)
Reply 4159
Original post by Rhonaa
I think so, but maybe a bit more detailed? Did you go to the one in October? I missed it because I wasn't well, what sort of stuff did they cover in it? =)

Most of it was about entry requirements and stuff, and just a kinda brief outline of the course and answering any questions! So it probably will be more about the actual course.

Quick Reply

Latest