The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's not as likely for you to get an offer from a uni if you're going to be 17 as most due to legal reasons or something can only have 18+ year olds. I think you should talk to your school/college about differing entry. I could have applied for the 2006 entry but as next to no uni's would have accepted me due to my age I saw it as pointless. I’m going to be taking at least 1 year out but it may end up being as much as 3 or 4 years it depends. I’m not saying don’t try to go to uni at 17 years of age. You can contact the uni’s with the course you would like to do and see if they will take you but as I said not many do. Hope that helps.
Reply 2
one of my mates started bristol when she was 17 but she turned 18 about 3/4 weeks later but i dunno if it'll be different for you. why not contact some uni admissions tutors and ask?
Reply 3
It really depends how 17 you are! If you're nearly 18, most will probably accept you. But if you're only just 17, you'll have more problems.
I think the 18+ requirement is because if unis admitted people under 18 they would need to have all the adults they will have contact with CRB checked! Which costs both money and time.
Reply 5
Not really. I recieved 6 conditional offers this year. The course starts in september and i'm not 17 until november. They didn't ask for parental consent etc.
Reply 6
Mush
Not really. I recieved 6 conditional offers this year. The course starts in september and i'm not 17 until november. They didn't ask for parental consent etc.

So you're just 16 now?

Wow, that's extremely young for university.

Have you not considered taking a gap year? I'm sure it'll do you good.
Reply 7
Yeah i'm just 16...but the job i want at the end of university has an age limit for application....and i may not get the job on first try, so i want to leave myself a couple of years between leaving uni and passing the age limit, so i have a good few chances at getting the job.

I have thought about the gap year, but i'd really rather not. I'm sure i'll get on fine.
Reply 8
Mush
Yeah i'm just 16...but the job i want at the end of university has an age limit for application....and i may not get the job on first try, so i want to leave myself a couple of years between leaving uni and passing the age limit, so i have a good few chances at getting the job.

I have thought about the gap year, but i'd really rather not. I'm sure i'll get on fine.

Mmm okay, what kind of job is this? A job that requires you to apply by the age of 19?

Anyhow, you might want to give this thread a read: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=212450.
Reply 9
Knogle, a fair number of Scottish students, mostly at Scottish universities, are 17. It's just the way their education system works :smile:
Reply 10
dogtanian
Knogle, a fair number of Scottish students, mostly at Scottish universities, are 17. It's just the way their education system works :smile:

Ah, okay.

They must be really bright kids. :p:
Reply 11
Knogle
Mmm okay, what kind of job is this? A job that requires you to apply by the age of 19?

Anyhow, you might want to give this thread a read: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=212450.

RAF Officer ....minimum age of application - 23
Reply 12
Juno
It really depends how 17 you are! If you're nearly 18, most will probably accept you. But if you're only just 17, you'll have more problems.

Unfortunatly I'll be just 17 when i plan to go to uni and just 16 when i apply as my birthday is in june. I'll probably ask around.
A gap year is really not an option for me, cause imagine all your friends going to college while you're staying on your fat ass doin nothing, and then all your friends graduating a year before you. thats other than the fact that my parents will make my life a living hell if i really take a gap year.
Reply 13
Mush

this is definately a great relief for me... could you specify which unis you applied to?? as it would be a waste to give up one of my 6 choices to a school that might not even consider me .... and have you had any other difficulties during the process of application as i heard if you are under the age of 18 your UCAS app to unis is highlited.
loads of people go at 17 or even younger, Birmingham uni for example has a policy that you must be 17 at the start of your first term
however if you leave your parents before you're 18 then the university becomes your guardian and you may have to live on campus etc
Reply 15
gianthead
loads of people go at 17 or even younger, Birmingham uni for example has a policy that you must be 17 at the start of your first term
however if you leave your parents before you're 18 then the university becomes your guardian and you may have to live on campus etc

Must be 17 at the start of your first term? Are you sure you said that right?
When I was researching universities, I didn't come across a single one that required you to be 18 (and I got offers from every uni I applied to - I was 17), so you shouldn't worry...

I could have applied for the 2006 entry but as next to no uni's would have accepted me due to my age I saw it as pointless.

If you're going to be 17 by September, then yes they would've. If they rejected you, it most likely wouldn't be because of your age.
Reply 17
morningtheft
When I was researching universities, I didn't come across a single one that required you to be 18 (and I got offers from every uni I applied to - I was 17), so you shouldn't worry...

I have found many uni prospectus that requiered you to be 18, or had at least some restrictions for student under 18 like you cant live on campus or you must have a letter of consent from parents or something like you can only get accepted if your app is permited by the director of addmition... however if they apply this in real life is another thing.
and could you please let me know which unis u applied to so i could know for sure that they take on 17 year olds?? thanx
Reply 18
Some Cambridge colleges do not accept applicant below the age of 18 (i.e. Trinity and St.John's GRRRRRRRRRRRR) which is why I didn't apply to Cambridge.
Reply 19
nightshade
this is definately a great relief for me... could you specify which unis you applied to?? as it would be a waste to give up one of my 6 choices to a school that might not even consider me .... and have you had any other difficulties during the process of application as i heard if you are under the age of 18 your UCAS app to unis is highlited.

I applied to just Glasgow University...which probably doesn't interest you. UCAS didn't highlight my application and no problem whatsoever showed up. I filled in my form, sent it away, got my offers. Incredibly easy and no fuss.

Latest

Trending

Trending