The Student Room Group

He/She'll never tell you they like you. Will you then?

Say you liked someone would you ever tell him/her? What if you had a feeling he/she would NEVER say?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well?
Lol I'm totally in this position right now, I'm no sure whether he'll ever say anything, or if it will have to be me, and everytime I convince myself I have to say something I never do because eventually it comes down to him being the boy and traditional values and all that stuff.

Also I'm friends with him, so if he orally did not see me in that way, it would be major cringe and end of our friendship...
Reply 3
I'd say (and have done before) just so I wasn't keeping anything from her.
Totally* not orally.... LOL
Reply 5
I had the exact same thing with a close friend... I told him I liked him on a night out and he just sorta shrugged..... it was very akward for the first couple of days but we soon got back to how we were before.... I would say go for it, so that at least you finally know but it sucks in my case cause even though i now know it will never happen I cant stop having feelings for him :P
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Lol I'm totally in this position right now, I'm no sure whether he'll ever say anything, or if it will have to be me, and everytime I convince myself I have to say something I never do because eventually it comes down to him being the boy and traditional values and all that stuff.

Also I'm friends with him, so if he orally did not see me in that way, it would be major cringe and end of our friendship...

Yeah I guess it is looked at as the man's job. But some lack serious guys and will never say no matter how strong they feel for the girl. And if the girl doesn't say anything, the guy assumes she just isn't interested.
Reply 7
Original post by Karisliana
I had the exact same thing with a close friend... I told him I liked him on a night out and he just sorta shrugged..... it was very akward for the first couple of days but we soon got back to how we were before.... I would say go for it, so that at least you finally know but it sucks in my case cause even though i now know it will never happen I cant stop having feelings for him :P

Must have been hard for you but well done for saying because not many would, including men. At lease you don't have to think 'does he?' or 'what if'.
Reply 8
I don't actually really ever say "I like you". It's normally just assumed in my experience and eventually I ask her out as a girlfriend.
Original post by Tootles
I'd say (and have done before) just so I wasn't keeping anything from her.

How did you tell her/bring it up? In a similar situation to OP...
I was in this position but then I told him and well nothing came of it, it was if I hadn't.
Reply 11
How did you tell her/bring it up? In a similar situation to OP...
I rung her up, told her I was on my way round; there was something I needed to tell her. When I got there we went out for a cigarette and I said "I think you should know I've got feelings for you." She became very nervous very quickly, but she said she was glad I'd told her, even though she was with someone.
Kind of in this situation now as well.
Reply 13
Kind of in this situation now as well.

Why don't you tell him/her?
I will be telling someone that soon, but more importantly why I think she's great, which I hope will boost her confidence a bit (she's quite shy and quiet).

The thing is I'm not trying to get a date or anything out of it, I just want to tell her before I leave for uni, because I think she needs to know, I'll always be wondering "what if I had said that" and it'd be nice to pay her a compliment.
I just hope she doesn't turn around and call me a total freak, or something daft like that. Don't know why she would, she's very kind, but then again, there always is that fear of rejection, and a sense that "Maybe she doesn't want to hear that from me".

Any advice or ideas before I do tell her? :yes:
Reply 15
Original post by Bollo's Lovechild
I will be telling someone that soon, but more importantly why I think she's great, which I hope will boost her confidence a bit (she's quite shy and quiet).

The thing is I'm not trying to get a date or anything out of it, I just want to tell her before I leave for uni, because I think she needs to know, I'll always be wondering "what if I had said that" and it'd be nice to pay her a compliment.
I just hope she doesn't turn around and call me a total freak, or something daft like that. Don't know why she would, she's very kind, but then again, there always is that fear of rejection, and a sense that "Maybe she doesn't want to hear that from me".

First, don't duck out of it - make sure you tell her.

As for telling her, just tell her what you feel. If she's the person you describe, she'll be moved by it.
Saying "I really like you/ love you" when your basically just friends/acquaintances with her is not the route to go down... super cereal.
Original post by Mr Advice
First, don't duck out of it - make sure you tell her.

As for telling her, just tell her what you feel. If she's the person you describe, she'll be moved by it.

Thankyou, she is definitely the person who I've described, though, I at least, think she's very pretty so I don't know if she often gets compliments (a couple of my friends say she doesn't) but obviously that's not the most important thing here, so yeah I hope she'll be moved, like you said.
It's always reassuring to have some, well, reassurance, so thank you, will be pos repping your post in the morning on my laptop (if that matters lol) :biggrin:
Reply 18
Thankyou, she is definitely the person who I've described, though, I at least, think she's very pretty so I don't know if she often gets compliments (a couple of my friends say she doesn't) but obviously that's not the most important thing here, so yeah I hope she'll be moved, like you said.
It's always reassuring to have some, well, reassurance, so thank you, will be pos repping your post in the morning on my laptop (if that matters lol) :biggrin:

Yeah very few people will not take compliments nicely especially quiet people. The smile they give after it is worth a million words.

Lol well I'm not into the rep system but it's up to you.

Why would you tell her if your not wanting a date from it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending