The Student Room Group

How do you approach a junction?

Hi everyone,

I passed my driving test 2 weeks ago and am still a bit unsure how to approach a junction! Bit worrying!

For approaching a t-junction what does everyone else do? Do you brake and go down the gears? or just come to a stop in the gear you are in (if you do that how do you not stall!?)? How far back from the junction will you start slowing down?

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

You passed but you don't know how to approach a junction?
Reply 2
For a T-junction, I will presume this is a give way one (line across the road which is dashed, double-dashed on your side) like:

Even if it's not, I would ALWAYS presume a junction to be a give-way junction. There's nothing worrying about a junction, but if you're unsure, you're wise to be cautious.

As you approach it, you should identify if it's an open or closed junction. An open junction has clear visibility both left and right as you approach it. This is a closed junction:

Notice you cannot see properly what's approaching. If you are in any doubt, brake, and change down. You want to pull out of a junction in a low gear, suitable for the speed, giving you control and acceleration. If you're stopping for the junction (say the road ahead isn't clear), then I would apply the brakes, change down to 2nd, wait till it's almost stopped, apply the clutch, change into first, do my checks on the junction to proceed, then proceed as normal, pulling away in first.

You can come to a "stop" in any gear you like, if you depress the clutch at the right point to stop it stalling (when the revs get low). But there's no real reason to. The distance to slow depends on the car, and how fast you are travelling! (and how quickly you like to stop). Approaching the junction, just be in the right gear for your speed (as always).
Reply 3
Thanks so much for your advice that's really helpful :smile:

To Ice Constricter, I know it sounds bad but i was confident in my instructor's car and now i am driving in my dad's car which is TOTALLY different and has knocked my confidence a bit :s-smilie:
full throttle, windows open, radio pumping, hand banging on the horn, screaming "move bitch move!"

success rate: 73%
Reply 5
Original post by Bellissima
full throttle, windows open, radio pumping, hand banging on the horn, screaming "move bitch move!"

success rate: 73%

LOL, that made my day!
Reply 6
Are you sure you've passed your test?
Reply 7
Original post by 101101
Are you sure you've passed your test?

See my comment above!
You passed your test but don't know how to approach a junction? :lolwut: Seriously, give your license back.
Reply 9
Original post by sarahthegemini
You passed your test but don't know how to approach a junction? :lolwut: Seriously, give your license back.

Please see comment above.
Original post by SpottedZebra
or just come to a stop in the gear you are in (if you do that how do you not stall!?)?

By keeping your foot on the clutch.
Reply 11
Foot off gas and brake as needed along with dipping clutch as needed to stop stalling

If you can anticipate early enough then the brake will not be needed until very near the give way line because simply coming off the gas will slow you down enough

No need to prat around with the gears until you know which you will need or until you get down to first gear speed in which case you might as well engage first whilst still on the brake as that gives you more options when you get to the give way line area
Reply 12
Backwards
Reply 13
Depends how fast you're going; I've just had my 5th lesson and I usually drop down to second to help slow the car down, then as I approach I slow down and check the road, if it's clear I keep going, if it isn't I drop down to first and stop. Pretty easy tbh :smile: Better to ask than crash tbh!!
Thanks so much for your advice that's really helpful :smile:

To Ice Constricter, I know it sounds bad but i was confident in my instructor's car and now i am driving in my dad's car which is TOTALLY different and has knocked my confidence a bit :s-smilie:

Surely approaching a junction would be the same principle regardless of the car you're driving? :confused:
Reply 15
Original post by Ice Constricter
Surely approaching a junction would be the same principle regardless of the car you're driving? :confused:

Yes but it has knocked me because the brakes are different, plus it's a more powerful and so the speeds I can get away with in different gears is different.
Reply 16
Thank you everyone for your helpful comments :smile:
Yes but it has knocked me because the brakes are different, plus it's a more powerful and so the speeds I can get away with in different gears is different.

But the people giving advice on this thread don't know what car you drive so can't give you an answer suited to the way your car drives. The advice on here is generic i.e. it will apply to you not matter the car you drive.

Sorry if I'm coming off as annoying now, but I'm just wondering.
Reply 18
Original post by Ice Constricter
But the people giving advice on this thread don't know what car you drive so can't give you an answer suited to the way your car drives. The advice on here is generic i.e. it will apply to you not matter the car you drive.

Sorry if I'm coming off as annoying now, but I'm just wondering.

Everyone giving advice will be driving a different car and so will do it slightly differently, giving me slightly different ideas that I can try out.

i passed my test with 3 minors, so I am a competent driver and was confident in approaching junctions in my instructor's car. I'm just struggling a bit with confidence after starting to drive a different car. The cars a 1.9 diesel, I learnt in a 1.3 petrol; they're very different cars to drive.
I am sticking my neck out here but I am guessing spotted zebra is female.
I understand your concern ice constrictor, but for some reason females have trouble adapting from one car to another.

I was once interviewed by a female insurance claim investigator who tried to blame a minor accident on me because I was driving "a car I wasn't used to" (It was my brothers).

I said what does that even mean as all vehicles are principally the same to drive, and explained I have no trouble adapting between vehicles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending