The Student Room Group

Weight - I want to cry :(

Inspired by that stomach-measurement thread I went on that website where you calculate BMI, waist measurement etc etc.

And was horrified when it told me I should lose 10 pounds even though I'm in the healthy weight range :eek: :frown: :frown: :frown: :mad: :mad:

And was suicidal when my mum told me she completely agrees! :mad: :mad: :mad: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

I don't consider myself particularly overweight...I'm 17, 5"5 and just under 10 stone - is this too fat for a girl my age and height?

I actually want to die now - how the hell am I gonna lose 10 pounds? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
do some exercise
Reply 2
you sound fine! seriously dont worry!!
Reply 3
I think youre being a bit dramatic. Take a look around next time you go out, and you'll find alot more girls your age who are actually fat.

Have an apple.
Reply 4
Yes, slightly. I may not be a girl, but I am 19 and edging around 20 stone somewhere... May have a fairly strong build and not look wholly like a whale, but there are people out there who get the word 'morbidly' followed by 'obese' when they calculate their BMI, and they have far more to worry about.

Just remember to be happy with yourself, and then if anyone tries to fault you, you realise how little it means. If you care that much about what people think, then I would suggest changing that, rather than going out and running around.
Reply 5
I dont think youre overweight. maybe you just need to tone up a little. try sit ups and stomach crunches and yoga. try changing your diet. switch chocolate bars for cereal bars, white bread, pasta and rice for wholemeal, snack on fruit instead of uhealthy things such as crisps. eat fish and white meat like chicken instead of red meat. cut out fast food, and have lots of veg with your meals. switch full fat mayo, salad dressings etc for low fat. dont deprive yourself of everything you like though, one a week or so have a chocolate bar, have a take away once a month, they are ok in moderation! drink plenty of water, at least 2 litres a day. you should feel a lot healthier for doing this, and will notice the difference in your skin and hair. i dont really think that bmi thing is that accurate, people who do a lot of exersice will prob weigh more as they will have more muscle, but they wont be overweight.
Anonymous
Inspired by that stomach-measurement thread I went on that website where you calculate BMI, waist measurement etc etc.

And was horrified when it told me I should lose 10 pounds even though I'm in the healthy weight range :eek: :frown: :frown: :frown: :mad: :mad:

And was suicidal when my mum told me she completely agrees! :mad: :mad: :mad: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

I don't consider myself particularly overweight...I'm 17, 5"5 and just under 10 stone - is this too fat for a girl my age and height?

You sound fine to me.I'm 5'2 and used to weight 10 stone and I was never fat...just a little bit chubbier than I wanted to be-but as I say,I'm a bit shorter than you.You look fine I bet.

A website told me I need to lose a few BMI points too-tbh,BMI is not a good indicator of overweight-ness anyway.If you want to lose weight do it sensibly and slowly-don't crash diet or you'll end up gaining all the weight and more back!
5'5 and under 10 stone is within healthy weight range...i bet your not any bigger than a size 12 are u if not a 10.
Reply 8
I don't eat badly at all though - no junk food, ever, very rarely have chocolate and crisps and lots of fruit and veggies. And I do quite a lot of exercise too. :frown: I don't *look* fat...I don't think - my stomach's relatively flattish, the only thing I don't like is how big my thighs are.

Sorry if I sound so pathetic about this, but having my *mother* tell me I need to lose 10 pounds is really getting me down!
Anonymous

Please do not let all this get to you so much :smile:

BMI stuff cannot be taken too seriously when you get the info off a website. There are so many individual circumstances which need to be considered.

Yes you may need to lose 10 pounds to be what some consider the ideal weight for someone your height, but it doesn't mean that is best for you. But so what even if you should lose a few pounds? It would probably make you stick thin if you did that and that wouldn't be something many people would like.

It sounds as though you are probably fine as you are, but if you feel you really want to lose the 10 pounds then don't do anything drastic, just try and be that little bit more active in what you do and eat that little bit more healthily....I'd say no serious diets what so ever are necessary :smile:
Did you do the stupid BMI site where it tells you the "peoples ideal" weight. It tells you what people think you should weigh.

It told me I should way 6 stone 7lbs.
Which is infact underweight.

How comes you should loose 10lbs if you are in the healthy range?
Reply 11
FireDeuce
Did you do the stupid BMI site where it tells you the "peoples ideal" weight. It tells you what people think you should weigh.

It told me I should way 6 stone 7lbs.
Which is infact underweight.

How comes you should loose 10lbs if you are in the healthy range?

I don't knoooow! But if it says I should, and my parents think I should, then I obviously have to don't I!

*Begins diet*
Anonymous
I don't knoooow! But if it says I should, and my parents think I should, then I obviously have to don't I!

*Begins diet*

No you don't. If you are happy with yourself the way you were before you looked at the BMI stuff and you are fit and healthy with the way you are, then you shouldn't feel like you need to do anything :smile:

For me personally, I think the BMI stuff says I'm fine (maybe need to gain or lose a couple of pounds...not sure which) but really I'm not that fine. I think I'm pretty unhealthy and have too much fat in some places, especially on my stomach and thighs, but other places I'm way too thin. There are just too many variables in individuals for someone who is trained in weight gain and loss areas to be able to say what you need to do.....and a computer certainly shouldn't be taken too seriously :smile:
Reply 13
Anonymous
I don't eat badly at all though - no junk food, ever, very rarely have chocolate and crisps and lots of fruit and veggies. And I do quite a lot of exercise too. :frown: I don't *look* fat...I don't think - my stomach's relatively flattish, the only thing I don't like is how big my thighs are.

Sorry if I sound so pathetic about this, but having my *mother* tell me I need to lose 10 pounds is really getting me down!

you do sound pathetic. you're 'suicidal' about your weight, yet admit you 'don't look fat'?!!! hmmmm. wtf are you trying to say? 'i know i'm not fat but i'm sooooooooo fat' ?! and my mother's told me many things which are much worse than that. get over it. if you're fat, lose weight. if not, don't be an attention seeker.
Reply 14
Woah - sorry - I'm not meaning to send out mixed messages - what I mean is I don't look overweight but have a bit too much flab if ya know what I mean - and my parents think my weight is too high for my age and height etc. Sorry :s
Reply 15
Anonymous

That's ridiculous. I'm a couple of inches shorter than you and weigh a few lb's more and i'm pretty happy how I am so stop worrying. It said you're in healthy weight range, BMI calculators deffo shouldn't be suggesting you lose weight. You're fine.
Hey, please don't worry about it. Honestly, you're fine. Really. If you had my BMI you would be upset, believe me. If YOU'RE happy with your weight, then don't listen to some stupid BMI reading and carry on as you are. If you do want to lose 10lb, thats fine too, its your body, do what makes you happy. The basic advice is cut out the crap, eat sensibly and exercise more. But you really really sound fine.
Reply 17
I kind of know how you feel. I am in the healthy weight range but I'm not thin...I have significant blubber...lol Thing is it's all on my arse and thighs rather than on my chest where it should be. My whole body's just an out of proportion mess to be honest! I do bring it upon myself though-too much crisps and chocolate...so so tasty but so so bad! Still, better to enjoy food than to be one of these annoying types who just picks at a lettuce leaf then declares they're full after a couple of mouthfulls. Yawn!
my bmi told me i had 7% body fat or something like that and my friends keep saying im like an orphan off the oxfam appeals even though i eat and drink more than the whole town put together. :frown:
Jesus, this is exactly why people shouldn't make retarded threads like that one. Can't remember who started the other thread, but I'm going to neg rep them.

Latest

Trending

Trending