The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Things you wish you knew before starting uni at Nottingham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Thanks! Yeah, I'll definitely look around before committing to anywhere.

I usually train early in the morning so I'm hoping traffic isn't an issue. Last question (I promise!) but is there showers (open or closed showers?) and lockers in case I have a lecture straight after in the morning?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
If you see a yellow bus around campus (the unite bus) you can get on this too even if you dont live at St. Peters Court for £1 it takes you into town (near corner house).
Original post by Thaws
Thanks! Yeah, I'll definitely look around before committing to anywhere.

I usually train early in the morning so I'm hoping traffic isn't an issue. Last question (I promise!) but is there showers (open or closed showers?) and lockers in case I have a lecture straight after in the morning?

There are changing rooms and showers, though I never used them as I'd run back to my hall as a warm down then shower. The weight room has shelves as you go in to leave bags on (there may be lockers elsewhere, I can't remember), so your stuff won't be locked away but it is in plain sight so you can keep an eye on it.
Reply 43
Guys, is it worth buying fancy dress stuff now? Someone on FaceBook said that all halls have different events so there's no point buying them now - is this true? :\
Original post by Jin3011
Guys, is it worth buying fancy dress stuff now? Someone on FaceBook said that all halls have different events so there's no point buying them now - is this true? :\

Half the fun of fancy dress is taking a trip into the city centre (probably the first time you'll have been there) with your new friends to get stuff. If you have something cool like a decent superhero costume, then by all means bring it, but most themes can be dealt with through Primark and a bit of creativity.
Reply 45
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Half the fun of fancy dress is taking a trip into the city centre (probably the first time you'll have been there) with your new friends to get stuff. If you have something cool like a decent superhero costume, then by all means bring it, but most themes can be dealt with through Primark and a bit of creativity.

Ah ok, thanks Fission! :tongue:
Reply 46
On the subject of fancy dress, can I voice my opinion that ONESIES DON'T COUNT. :naughty: I promise you you'll have twentybillion times the fun if you get together some makeshift costume.

Original post by Jin3011

I'd say just make stuff when you get there. Even after Freshers there was *plenty* of opportunity for fancy dress throughout the year and half the fun is making the most amazing costumes out of as little as possible! A friend and I spent a few nights over a couple of weeks making her a full on Disney princess castle costume out of cardboard we found lying around our halls, haha. Fully-functioning drawbridge and everything.
Reply 47
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Gold sports membership isn't really worth it, IMO. Unless things have changed significantly since I last used it in 1st year, the weights room is too small to use properly unless your lecture schedule allows you to plan your sessions for when the gym isn't busy, rather than when you aren't busy.

I stopped going after one day when people were literally queuing for a bench and the following day when I finally got to bench press and somebody squeezing past promptly walked into the bar.

But that's pretty boring. Here's something I really wish I had known in advance:

The Victoria Hotel, Beeston
The Crown, Beeston
The Organ Grinder, Canning Circus
The Bell Inn, town centre
The Malt Cross, town centre
BrewDog, Lace Market
The Ropewalk, Canning Circus
Hand & Heart, as above
Old Salutation, near the castle
Trip to Jerusalem, pretty much under the castle

Also the Canal House (on Canal St), The Newshouse, The Lion in Forest Fields, and the Stratford Haven in Bridgford. I think someone already mentioned the Vat & Fiddle.

Of course none of these compare to the delights of the Happy Return and Bag of Nails.

Things people should know: that if you take the short cut opposite Subway, Jublilee Campus is only a 15 minute walk away from UP, so why wait for the bus?
Original post by Miahrose
On the subject of fancy dress, can I voice my opinion that ONESIES DON'T COUNT. :naughty: I promise you you'll have twentybillion times the fun if you get together some makeshift costume.

I'd say just make stuff when you get there. Even after Freshers there was *plenty* of opportunity for fancy dress throughout the year and half the fun is making the most amazing costumes out of as little as possible! A friend and I spent a few nights over a couple of weeks making her a full on Disney princess castle costume out of cardboard we found lying around our halls, haha. Fully-functioning drawbridge and everything.

Damm,just bought a monkey onesie the other day:/

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 49
Original post by Ps3SuperSRG

Hahaha, don't worry. It's just my opinion (as a self-diagnosed fancy dress addict :colone:). You'll get plenty of use outta that onesie.
Hahaha, don't worry. It's just my opinion (as a self-diagnosed fancy dress addict :colone:). You'll get plenty of use outta that onesie.

Haha,hope so!
But making your own stuff does sound awesome:awesome:

Original post by Ps3SuperSRG

To be fair, I used the same home-made costume 3 times in freshers' week, just to get the most out of it :p:

Here's a photo of me wearing it for a campus A-Z photo competition a few weeks later: http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/makethechange/educationnetwork/schoolreps/.

(Definitely not a subtle hint to run for Course Rep!! :p: )
Reply 52
Original post by DarkWhite
To be fair, I used the same home-made costume 3 times in freshers' week, just to get the most out of it :p:

Here's a photo of me wearing it for a campus A-Z photo competition a few weeks later: http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/makethechange/educationnetwork/schoolreps/.

(Definitely not a subtle hint to run for Course Rep!! :p: )

Haha! That's a pretty cool costume. My most treasured creation was the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. Cut up a pillow case for it though and was left pillow case-less for a few months.

I was thinking of running for my course Rep but I'm undecided about it all...
But ooh, fancy new SU website. Lookin' good. :cool:
Haha! That's a pretty cool costume. My most treasured creation was the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. Cut up a pillow case for it though and was left pillow case-less for a few months.

I was thinking of running for my course Rep but I'm undecided about it all...
But ooh, fancy new SU website. Lookin' good. :cool:

That sounds difficult and detailed - props to you!! Yeah candidates in elections are known for using their bed sheets as banners :p:

Oh definitely run for Course Rep! There are loads of awesome projects to get involved in this year and can even get academic credits for it :smile:

Aye new website. Much prefer this design, just need to finish getting the content on.. Websites excite me too much!! :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 54
That sounds difficult and detailed - props to you!! Yeah candidates in elections are known for using their bed sheets as banners :p:

Oh definitely run for Course Rep! There are loads of awesome projects to get involved in this year and can even get academic credits for it :smile:

Aye new website. Much prefer this design, just need to finish getting the content on.. Websites excite me too much!! :biggrin:

Hahaha not really! Made a tunic from a pillowcase, drew on a heart, made an oversized clock, bunny ears & I was ready to go :P

Oooh, it's so tempting! I should really throw myself into stuff more, I always um and err about stuff like this and then miss out on it completely :rolleyes:

Ha! Same here. I may have been stalking that new Moodle thing on and off over the last few weeks willing them on to add more content... :ninja:
Hahaha not really! Made a tunic from a pillowcase, drew on a heart, made an oversized clock, bunny ears & I was ready to go :P

Oooh, it's so tempting! I should really throw myself into stuff more, I always um and err about stuff like this and then miss out on it completely :rolleyes:

Ha! Same here. I may have been stalking that new Moodle thing on and off over the last few weeks willing them on to add more content... :ninja:

Fair enough, I can imagine me doing so much wrong even then!

Go for it! I was always the type not to get involved then ran to be a Course Rep, joined lots of societies and have loved every minute since. Genuinely can't big up taking up opportunities enough :biggrin:

Aye, that also needs more content, but much much better than the old system, WebCT *shudders*

Reply 56
Would anybody please to able to tell me what a Mango Card is seeing as they've been mentioned several times and I don't really get what they are :colondollar:
Reply 57
Original post by kec
Would anybody please to able to tell me what a Mango Card is seeing as they've been mentioned several times and I don't really get what they are :colondollar:

They're cards you top up with money & then you can use on buses to pay for your fare - spending less using the card than if you were using cash to pay. Sort of like an Oyster card. I wouldn't say it's particularly worth it though as there are bus companies that have a flat rate of £1 if you show them your student card that do the same routes.

Can't deny that company puts in effort though - at Christmas they had a poor bloke dressed as a Mango wandering around Beeston in the snow.
They're cards you top up with money & then you can use on buses to pay for your fare - spending less using the card than if you were using cash to pay. Sort of like an Oyster card. I wouldn't say it's particularly worth it though as there are bus companies that have a flat rate of £1 if you show them your student card that do the same routes.

Can't deny that company puts in effort though - at Christmas they had a poor bloke dressed as a Mango wandering around Beeston in the snow.

Original post by kec

Basically, you get 30% off bus fares on Trent Barton buses, one of the main bus companies. You pre-pay to top up the card, which you can do online, so it's quick and easy.

Similar to Oyster cards, there's an initial I think £3 fee for the card, but they do give them away for free at Freshers' Fair and when they do they come with a £5 or £10 to-up. I came away with about £100 of free bus travel!

I'd definitely say they're worth picking up if they're going for free. The other advantage to Trent Barton buses is not having to have exact change :smile:
Reply 59

Basically, you get 30% off bus fares on Trent Barton buses, one of the main bus companies. You pre-pay to top up the card, which you can do online, so it's quick and easy.

Similar to Oyster cards, there's an initial I think £3 fee for the card, but they do give them away for free at Freshers' Fair and when they do they come with a £5 or £10 to-up. I came away with about £100 of free bus travel!

I'd definitely say they're worth picking up if they're going for free. The other advantage to Trent Barton buses is not having to have exact change :smile:

Thank you to both of you! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending