The Student Room Group

Help please - We're making a new student finance section on TSR

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hello,
There is any possibility to apply for supplementary grant when you parents incomes are less than 25k pound/year?
P.S I am not from England I am EU Student in London
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Teewux
Hello,
There is any possibility to apply for supplementary grant when you parents incomes are less than 25k pound/year?
P.S I am not from England I am EU Student in London

You can get the full maintenance grant if your parental income is less than 25K - that's the benchmark threshold for all loans/grants.
A step-by-step guide to the application form would be good. Becuase I found the wording confusing. Also what is the interest rate on maintenance loan? I'm getting REALLY frustrated because Direct Gov are so rubbish. Everywhere gives details about repaying the tutition fee loan but what about the maintenance? Because my parents want to decide whether they should fund my living or not. Also this isn't really in TSR's ability to change but the terminology used is confusing. Some people use student loan to mean tutition fees, some maintenance. Everyone should call it tuition or maintenance. Sorry about the rate but I've found this so frustrating! :smile: The new tuition fees mean all the websites are trying to explain it and they've all forgotten that we need to know about the maintenance loan just as much as last year did. Thanks
Reply 23
Original post by duckpancakes
A step-by-step guide to the application form would be good. Becuase I found the wording confusing. Also what is the interest rate on maintenance loan? I'm getting REALLY frustrated because Direct Gov are so rubbish. Everywhere gives details about repaying the tutition fee loan but what about the maintenance? Because my parents want to decide whether they should fund my living or not. Also this isn't really in TSR's ability to change but the terminology used is confusing. Some people use student loan to mean tutition fees, some maintenance. Everyone should call it tuition or maintenance. Sorry about the rate but I've found this so frustrating! :smile: The new tuition fees mean all the websites are trying to explain it and they've all forgotten that we need to know about the maintenance loan just as much as last year did. Thanks

Both the maintenance and tuition fee loans are charged with interest from the day the money gets sent to your account. Interest rates can be found here:

www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678642&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

My advice would be to always take out the loan. It's the best form of loan you'll receive.
Original post by iPhone
Both the maintenance and tuition fee loans are charged with interest from the day the money gets sent to your account. Interest rates can be found here:

www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678642&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

My advice would be to always take out the loan. It's the best form of loan you'll receive.

Thanks. So my student loan interest they mean the tuition fee and the maintenance loan lumped together?
something about budgeting
Reply 26
Original post by duckpancakes
Thanks. So my student loan interest they mean the tuition fee and the maintenance loan lumped together?

Yep.
Reply 27
Who needs to sign the student finance declaration form? me or my parents? HELP!!!!
i received the student finance declaration form by post today but just as i got it, my dad was going to the post office so I asked him is he could go post it today. so i had to sign the declaration quickly before he left so i just signed the form at the bottom and put the date on it and quickly handed it to him to post without reading what it said. so now im kinda worried as i dont know whether i was required to sign it or my parents. and was there any other info in the form that i needed to know that i didnt read.

please help thank you in advance
Postgraduate funding, funding for mature students, funding for part-timers.

International funding would also be good to see.
Reply 29
J
OP
what do you guys think of the finance section as it stands today please? :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Student_Finance
Original post by J
what do you guys think of the finance section as it stands today please? :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Student_Finance

It looks like there's some good content there, but I'm not overly keen on the layout - it comes across as quite disorganised and not very easy to follow, especially with the way that the page is broken up with the "Finance Lab" banner and the block of videos near to the bottom. I'd suggest that it would look better to have the "Finance Lab" banner right at the bottom of the page, move the "Student Finance Surgeries" section up and perhaps put the "Get Reel" stuff on a separate, linked page?

Can you get the "Student Finance Zone" banner to stretch across the full page and use the coloured background of the "Student Finance Matters" section for the rest of the page?

The side bar on the right-hand side is looking very nice :yy:
Reply 31
J
OP
Thanks good layout feedback.

Has it been very useful for members? explaining the fairly complex finance options in a simple way?
Hi there, I would like to see information on finance for second degree students. Particularly graduates applying for medicine 4 GEM and 5 year courses as it's really confusing and people always ask the same questions.
Reply 33
I haven't sent it off, but I clicked 'save' on one of the sections that I now want to go back on. There were two options and now I can't go back and choose the other option instead.

It involved which form of loan I want.

What do I do?
Hi I'm due to start college in September to do: BTEC Level 3 90 Credit/Extended Diploma in Performing Arts (Acting) (for the first time :-O) and I've read tones and tones of finance info and i'm really confused. I've applied for the Student finance lone but I don't know what to apply for next and when. I am 27 married with two kids and my main question is what am I entitled to? I won't be entitled to JSA or Income Support so how do I support my family while i'm at college?
I have a suggestion: An ALF sticky would be useful.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
I have a suggestion: An ALF sticky would be useful.

Usually stickies are discussions. (ie, the Student Finance Q&A) But there's nothing to stop anyone from making an article on it. Or were you thinking more of a Q&A type thing?
Original post by OU Student
Usually stickies are discussions. (ie, the Student Finance Q&A) But there's nothing to stop anyone from making an article on it. Or were you thinking more of a Q&A type thing?

I was thinking a Q&A type thing. As anyone who's ever had to apply for it will know, its a right minefield and you have to jump through so many hoops. I thought it would be good to have a Q&A of people who have gone through the ballache of applying and people who are applying/thinking of applying. Its also one of the things that a lot of people don't actually know about although it would be a lot of use to them. Having a sticky at the top of the page would be helpful so that people know that it exists. Its also what emergency loans are applied for through if people haven't recieved their student finance on time, so it would be useful on that front as well.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
I was thinking a Q&A type thing. As anyone who's ever had to apply for it will know, its a right minefield and you have to jump through so many hoops. I thought it would be good to have a Q&A of people who have gone through the ballache of applying and people who are applying/thinking of applying. Its also one of the things that a lot of people don't actually know about although it would be a lot of use to them. Having a sticky at the top of the page would be helpful so that people know that it exists. Its also what emergency loans are applied for through if people haven't recieved their student finance on time, so it would be useful on that front as well.

You (or anyone else) are more than welcome to start a thread on ALF and I am happy enough to make it a sticky for you. :smile:
Original post by OU Student
You (or anyone else) are more than welcome to start a thread on ALF and I am happy enough to make it a sticky for you. :smile:

Sorry its taken a few days, but I've just created a thread, if you would have a look and stickify it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending