The Student Room Group

What is the best age to move out of your family home?

Scroll to see replies

I'm planning to move out straight after my PGCE is over and I have my first teaching job sorted, I'll be like 24 but the time will be right, I could afford to go now but I'd be on the absolute breadline with almost no income at all so it wouldn't be feasible. Can't wait to have my own flat though, so exciting! :biggrin: I love the independence I got from living at Uni
I 'moved out' to university at 18 and absolutely love the independence. I do come home for holidays and don't enjoy it too much to be honest. I really hope I don't have to move back home after uni, I think that would really frustrate me. The only thing I'm not so keen on is living with housemates, but I don't mind so much that I'd rather live at home.
Reply 22
I think its all up to the individual tbh. I have friends my age (21) that have stayed at home and moved out. I stayed at home to go to uni luckily cause there was only a 20 minute commute on average to my uni. I'd love to move out and get started with my life but I probably won't until I'm financially capable enough not to have to take out a loan or rely on my parents. Luckily, through working loads, I haven't ever had to rely upon either so far. I'll give it a few months when I've started a proper job after uni, and I know what I'm roughly gonna do with my life. Still got another year of uni and loads of thinking to do! Hopefully be out on my own by 24 :smile:
Reply 23
I moved out at 27 when I saved enough to buy my own apartment. Of course I can move out earlier but I won't be able to save for the deposit.
Reply 24
I'm always surprised how many people want to leave home so much, maybe its just because my parents are pretty lax with rules but I'm gonna miss them so much when I go to uni in 19. I feel as if I'm the only one :frown:
Reply 25
You're not the only one. I love living at home and know I will miss it when it comes to moving out for good.

I moved out and got a house (not halls) with two of my friends when I was 18, after we all started uni. It was a great experience and I definitely learnt how much effort goes into taking care of yourself and became well acquainted with some of the negatives no one tells you about independent living, but the pro definitely outweighed the cons.

Saying that, I moved back home after a year and a half (my family home is only a 20min bus ride from my uni). With no rent and groceries to pay I was able to quit my (horrible) part-time job and become more involved with uni societies and voluntary work in my field.

I am still at uni (almost finished my masters), planning to work abroad in the coming months, after which I'll be able to finally move out for good. Though I will miss living with my family. :smile:
I don't think you can really put an age on these things, but it depends if you count university or not. Since you normally go home when it's not term-time during your university years, I guess that doesn't really count. Having said that, I don't go home much when it's the school year, and will be even less so next year when it's my year abroad. But if you don't count university years, then I guess when someone finished their studies and has enough time to secure a job/find a place. Although this could go beyond your mid-20s if you're doing a PhD or a very long course for example, it seems to be engrained in my brain that this should be before you're 25, and I'm not quite sure why.
Reply 27
Original post by Teatania
You're not the only one. I love living at home and know I will miss it when it comes to moving out for good.

I moved out and got a house (not halls) with two of my friends when I was 18, after we all started uni. It was a great experience and I definitely learnt how much effort goes into taking care of yourself and became well acquainted with some of the negatives no one tells you about independent living, but the pro definitely outweighed the cons.

Saying that, I moved back home after a year and a half (my family home is only a 20min bus ride from my uni). With no rent and groceries to pay I was able to quit my (horrible) part-time job and become more involved with uni societies and voluntary work in my field.

I am still at uni (almost finished my masters), planning to work abroad in the coming months, after which I'll be able to finally move out for good. Though I will miss living with my family. :smile:

Agreed. I love my family dearly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending