The Student Room Group

i hate driving examiners. what to do when youve failed a few times?

BASICALLY, we all know that driving examiners are seriously harsh and at times unfair. I understand their concern for not passing people as they are hazards on the road etc but when they fail people for silly unjustified reasons it just gets annoying!

i have my third test in a few weeks..first 2 tests failed for stupid reasons, the second test especially..on my third test should i say to the examiner that ive been here before or something so he knows? its so annoying :frown:

extra info: i know a girl who failed 1st time for driving "too fast", 2nd time she failed because she was "too hesitant" so the 3rd time she told the examiner that she cant seem to win,shes either too slow or too fast..and then she passed! too fast=not taking her time at a roundabout too slow=not taking an opportunity to pull out an a roundabout

thoughts???
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hah, ironically, that's what happened to me too! As soon as we got out of the test center I turned to the examiner and remarked "yeah, I know the drill, don't worry". I'm pretty certain I'd done much worse on that test than I ever had before and he passed me!
Reply 2
I personally wouldn't mention that you've sat the test before, because that might lead them to watch you even more closely, as they might just assume that you drive 'dangerously' or whatever. I know how you feel though, I've failed mine three times now, seemingly for really small mistakes, but I think you just have to get on with it. I don't really know anyone that passed first time, and we all say the exact same thing about the examiners, they all seem to be unfair :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hippysnake
hah, ironically, that's what happened to me too! As soon as we got out of the test center I turned to the examiner and remarked "yeah, I know the drill, don't worry". I'm pretty certain I'd done much worse on that test than I ever had before and he passed me!

smart idea! like you know the drill about eye check,questions etc?

i think when they start to explain what the procedure is ill say "yeah ive been here before so i know what to expect!" its so frustratinggggggg
Original post by Emily115
I personally wouldn't mention that you've sat the test before, because that might lead them to watch you even more closely, as they might just assume that you drive 'dangerously' or whatever. I know how you feel though, I've failed mine three times now, seemingly for really small mistakes, but I think you just have to get on with it. I don't really know anyone that passed first time, and we all say the exact same thing about the examiners, they all seem to be unfair :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i completely see your point! i dont feel like i can win in any situation..DSA are money grabbing vulchers and its really stressing me out! i just want to pass!! are you going for a fourth?
If I was you, I would just keep plugging at it and definitely do not tell him that you have had other tests. Portray that you're confident!

In my opinion, when examiners do not feel completely confident about your driving, they may be more likely to see the minor faults. So if you give an overall safe drive, and make the examiner feel safe, certain things are more likely to be overlooked. But saying that, some examiners are more lenient than others.

Personally, I failed my test twice. The first time, I was just not ready, failing with 1 dangerous fault, 3 serious and about 13 minor faults.

My second test had no minor faults but I hit the kerb so I was kicking myself, but I know if I passed at that point then I would not feel safe.

I did pass on my third attempt though after feeling as though I'll never get there.

So my advice to you OP, is to just keep trying. You will get there. I promise!
Reply 6
Original post by JustDisturbia
i completely see your point! i dont feel like i can win in any situation..DSA are money grabbing vulchers and its really stressing me out! i just want to pass!! are you going for a fourth?

Yep, got my fourth test booked, but if I don't pass this time, I won't be doing it again, I've been learning for ages and it's way too stressful!
Also, another reason I don't tell them I've done the test before is cuz by them explaining at the beginning what you'll have to do, you waste some time xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emily115
Yep, got my fourth test booked, but if I don't pass this time, I won't be doing it again, I've been learning for ages and it's way too stressful!
Also, another reason I don't tell them I've done the test before is cuz by them explaining at the beginning what you'll have to do, you waste some time xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

i feel the exact same way! but then youve wasted loads of money on lessons etc. I want to complain,but obviously it wont be heard lol.

True! but for some reason both tests of mine have been soooo long, like 50minutes,and ive been the first out and last back. :frown: i have the worst luck
Reply 8
i feel the exact same way! but then youve wasted loads of money on lessons etc. I want to complain,but obviously it wont be heard lol.

True! but for some reason both tests of mine have been soooo long, like 50minutes,and ive been the first out and last back. :frown: i have the worst luck

Yeah, that's the only reason I'm still trying, it's such a ridiculous amount of money :s-smilie:
That's really long! They generally last about half an hour where I go, then again they may just decide to take you back slightly early if you've failed..

Posted from TSR Mobile
BASICALLY, we all know that driving examiners are seriously harsh and at times unfair. I understand their concern for not passing people as they are hazards on the road etc but when they fail people for silly unjustified reasons it just gets annoying!

i have my third test in a few weeks..first 2 tests failed for stupid reasons, the second test especially..on my third test should i say to the examiner that ive been here before or something so he knows? its so annoying :frown:

extra info: i know a girl who failed 1st time for driving "too fast", 2nd time she failed because she was "too hesitant" so the 3rd time she told the examiner that she cant seem to win,shes either too slow or too fast..and then she passed!

thoughts???

What were the "stupid reasons" for you failing your tests?

Also, fast and hesitant are not opposites. Driving too fast would be too much speed in inappropriate situations, or breaking the speed limit. Being hesitant is waiting too long to act, sitting at a junction when you could have pulled out, that kind of thing.
Try and build up a rapport with the examiner. Be friendly and confident, without being cocky. Good luck!
Reply 11
You can be too fast and too hesitant. Say you wait 10 seconds after the light goes green to move off, but then accelerate to 100mph.

What did you fail on? Perhaps you can work on those things as well as the psychology of the examiner :wink:
Original post by Hopple
You can be too fast and too hesitant. Say you wait 10 seconds after the light goes green to move off, but then accelerate to 100mph.

What did you fail on? Perhaps you can work on those things as well as the psychology of the examiner :wink:

no minors for mirrors. 1 major said i didnt check my mirror when changing lane..BUT LUCKILY the lane was empty..yes i know the lane was empty because i checked my mirror :'( ugh
Reply 13
no minors for mirrors. 1 major said i didnt check my mirror when changing lane..BUT LUCKILY the lane was empty..yes i know the lane was empty because i checked my mirror :'( ugh

I suppose next time just make it really blatant you're checking your mirrors. Perhaps that'll work as part of your psychological plan, since the examiner will guess you know what's happening.
Original post by officelinebacker
What were the "stupid reasons" for you failing your tests?

Also, fast and hesitant are not opposites. Driving too fast would be too much speed in inappropriate situations, or breaking the speed limit. Being hesitant is waiting too long to act, sitting at a junction when you could have pulled out, that kind of thing.

no minors for mirrors. 1 major. said i didnt check my mirror when moving into an empty lane...but i did check,hence i knew it was empty..also hence no other minors, i always check my mirrors! its something i make really obvious..

also..
too fast=not taking her time at a roundabout
too slow=not taking an opportunity to pull out an a roundabout
that was literally the situation

extra info: i know a girl who failed 1st time for driving "too fast", 2nd time she failed because she was "too hesitant" so the 3rd time she told the examiner that she cant seem to win,shes either too slow or too fast..and then she passed! too fast=not taking her time at a roundabout too slow=not taking an opportunity to pull out an a roundabout

thoughts???

Maybe she should of stuck to the speed limit? Simple solution :colondollar:
Original post by Annuhlees
Maybe she should of stuck to the speed limit? Simple solution :colondollar:

too fast=not taking her time at a roundabout too slow=not taking an opportunity to pull out an a roundabout

maybe you should read the OP:colondollar:
I don't know where you guys are taking your tests, but in my area the only people who failed were the ones who were evidently not ready to do so (and the ones who failed 5+ times I still wouldn't get into a car with).

In regard to driving too hesitantly or boldly, you just have to make sure you're safe to pull out, and then do so. You'll see how obviously hesitant learner drivers can be after you pass and get some solid experience behind the wheel, though it doesn't feel like it to you at the time.

For example, I used to obey a set routine at every roundabout, whereas now I vary 2nd/3rd gear and whether to slow down or not based on the signs I know to look out for, I have more confidence to act on the information available instead of obeying a routine, and THEN looking for opportunities to pull out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
I passed first time with not a single minor, so if driving examiners are harsh i must be a driving god.
I know someone who failed their driving test because they were driving 'too safe' apparently, lol.

Latest