Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I was wondering if my current situation means that I might not get a tuition loan.
    I am an EU citizen, which means that I am entitled to the loan. However, last year I had put a university in England as my firm and a uni in Scotland as my insurance choice. I had a letter saying that I have a loan that would cover my whole tuition fee, but unfortunately didn't get the grades I needed to go to my firm choice, so I had to go to my insurance.

I wasn't happy with the way things turned out, but I decided that I will go and transfer later if I didn't like it that much. Turns out that in fact I really didn't like it: I wasn't satisfied with the quality of the teaching and the way the degree was structured, I felt that I wouldn't be able to challenge myself enough there, so I decided to drop out at the end of the first semester and work until next September and meanwhile apply again for the 13/14 school year (I got 5 unconditional offers) . I also started having some health problems, which influenced my decision to drop out and deal with them.

So, that brings me to my question: does me having gone to university in Scotland for only a semester and then dropping out because of the reasons I stated above lower my chances of getting a tuition loan for a uni in England?

Thank you!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Lu,

No this won't stop you receiving a tuition fee loan for your new course as every student is entitled to one extra year of funding over the length of their course that can be used for a false start.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi Lu,

No this won't stop you receiving a tuition fee loan for your new course as every student is entitled to one extra year of funding over the length of their course that can be used for a false start.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee
    Thank you so much! Could you also tell me when are the applications form for EU students going to be released on the website?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi again Lu,

You're very welcome and they will be available at http://www.gov.uk/studentfinance

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello again!

I already posted my application form but just yesterday I realized that I forgot to list one of the places I have lived in the past three years. It was not a permanent address and it lasted only four months, during the brief time i was in university last year. Is this a big problem and is it going to affect whether I get the loan?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi again Lu,

That's fine don't worry.

Mark

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!

Cheers,
    Lu

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.