The Student Room Group

Why are so many people happy to be unfit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Jimbo1234
Simply because they are not happy.

No one is happy to look worse, feel worse, and generally live a crappy lifestyle, and no one actively wants this.
However, many people believe that :

a) No matter how hard they try, they won't become fit

b) They will never look good (also ties into why people don't both with fashion along with a reduction in the number of girls wearing make-up)

c) You have to live in the gym 24/7 to improve.

d) Everyone who looks good will judge them and attack them in a mob weilding pitch forks and torches because they judge everyone and are insecure thus believe that everyone thinks the same.

e) Self entitlement. "It is my right", "I'm entitled to...". This culture has raised people who genuinely believe that they deserve something for nothing (look at the amount of people who felt they deserved holidays and big TV's and are now in debt). These people have never worked hard at anything and never will. Sadly, when it comes to getting fit, you either work hard or fail.

f) No self control. People can not say no to **** food and are not willing to make sacrifices for greater gains in the future as they want immediate satisfaction. Partially ties in with e).

g) No one is honest. "You can't say that!". No longer are you allowed to tell the truth and say to someone that they are fat and would look better if they dropped the weight. This results in Team Fatass all grouping together and comforting each other in a self built world of denial.

h) Due to g), many people now have a deluded idea as to what looks good and what looks bad. If you ask people nowadays, they think someone who is obese is merely overweight or chubby due to the number of fat people (and the stupid presumption that the average person can't be fat) and the insane size that some people become. Many people also now think that what is healthy is unfit. I remember a load of girls claiming that the Pussycat Dolls were too skinny and unfit.....even though they dance for hours on end :facepalm: Never underestimate the power of denial.

All in all, lots of problems accumulating to a really ****ed up nation :redface:

Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.

Everyone has 3 hours free per week.
You just decided to do other things instead.
As for the knee/hip problem, buy a bike, go swimming, do arm weights, do yoga. There are many things to do besides running.

Yes you can.
Want some time to yourself?
Go to the gym.
Want to just listen to music?
Gym.
Want something productive to do?
Gym
Want to look better?

...you see where I'm going with this.

Anyone who says what you did have simply jumped to a crap conclusion that shows you have never been near a gym/seriously attended one and want to make an excuse as to why you should not.

I really don't get it. Some people are a bit retarded, I eat more than fat people, I just do some exercise, get an exercise bike/treadmill, if you can't afford that, do some ****ing situps and press ups.

I may be a lazy ass, but i'm pretty fit even though I don't exercise much, the natural fitness comes from the determination to not be a fatass and not be lazy.

It annoys me, they'll end up with heart disease and diabetes and start complaining that the NHS aren't doing their job, how about they do their ****ing job and prevent it in the first place.
Reply 61
Original post by jokosor
Not here. Every black guy in my street regularly goes to the gym, yet very few of them study while most of them are bent on drug trafficking, stealing, fighting etc... If you want to survive in the street you need to be fit, eventually they realise this and they amend to it.

On the other hand, smart students in my area, only play football, fail at it and are not exactly "fit". The ones with ambition are hell bent on revising and getting the hell outta here, their physique is the last thing on their mind. I don't meet many successful people here but the ones I know are overweight. All of my GPs are overweight...bank managers are overweight...etc, it's funny.

Like I said, it depends on where you live.

Meh, I'm black, barely go to the gym unless it's free, I'm not stupid, I have enough time to revise and work hard and do some running. Is it really that hard to not be fat?
Reply 62
I believe that anyone and I mean anyone, without a serious disability, is able to get in fairly good shape if they have the will power to do so.
Reply 63
i agree, if you walk down the high street in the averge town these days the amount of obese people you see is repugnant ... i dont understand how these people can look in the mirror and be ok with the way they look and the damage its doing to there bodies...:s-smilie:
Reply 64
For most it's just too easy to make excuses. I know I'm going to offend people by saying this, but if people just look at the paralympics alone there's people with amputated legs sprinting, so clearly your flat feet(or whatever) can't be that much of a detriment. I think most of the people in this thread complaining about medical conditions have the potential to get fit, they might just have to try harder. But it's not like anyone who's unfit doesn't go through a fair amount of pain to get fit.

I *am* being self-righteous and hypocritical and I'm not going to deny that. In the past I've put off doing exercise over stupid things(i.e blisters, the weather, not wanting to see certain people at the gym, feeling tired, or even just a tv show), but it's not like any of them were truly legitimate.

I respect people's right to live the lifestyle they want, whether that's healthy or unhealthy, and I don't think it's fair to try and impose your life style onto others just because it makes you feel valid and more healthy, but those who genuinely do want to get fit but put it off over somewhat bogus excuses, you're really not doing yourself any favours. There'll always be something that makes it inconvenient, nothing will be achieved from just putting it off.

I can accept that there may be one or two legitimate excuses, but unless you're paralysed from the neck down(or some sort of extreme metabollic disorder) I don't see how there isn't *something* you can do. Even people who've been so obese they're pretty much bed bound just lifted weights until they were in a position to be mobile and went on to lose several hundred pounds, I mean, I don't need to regurgitate all these success stories, I just want to let people know that it's not impossible and almost anyone can do it.
Only takes around 2 hours of my day to go to the gym, so time really isn't an issue imo. Gym membership might be though.

I love exercise personally, good hobby, releases stress, makes me feel more active etc.

Doubt i'd be going to the gym if it wasn't for sport though. Dunno
Original post by Emor
For most it's just too easy to make excuses. I know I'm going to offend people by saying this, but if people just look at the paralympics alone there's people with amputated legs sprinting, so clearly your flat feet(or whatever) can't be that much of a detriment. I think most of the people in this thread complaining about medical conditions have the potential to get fit, they might just have to try harder. But it's not like anyone who's unfit doesn't go through a fair amount of pain to get fit.

i defy you to try having two dislocating knees that can even dislocate with something simple as turning over in bed, uncrossing legs etc

and then go see how much exercise you can do :wink:

btw i do what i can when it comes to exercise, i cant run or do a lot of cardio but i can and do, do weights and a little light cardio
Reply 67
Original post by jam277
Meh, I'm black, barely go to the gym unless it's free, I'm not stupid, I have enough time to revise and work hard and do some running. Is it really that hard to not be fat?

LOL mmm are we talking about muscular or what here? Blacks usually exercise to bulk up...
Reply 68
In olden times, people kept fit by doing everyday jobs like cleaning etc,there's not only one way to keep fit! Imo, as technology advances we get lazier and lazier as machines start doing jobs that keep us fit...without tech then yh less overweight people would exist tbh..
You are doing it wrong, sorry but its that simple.

People often underestimate the amount of calories they take in, even when there supposed to be recording them.
Reply 70
It's not just a case of being lazy; the average person doesn't know how to have a balanced diet and effective workout regime.

But like I said, if someone has the willpower to improve their fitness, they will do what it takes: Work hard, read up on how it's done, be consistent, not give in to temptation etc etc.
'fit'
'unfit'

Whichever applies to you, if you are happy, don't worry about what other people say or think.

....unless you're so obsessed with thinking about one extreme or the other that you are becomming unhappy.
Reply 72
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
i defy you to try having two dislocating knees that can even dislocate with something simple as turning over in bed, uncrossing legs etc

and then go see how much exercise you can do :wink:

btw i do what i can when it comes to exercise, i cant run or do a lot of cardio but i can and do, do weights and a little light cardio

Then you're doing *something*, aren't you? I've already admitted that it's going to be harder for some than others, and I have no real doubt that many obese people have the same diets as those who are naturally skinny, I'm just saying that there's only an extreme minority(who personally I think by acknowledging their existence does more harm than good, since said minority it's blatantly obvious they're incapable) who are completely incapable of making any improvement.

Even so I'd think I'd still be capable of rowing, maybe cross trainer/stepping machine/etc.(really not that intense on your knees), etc. in terms of cardio. Tbh the only thing I'd think having poor knees would effect would be running.

It's good you've not completely gave up and are actually doing something, if you want to change.

I don't have a problem with people who don't want to change, I just think it's sad many people delude themselves into thinking they can't change because of x, y and z.
Original post by Emor
Then you're doing *something*, aren't you? I've already admitted that it's going to be harder for some than others, and I have no real doubt that many obese people have the same diets as those who are naturally skinny, I'm just saying that there's only an extreme minority(who personally I think by acknowledging their existence does more harm than good, since said minority it's blatantly obvious they're incapable) who are completely incapable of making any improvement.

Even so I'd think I'd still be capable of rowing, maybe cross trainer/stepping machine/etc.(really not that intense on your knees), etc. in terms of cardio. Tbh the only thing I'd think having poor knees would effect would be running.

It's good you've not completely gave up and are actually doing something, if you want to change.

I don't have a problem with people who don't want to change, I just think it's sad many people delude themselves into thinking they can't change because of x, y and z.

you would think

but in my case this wouldnt happen since my left knee does not bend 90% of the time
Reply 74
coz we're already thin, exercise is for fat ppl lolol
Reply 75
Original post by jokosor
LOL mmm are we talking about muscular or what here? Blacks usually exercise to bulk up...

Cut, You would say i'm weedy, but I'm pretty muscular if you saw me in a t shirt. I'm not a meathead, I exercise to be fast and strong, not just to be able to lift a dumbell.
Reply 76
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
you would think

but in my case this wouldnt happen since my left knee does not bend 90% of the time

Well you probably know your limits and don't need some randomer on the internet telling you what you can/can't do, my only real point was that very few people are completely incapable of exercise, and you're not since you do do exercise.
Reply 77
Losing weight/getting fitter can't be compared to climbing Everest...

'phenomenal amounts'? hardly. I don't think every one I see at my gym regularly has 'phenomenal amounts' of will power. Just at least the required amount to turn up and do what they gotta do.
(edited 12 years ago)
tbh this isn't just related to fitness. It's related to everything else in the world.

There are just too many "I can't"'s in the world, it's that simple.
Reply 79
Original post by Spontogical
tbh this isn't just related to fitness. It's related to everything else in the world.

There are just too many "I can't"'s in the world, it's that simple.

Good point.

Quick Reply

Latest