The Student Room Group

Costochondritis - How common in young people? (Chest Pain)

Hey!

So recently I was diagnosed with a condition called Costochondritis.
This is a painful condition of the chest wall. It is caused by inflammation in the joints between the cartilages that join the ribs to the sternum. Usually it has no obvious cause and settles over time.

I was told that it was common in young people, a conversation with friends at lunchtime today revealed that several of my friends had been diagnosed with the same thing.

It is apparently often mistaken for Angina, or even heart attack in some as it can move up as high as the collar bone in some cases.

Is this just a coincidence? Or is it really that common?
Does anyone else have this condition or a similar condition? How do you deal with it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes I have had this condition since Nov 2011. A month later I went to the doctors, they gave me ibuprofen, cocadomol they did not work. So they gave me an ibuprofen gel this only worked temporarily. So they reffered me to a physiotherapist, they gave me some tips such as swimming backstroke on how to tackle it and some body stance I should do and repeat everyday, they help a bit. Aswell as cracking the joints in my chest. I have asked the physiotherpist If I could get a steroid injection they told me that I will have to speak to my GP. This conndition can get worse and improve. Some people have this condition for weeks, some for months and for some it can be chronic, this may be possibly me. I don't get that sharp pain that often, I can just feel that a lot amount of Inflammation in the ribs of my left and a bit on my right this. The intensity varies over time.
I have this! The doctor gave me anti-inflammatories which pretty much sorted it out, I guess I'm just lucky really.
Reply 3
Original post by iheartdjokovic
I have this! The doctor gave me anti-inflammatories which pretty much sorted it out, I guess I'm just lucky really.

What type of anti-inflammatories had the doctors given you?
Original post by iceman95
What type of anti-inflammatories had the doctors given you?

It says diclofenac on the packet :smile:
Reply 5
I had something like this, was given cocodamol and an anti-inflammatory (possibly diclofenac too) after weeks of being fobbed off with paracetamol.
Reply 6
It says diclofenac on the packet :smile:

Is it a gel or is it oral?
Is it a gel or is it oral?

oral
I have had costocondritus for 17 months now and have tried normal painkiller, sodium diclofenac and physiotherapy which help for a bit but my problem is due to posture so will keep coming back due to my work.
Sometimes you are lucky and it goes away but other times it is something you have to live with for the rest of your life
I had that, was given cocodamol as far as I remember. Had oesophagitis and gastritis at the same time, which didn't help matters. Hurts horribly but relaxing the muscles if you can, supporting your upper half with pillows and avoiding heavy lifting/work does tend to help. The worst for me was going out in the snow (as this was over Christmas a few years back), it was horrible!
i have had it for 17 months and have tried painkillers, diclofenac and physio. Sometimes you get it for a few months others you have to live with it for the rest of your life.
Reply 11
oral

Oryt I have ordered an Ibuleve Maximum Strength Gel I had this before but was from a different manufactur it helped a lot in the first couple days and then only worked a bit. If that doesn't work I'm going to get what you used :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
i have had it for 17 months and have tried painkillers, diclofenac and physio. Sometimes you get it for a few months others you have to live with it for the rest of your life.

Try getting a cortisone shot
I have this - went to doctors time and time again and they didn't diagnose it - was eventually diagnosed by chiropractor (and then later confirmed by GP). When the pain got really, really bad (we're talking curled up in a ball crying and eventually going to A&E) I got given Cocodamol Dioclefenac and told if that didn't work then steroid injections were another option.

Anyhow, it worked for a while...the condition comes and goes with me, but for the most part is chronic and involves low to mid level pain (mid level I start taking ibuprofen). At the moment it's noticable, but not bad enough to warrant taking painkillers. I have some cocodamol left over from last time if the pain becomes crippling again, but the cocodamol makes me *really* spaced out, so I take it as a last resort.
Reply 14
Original post by WolfSong2000
I have this - went to doctors time and time again and they didn't diagnose it - was eventually diagnosed by chiropractor (and then later confirmed by GP). When the pain got really, really bad (we're talking curled up in a ball crying and eventually going to A&E) I got given Cocodamol Dioclefenac and told if that didn't work then steroid injections were another option.

Anyhow, it worked for a while...the condition comes and goes with me, but for the most part is chronic and involves low to mid level pain (mid level I start taking ibuprofen). At the moment it's noticable, but not bad enough to warrant taking painkillers. I have some cocodamol left over from last time if the pain becomes crippling again, but the cocodamol makes me *really* spaced out, so I take it as a last resort.

Have u tried steroid injection then? And what do you mean by spaced out? i asked my physiotheraphy they said that I'll have to speak to my GP in regards of getting a steroid injection. They said that i may be too young as im 17 years ol and I may have to do an X RAY before i can get an injection.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
I have had this problem for around 2 and a half years i was fobbed off from my gp first with paracetomal then ipburefan and then neproxen which all dont work i get the shar pain 3-5 times a day and is worse if im sat down for some time, the tigtness is very painful until i crack my bones which is very painful but helps with the pain, sneezing is now agonising, not sure to go back to my doctor beause they will just give me more pills that dont work, not really sure what to do next........
I had something like this but it was sometimes a dull ache and other times it was a really sharp stabbing pain in my chest. But it was spontaneous and happened randomly for a few minutes then it would disappear. I did see the doctor once and he said at my age not to worry as it is most likely a muscle strain or something. I used to get it really frequently when i was younger but fortunately over the years it has gradually died down and i only get it occasionally.
(edited 11 years ago)
Have u tried steroid injection then? And what do you mean by spaced out? i asked my physiotheraphy they said that I'll have to speak to my GP in regards of getting a steroid injection. They said that i may be too young as im 17 years ol and I may have to do an X RAY before i can get an injection.

No, not had steroid injection (yet). Just told by GP it was an option. And by spaced out, I mean just that...feeling a little unstable on my feet, a bit "out of it" and a bit woozy.
Reply 18
I was searching costochondritis on internet then i found this page. Many people here saying that they are suffering from chest pain but no one is saying that they have good vitamin D level means upto 30ng/ml to 80ng/ml.
Since two months i am also suffering from this pain and pressure type feeling at chest or at sternum bone.When my pain starts then i get check my vitamin d level and my vitamin d level was 5ng/ml which is very low then i take two mega dose intra muscular injection of D3 600, 000 iu with two weeks gap. I eat salmon fish three times in week. i use ibuprofen gel too. Now My vitamin D level is going to be normal and my costochodritis pressure & pain is also decreasing.
I just googled this, and I THINK I had what you're describing easily... a year ago? I never knew what it was at the time as I never bothered to go to the doctors as it went by it's self. So thanks for helping me find it out! :wink: But honestly, I don't know how common it is. I was 15 ish when I had mine, but at least you know you're not the only one whos had it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending