The Student Room Group

I'm predicted AAC, should i apply to AAB universities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Maddog Jones
A - A*
A - A*
C - A

I'm already on an effective A* in terms of marks for one of the A's. The other I'll need to get up. The C was comprised of two papers, one I got an A in, the other a C. I'm retaking the C so hopefully I'll get an A. They aren't unreasonable at all.

They are, and you are being naive if you think they aren't. If you look at it statistically, most people maintain the grade they scored at AS for their A level results. Obviously some improve, but to bump up 4 grades in 3 subjects is unlikely.

You may be "on an effective A* in terms of marks" but remember you are saying that you expect to score over 90% in the A2 part of 2 subjects, while getting an A in your third subject and on top of that moving a resit up by 2 grades.

This is why they need to scrap predictions and give offers based on actual A level results. It all balances out in the end anyway, uni's know whether or not colleges/schools usually over predict and take it into account. All I am trying to say is your school or college is doing nobody any favours because any offers you get are likely to be equal to your predicted grades, giving you a harder job than if they predicted something sensible in the first place! Anyway, it would seem most people disagree with you based on the large amount of neg's you received!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Kandy_Kain_94

Original post by Kandy_Kain_94
Yes, definitely, there's no harm in trying. I'm predicted AAB, (but applied for an AAA university) and I've just got an offer, so you never know. :smile:

offer from where and what uni if you dont mind me asking to study what? :smile:
Lol, I got AACd at AS and I'm predicted A*A*A if I want it.

And then the uni will think "wtf" and you'll get 5 big fat rejections.
Original post by siwelmail
And then the uni will think "wtf" and you'll get 5 big fat rejections.

>if i want it

I'm not thick (maybe you are), I'm going to lower my predicted grades to A*A*B, which is one grade higher than what I achieved, convention in a lot of schools and certainly believable.
Original post by vj-93
offer from where and what uni if you dont mind me asking to study what? :smile:

Liverpool to study Law :smile:
>if i want it

I'm not thick (maybe you are), I'm going to lower my predicted grades to A*A*B, which is one grade higher than what I achieved, convention in a lot of schools and certainly believable.

Yeah, also your A's may already be 90%+, so not unbelievable at all.
Yeah, it's worth applying for one or two, but make sure you have some other uni's with lower grades on your list.
Original post by icedragon
They are, and you are being naive if you think they aren't. If you look at it statistically, most people maintain the grade they scored at AS for their A level results. Obviously some improve, but to bump up 4 grades in 3 subjects is unlikely.

You may be "on an effective A* in terms of marks" but remember you are saying that you expect to score over 90% in the A2 part of 2 subjects, while getting an A in your third subject and on top of that moving a resit up by 2 grades.

This is why they need to scrap predictions and give offers based on actual A level results. It all balances out in the end anyway, uni's know whether or not colleges/schools usually over predict and take it into account. All I am trying to say is your school or college is doing nobody any favours because any offers you get are likely to be equal to your predicted grades, giving you a harder job than if they predicted something sensible in the first place! Anyway, it would seem most people disagree with you based on the large amount of neg's you received!

You're a moron.
Reply 48
You're a moron.

Nice intellectual response there, you clearly deserve 2 A*'s and an A.
Original post by jackMUFCfinn
Hi, first post on the student room, sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

Anyway, at AS i got AACd and I'm predicted AAC. Realistically, is there any chance of me getting offers from AAB universities? Will ABB universities be likely to give me offers because i got the equivalent of ABB?

Yes!

I've applied for Optometry. In the UK there are only 9 universities that offer it. With my predicted grades (A*AB), I only meet the entry requirements of 1 university. 1 out of 9. But I thought I may as well apply for 5 and see what I get.

So far I've been given 3 offers of ABB, AAA and A*AA, and have been given an interview for AAB requirements. The B doesn't seem to have phased them at all. And Optometry is a very competitive course (for every place about 10-11 students apply).

Speak to your teachers or careers advisor to help smooth out any worries you have, but if you're desperate to go to a uni that asks for 1 grade higher, just make sure your personal statement and teachers' reference is the best it can possibly be to give you that more of a chance.

All the best!
Original post by britchick
Yes!

I've applied for Optometry. In the UK there are only 9 universities that offer it. With my predicted grades (A*AB), I only meet the entry requirements of 1 university. 1 out of 9. But I thought I may as well apply for 5 and see what I get.

So far I've been given 3 offers of ABB, AAA and A*AA, and have been given an interview for AAB requirements. The B doesn't seem to have phased them at all. And Optometry is a very competitive course (for every place about 10-11 students apply).

Speak to your teachers or careers advisor to help smooth out any worries you have, but if you're desperate to go to a uni that asks for 1 grade higher, just make sure your personal statement and teachers' reference is the best it can possibly be to give you that more of a chance.

All the best!

I'd love to see all the puns/eye related remarks you've put in your statement :smile:
Original post by callmenighthawk
I'd love to see all the puns/eye related remarks you've put in your statement :smile:

I actually love puns and was so tempted to include some that I pretty much shortlisted a few, just didn't put them in, in case they thought I was a freak 8-)

"I'd love to enhance my focus on Optometry..."
"I always knew I'd opt for this course..."
"EYE LOVE OPTOMETRY"
Original post by britchick
I actually love puns and was so tempted to include some that I pretty much shortlisted a few, just didn't put them in, in case they thought I was a freak 8-)

"I'd love to enhance my focus on Optometry..."
"I always knew I'd opt for this course..."
"EYE LOVE OPTOMETRY"

hehe, but a bit of wittery doesn't go a miss, I saw in my friends statement for engineering something like "to what will be a whole new landscape of materials"

thought that was pretty good haha
My PGs were ABC and an A in General Studies. I applied for two AAB universities and I've been accepted at both! I also applied for a BBB and two BCC's though - just to be safe!
Perhaps you could stick to the ones you match for A2 wise, then if they are better then adjustment would work.

Although, if the course you are applying for has a generally low competition, then it shouldn't be too diificult to get that cond. offer.
Reply 55
Im predicted ABB applied for a course that wants AAB and they gave me a AAB offer.
[QUOTE="psychojonas;34898601"]No, you couldn't. If you're predicted grades were A*A*A*, how then would you proceed to beat them?[/QUOTE
true but thts in the wrong context...:wink:
If you like the places then sure. Just remember to apply to ones with your predicted grades and/or one lower in case anything happens. You may do better than you think, or you may not.
I'm predicted AAC and 4/5 choices that I have made have a typical offer of AAB
My reference is strong, as is my personal reference.

Fingers Crossed! :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by NapoleonDynamite
Just to make you feel better, Im predicted BBC and applied to an AAB uni and got an offer

Which uni and degree was this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending