The Student Room Group

Post Grad degrees that come with a job!

Hi! I'm new on here so forgive me if I post in the wrong place!

I'm considering doing a masters degree sometime in the near future but was wondering if you can do a masters that comes with a job. I'm not talking about working and doing a masters part time in the evenings, but a job where you actually gain the degree as you work.

Does anybody know if you can do such a degree in History? I know someone who did a scientific masters as part of her job, but can't seem to find a history one.

Also I want to pay for it myself as I can't rely on student finance.
Sometimes you can get employers to sponsor you doing a Masters - but obviously this has to be clearly connected to the work you are doing, and you would be expected to do it in your own time, not theirs.

There are sometimes 'Traineeships' that come up at Museums, Archives etc etc that involve doing a Masters - but these are rare, and the study is directly focused on the job, and often a prerequisite for a professional registration (Librarian, Archivist etc). Again you'd be expected to do it in your own time and hold down a full-time job.

There is no 'Student Finance' at post-grad level. A good place to look for 'studentships' is at www.jobs.ac.uk - on the initial page scroll down to 'Studentships' right at the bottom of the page, and then select Masters. You will need a minimum 2.1 to apply.

Another good place to look for 'History related' work, internships or courses is a jobs board run by the Uni of Leicester : http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/museumstudies/JobsDesk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending