The Student Room Group

Contraceptive injection when pregnant

Hi there, my girlfriend is normally on the contraceptive injection but she hasn't had it in a few months so it could have ran out. A few days ago she said to me that she thinks she might be pregnant, she has done a test and it is negative, but it is very early and it probably wouldn't be showing on a test after a few days?

Anyway, she is now convinced she is not pregnant (even though i told her it won't be accurate) and she is having her next injection in a few days. What will happen if she is pregnant but still goes ahead with the injection?
Reply 1
bump :smile:
Are you going with her? They should ask if theres any risk she might be pregnant and if there is, they shouldn't give it to her until she knows she isn't. If you think she wont say anything go with her and mention it
Reply 3
The depo injection is licensed for (I think, please someone correct me if wrong) 3 months, but it is actually effective for a couple of weeks longer than that. If you are going back on depo and your last one has already run out by the licensed dates (they work out the dates on a calender pretty thoroughly before you have the injection) you will be given a pregnancy test before they do the next injection, even if the injection is still technically effective. I had the depo continuously for about 2 years. A couple of times I was late in having the injection and each time I was late I had to have a pregnancy test before they came anywhere near me with the needle.

Having said that, yes pregnancy tests are not always 100% accurate, even the ones they do in the clinic. In the very very unlikely scenario that she was given another pregnancy test, which was also falsely negative, and she had the injection, it could potentially harm the foetus. But you have to remember there is a very low probability of two pregnancy tests being wrong.
Reply 4
Hi i had my first injection and doctors never asked me if i mite be pregnant before having it done...before i had my 2nd injection i had bleeding for 5 weeks...i had my second injection and the doctor then asked me if i know if i was pregnant before having my first injection i said i didnt know i never got asked...i then got told 2 weeks ago that the bleeding would slow down its still the same...could it be possible that i was pregnant n the injection killed it...if so will i have to give birth to it

Quick Reply

Latest